Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Barista Video Contest
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Barista Video...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
shelifizzle
shelifizzle
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:37pm
Subject: Barista Video Contest

Hello fellow Coffee Geeks!!
I'm Sheli and I'm entered in a video contest with Allegro Coffee and I was hoping I could share my video with you all. In the video I present my signature drink, an Orange Spice Mocha. I am extremely passionate and hopeful that I can get enough votes for a chance to compete live so any views/votes are much appreciated. Hopefully this is the right thread for something like this, I apologize if it is not.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any potential votes I may receive! :)

http://enjoycoffee.com/videos/33
 View Profile Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:56pm
Subject: Re: Barista Video Contest

I liked the video and the drink sounds like it would be really good.  

However, there is a "raspy" sound to the video that got really irritating to my ears.  You may want to see if other people are hearing it.  I could see how it might psychologically put off some of the judges.

Also, does your grinder automatically dose and tamp for you?
shelifizzle
shelifizzle

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:07pm

strange, I didn't hear the raspy sound, my computer is pretty terrible though. Hopefully it's not too distracting!

Ugh, yeah it's a La Marzocco swift grinder. It's used in our retail situation where the goal is consistency. The coffee bar shift is unfortunately a burden to most team members and with the swift grinder, it provides a consistent shot every time regardless of training/ effort put into it. It's a downfall because due to improper/impatient grind adjustment, the motor seems to wear down quickly and is always in need of maintenance. Luckily, Whole Foods has no problem calling out coffee machine mechanics on the regular. When we're down an espresso grinder, the hand tamping is extremely inconsistent from team member to team member. I thought about grinding my coffee to hand tamp, but I thought it would look slightly ghetto to scoop  my coffee into the portafilter with a spoon. :) Some other regions are somehow lucky enough to have doser-less grinders, but thankful to be working on a Linea... many stores have super automatics, man, that would be terribly uninspiring!
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:50pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

However, there is a "raspy" sound to the video that got really irritating to my ears.

Posted February 5, 2013 link

Loved the video! Good idea. My wife loves Chocolate, so maybe this drink will be worth trying out.

The reason why the video sounds raspy is because the microphone is being over driven or is damaged.

I would try another Microphone or just try driving the microphone at a much lower volume.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 11:51am

Good job.  I liked how the portafilter locked into the grinder for less mess.  That is a good idea.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shelifizzle
shelifizzle

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 4:41pm

Thank you so much for watching the video! :)
myallawala
myallawala

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:05pm

What was that device she locked the portafilter into and got a loaded and ready puck to brew with? I'm assuming it's something that grinds and tamps but I've never seen anything like it. That's pretty wild.
shelifizzle
shelifizzle

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 12:58am

myallawala Said:

What was that device she locked the portafilter into and got a loaded and ready puck to brew with? I'm assuming it's something that grinds and tamps but I've never seen anything like it. That's pretty wild.

Posted March 1, 2013 link

It's a La Marzocco swift grinder. :)
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 9:53am

Indeed there's a raspy sound to the video, but anyway your Orange Spice Mocha is one of a kind. If you need votes, just post it, we'll help you out.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shelifizzle
shelifizzle

Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 10:26pm

Thanks for viewing and voting for my video!!! The contest is over now, it ended rather strangely. The top 4 people won, I came in 4th. The contest rules were changed after the contest was over because the top 4 people had so many votes that it wasn't fair to the other contestants. We all got 2 votes in the end, one for ourselves and one for someone else. If you could manage to randomly rack up more than a couple votes, you won. Very strange.

Thanks for the support, I really love how friendly the coffee community is! :)  

Sheli
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Barista Video...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29669213295)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+