Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Brand new to fancy coffee/espresso making
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Brand new to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
StephPS8

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 3:44pm
Subject: Brand new to fancy coffee/espresso making

My husband and I recently purchased a deli in which there is a nice coffee/espresso machine.  I am unsure the type as I am not there right now, it is a bit older, but appears to be a nice machine.  The previous owners did little with the machine and while they showed us how to operate it, we really have no knowledge how to make a great product that would make people want to buy it from us.   From my experience, what we have tastes weak, so I am sure we are not doing preparing it correctly.  Can anyone direct me to a good starting point to begin learning?
Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 3:54pm
Subject: Re: Brand new to fancy coffee/espresso making

Welcome to CG.  You can start your education at this reference.

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToEspresso.html

The site is a great reference, not just that thread.  Though it for "home" it will give you a basis for specific questions.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 8:21pm

Why don't you hire a barista...if not to work in your deli, to train you?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
StephPS8

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 8:57am

Thank you so much for the link.  I will definitely take the time to read and look around that site.
StephPS8

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 8:59am

emradguy--While I would love to be able to do something like that, we live in a tiny little town.  There is no one in this town that even offers a nicer coffee much less have that sort of knowledge.  We have talked about traveling up to Nashville (the closest BIG town) and see if we could find someone that would teach us there.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:38am

one of the board moderators lives near Nashville in Brentwood.  There's a great coffee house in Nashville called Barista Parlour.  Maybe you could get some help or even a recommendation for someone from one of them?  Another option would be to enroll in a class somewhere you may have to drive to or fly to.  Counter Culture in Raleigh-Durham comes to mind, or there are classes offered at KlatchRoasting in California, and there are other places to find classes too.  Might be worth the investment to help you get further up the learning curve faster, since you have a business to promote.

Well...anyhow, I'm just trying to offer suggestions.  I wish you guys well.  I certainly second the recommendation of that link provided.  It's a great tool for helping improve technique.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
StephPS8

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:14am

Emradguy:  thanks so much for the names and information.  I will make a visit to the Barista Parlour very soon.  I never even thought there may be places that offered classes on this type of thing, I will also look into that option.  I very  much appreciate your suggestions.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 7:16pm

Welcome to the board.

There is a whole lot that you need to learn.you can do it but it will take time and a whole lot of work.

It is almost like you posted a message saying that your business came with an aircraft and you want to fly passengers for hire.

We are here to answer any question you ask, but as said, a week long class is what you need. Hands on instruction with someone helping each step of the way.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
StephPS8

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 6:44am

callbacksmith:  Love your analogy!  LOL  That is sort of how it feels.  We bought the deli, it came with this coffee machine, and we want to make use of it.  Our main business is sandwiches/wraps, but there is no one in our town that makes a nicer coffee, so if we can come up to speed with our knowledge, I think we could develop a good business.  Thanks for the welcome.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 7:55am

LOL!
It really is not as bad as learning to fly!
There is a lot to understand and quality coffee is like fine dining, both take a while to master. In it's simplest form, you are pushing water through ground coffee. Assuming for the moment that the machine is adjusted properly, you need a scale that reads in 0.1 g Grind enough coffee to equal from 14 to 18g (what you use is not as important as staying with the SAME weight of coffee, I use 18g but that is what I like) put the ground coffee into the basket that is in the porta filter (the handle that locks into the machine) use a tamper to compress the coffee to about 30 pounds of pressure, again exact number is not important but being consistent is. Depending on your machine, you might need to "flush" water from the group, if you push the brew button with nothing on the group, and the water flashes to steam, you have a HX type of machine and you need to bleed the over temp water from the system, only let enough water flow to get a smooth stream of water. If you have a double boiler machine, your water temp will be close to correct just sitting there.

Lock the PF into the machine and start the brewing. If all is well, you will get 2 fluid oz of coffee in about 25 to 30 seconds. If it is faster than that, grind finer, if the time is longer grind more coarse.

Use fresh coffee, less than two weeks FROM THE DAY IT WAS ROASTED, if there is not date on the bag then the coffee is stale before you got it, go and buy fresh coffee from a quality roaster.

That is it in a nut shell, there is a WHOLE lot more to learn but this will get you started down the road anyway

Good luck!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Brand new to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257081985474)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+