Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
What do you think about this set-up?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > What do you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
asou

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 3:42pm
Subject: What do you think about this set-up?

Okay, I love coffee, and instead of going to a local cafe all the time, I want to get my own machine. I'm a full time student and budget's kind of limited, probably $1,000 is the most I'd go for everything.(including accessories)

Right now I'm either getting a Gaggia Classic(replacing stock wand with a Silvia v1 wand) or a Le'Lit PL041, they're both not aesthetically pleasing as a Silvia(out of my price range), in my opinion. But hey, it's the espresso that matters, right? The grinder would be a Baratza Preciso. The Vario is also out of my range as well.

What do you think of this? I plan to have this for a long time, I'm sure I won't get "upgrade-itis" mainly because I'll have no money left to upgrade! Until around 10 years from now until I can really get a nice semi-automatic and grinder combo. You think these machines will last until then? Do you have any other machines to suggest? Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 4:01pm
Subject: Re: What do you think about this set-up?

Looks like a great set up to me  :)

The Preciso refurb from Baratza.com for $239 and about $12 shipping (Vario refurb for $360 IIRC) often available on Thursdays, and the Classic for about $375 -$400, and some left over.  You will need a tamper, and the wand as mentioned, and then you will hear a variety of "needed" accessories.  Depends on what you have on hand in your kitchen.

This Polder instant thermometer has a variety of uses and can help with temperature if removed from the steel tube, $10.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16921963

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
asou

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 4:35pm

Thanks! I forgot to ask, would you rather go for the Gaggia or the Le'Lit?

I didn't know it was only available on Thursdays, I checked today and I just thought they didn't have anymore refurbs, thanks! Can you explain what IIRC means? I knew I needed a tamper! Haha. Thanks for the thermometer suggestion!
Dules

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 4:42pm

If you have 1000 to spend, look at the CC1, SCG has open box special at 600 and with a refurb preciso would run about 850. It was going to be my choice if I did not go with a HX machine. The PID is stock, and is a nice look machine. If I did not go with the HX it would have been my choice.
D4F

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 4:47pm

Gaggia, but I am biased as noted as that is what I did.  Gaggia is well proven over many years.  It can be modded well, a little reading for when you can't sleep.  The thread below is long, but shows PID addition, and manual manipulation of temperature without a PID.  The Polder use is explained.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

IIRC, If I recall correctly!

New refurb offerings come out on Thursdays and are posted and remain until gone.  Occasionally there are none, like today.

D4F also at
asou

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 6:02pm

Dules Said:

If you have 1000 to spend, look at the CC1, SCG has open box special at 600 and with a refurb preciso would run about 850. It was going to be my choice if I did not go with a HX machine. The PID is stock, and is a nice look machine. If I did not go with the HX it would have been my choice.

Posted February 10, 2013 link

I don't have a $1,000 to spend, it's the most I will spend. I'm trying to keep it as low as I can, but I don't think that's going to happen! I completely forgot about the CC1, I actually might consider that combination now, thanks!

D4F Said:

Gaggia, but I am biased as noted as that is what I did.  Gaggia is well proven over many years.  It can be modded well, a little reading for when you can't sleep.  The thread below is long, but shows PID addition, and manual manipulation of temperature without a PID.  The Polder use is explained.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

IIRC, If I recall correctly!

New refurb offerings come out on Thursdays and are posted and remain until gone.  Occasionally there are none, like today.

Posted February 10, 2013 link

I'll get to reading! I'll keep my eye out for refurbs then, thanks for that bit of information. I actually might go with the CC1 now, since I won't have to do any mods. A little easier for me. It already has the conventional steam arm and a stock PID at a fairly good price, and the open box deal is even better! Take care, I'll let all you guys know what I did once I'm able to get everything.
D4F

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 8:49pm

Or get the Vario and the Gaggia.  The steam wand is about $25 and 10-15 minutes.

D4F also at
Dules

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 9:23pm

As I just made my purchase I can say I originally started looking and wanted to do the keep it under 1000. After countless hours of research and consideration I decided to go with something I knew I would be happy with for years, and would work best for me. In my case that was  refurbished HX machine at 1000 and a grinder (Blew my ideal  budget by a lot). However, I know I will be happy once it shows up (Wednesday). I also know that I will not feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. SO for me it made sense to spend a little more money up front for something that I will hopefully use for many years to come. Best of luck in your searches!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:10am

I would look at refurb CC1 and refurb Vario...or even at used Oscar or HX and refurb Vario.  Those combos will potentially keep you under pbudget.  Of course, if you're not a fan of used or refurbished gear, then you'll have to get a Gaggia and a Preciso...as that'll probably be the best deal in your price range.   RE: Baratza refurbs.  It's not that they are only available on Thursdays...but that they update the refurb stock list on Thursdays. In case you haven't noticed, they offer a one year warranty on refurbs.  They do not take pre-orders on refurbs, it's first come first served, so Thursday after website update is definitely your best shot at a Vario.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:34am

There are a lot of similar threads on beginning set ups.  In the end, you decide.  Search Gaggia Classic and CC1 for recent threads on CG.  

One other thing to consider about the Classic is simplicity,repairability, and availabilty of parts.  With good luck, none of the machines considered will need repair, but Gaggia is probably the easiest.  Used, for a student without a shop, is the most risky in any of the machines.

D4F also at
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > What do you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289407014847)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+