Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Espresso Brew Ratios
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso Brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 5:33pm
Subject: Espresso Brew Ratios

I have a question about brew ratios. Most people (and videos online) talk about a double shot being at or right under 2oz. But when I look at some recommended brew ratios (e.g. 20g dry coffee for 30g espresso), I get confused. 20g seems high for a double basket, yet 30g is just 1oz. Why is one of the recommended results for a double shot just a single ounce?

**EDIT: Just realized I should have put this in Questions and Answers, but I don't know how to move it...
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 6:10pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Brew Ratios

tglodjo Said:

Most people (and videos online) talk about a double shot being at or right under 2oz. But when I look at some recommended brew ratios (e.g. 20g dry coffee for 30g espresso), I get confused. 20g seems high for a double basket, yet 30g is just 1oz. Why is one of the recommended results for a double shot just a single ounce?

Posted December 18, 2012 link

The old way of talking about espresso brew ratios used mixed units: the dose in grams and the beverage in fluid ounces or milliliters. But trying to calculate a ratio of mass units to volume units is asking for trouble.

In addition, espresso volume is an unreliable measurement, since fresher roasts, Robusta beans, and bottomless portafilters increase the amount of crema and thus change the result.

The newer way of calculating espresso brew ratios divides dose weight by beverage weight, which is a simple and straightforward calculation.

In your example above, 30g of beverage probably has a volume of 1.5 - 2.0 oz. So the two ways of measuring aren't so far off in the end.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 6:16pm

That makes since, but I guess I'm still confused how 30g would have a volume of 1.5-2oz when 30g of water/espresso is just 1oz. I'm also curious if members here weigh each pull or if they go by volume. When I use a double spout PF, I go by volume because I can pull in two measured shot glasses, but I can't do that with a bottomless PF (with which I use a scale).

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 6:20pm

The problem is that once you move out of Italy where espresso was established as a drink (and possibly one or two other European countries where the Italian standard is more or less adhered to) then "espresso" changes to whatever seems best to the person making it.  Possibly it's a mis-use of the term, but that's the real world.

There is no standard outside of Italy, so use "whatever ratios taste right to you seems to be the norm".  Particularly in N.America the "3rd wave" cafes use a much higher ratio of coffee:water.  

You may or may not like the result, but it certainly does make life difficult for those folk who order an "espresso" in some parts and get something not quite what they expected.
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:55am

tglodjo Said:

I have a question about brew ratios. Most people (and videos online) talk about a double shot being at or right under 2oz. But when I look at some recommended brew ratios (e.g. 20g dry coffee for 30g espresso), I get confused. 20g seems high for a double basket, yet 30g is just 1oz. Why is one of the recommended results for a double shot just a single ounce?

**EDIT: Just realized I should have put this in Questions and Answers, but I don't know how to move it...

Essentially, I believe that the ratio makes no sense.  The weight of coffee grounds has its reason from the size of filter bawl, while the cup  volume depends on the tastes you choose, or according to some tradition.  They are absolutely independent.
My own opinion, only.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:25am

tglodjo Said:

I have a question about brew ratios. Most people (and videos online) talk about a double shot being at or right under 2oz. But when I look at some recommended brew ratios (e.g. 20g dry coffee for 30g espresso), I get confused. 20g seems high for a double basket, yet 30g is just 1oz. Why is one of the recommended results for a double shot just a single ounce?.

I think you need to be very careful of being formulaic here. The making of coffee has some simple "rules", or shall we call them guidelines. There is a quote: "Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools?"

Standards should *not* be followed blindly. You should aim for continual improvement. They will get you started, they will begin the route to an acceptable end result.  Take the 20g rule.....once it used to be 14 or 15g for a double. Really though it depends on the double basket and the distance between the top of the puck and the shower screen when tamped. 20g may well be far too much for some baskets. There does seem to be a modern trend for well up-dosing a double basket. The reason for this is that it's far more forgiving and gives a better shot ("visually"). The unfortunate consequence of this is that a great tendency for the shot to be "under-extracted". This under extraction will adversely affect the flavour profile of the shot e.g. a predominance of sours. In addition some coffees respond differently during the extraction process, so the volume of liquid extracted is only a guide, some might want a lot less.

I actually don't really like the double basket much (personal view). I believe that the sheer depth of coffee in the basket leads to a less desirable taste profile (for me), mainly due to the extraction dynamics. I think that the right type of single basket when used properly gives a better shot. I like the larger single baskets, that can hold 9g -10g of coffee quite easily...
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 2:04pm

4.25/1 (14g/60g) ratio IMO is typical for a double shot.  It all depends on your taste for espresso/coffee.  This ratio is for a regular 58mm basket.  

I go by 3/1 single basket (10g coffee to 30ml water brewed)
           4/1 or 4.25/1 exact for a double (14g coffee to 60ml water brewed)
           3/1 triple basket (20g coffee to 60ml water brewed)

Drip I go for 16/1 ratio

Not hard to remember once you have made them a few times.  the rest is all fine tuning to your preferred taste.
These are the basic numbers I have seen around.  Great places to start.

As stated above due to diffrent coffee, bean, roast types as well as profiles of roasts change the taste of the cup so there is no solid coffee ratio for all.  There are expensive meters out there and charts that give you an idea of taste your looking for.  Above is what I go by.  The best answer I can give.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278137922287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+