Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Getting started with coffee
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Getting started...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 11:07am
Subject: Re: Getting started with coffee

Well one of the beauties of modern technology is being online and the ability to order goods from all over. I once ordered 5 lbs from Costa Rica and it never came.
I emailed and called the U.S. importer only to get the run around. I eventually kept digging and got the email adress of the people
responsible in Costa Rica. It seems they had a family fight and my beans were sitting at the airport. I threatened to report them to the
coffee agency in Costa Rica that is involved in consumer affairs. Yeah they have one and I would have too. I finally got my order. You wont have that problem but
I only mentioned that to illustrate Ive ordered some pretty interesting things from all over and so can you.

BWR Said:

Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions. I had never really considered pour over or siphon brewing and will definitely look into those methods a bit more.

I'm really keen to try get a bit more experience with the different varietals and fortunately I do have access to some roasters who offer a variety of beans and some offer cupping classes or other courses, so hopefully I'll get round to one of these in the next few weeks. Along with making a grinder decision of course.

Thanks again for all the advice
Bruce

Posted January 7, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: rancilio rocky
Drip: na
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 3:39am
Subject: Re: Getting started with coffee

Hello.
Welcome, caring about your coffee and choosing to go on a road to better coffee is probably one of the greatest things one can do in life.
If you are serious then I would suggest, jump in the deep end! Probably the best espresso machine you can buy at the lowest price is the rancillio sylvia and rocky grinder.
I wish I bought these straight up but I did not.

I roast coffee now and I seriously took on coffee 4 years ago. Not long. Do not bother going to cupping expos or cafe travelling. The best thing to do is simply start making it your self. Read up on it, learn what you can but the best thing is trial and error.

That is my advice and I wish I did this sooner

"A good cup of coffee starts with a seedling."
Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Snaggles-Shark-Teeth
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Getting started...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224420785904)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+