Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
A shot with my Duetto and new Vario
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > A shot with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jjsaustin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 9:14am
Subject: A shot with my Duetto and new Vario

I recently purchased a Duetto from CG member and picked up a new Vario.

I am new to all of this, but very happy with the results so far. Below is a simple video made using my phone. The lighting was a bit harsh due to the flash on the phone and washed out the striping in the pull, so I took apic of the result from the top (see below). I probably could have stopped the shot a second or two sooner, but the result tasted great. I'm learning a lot from the forum and the previous owner.

This is with Counter Culture Toscana beans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNChDxMO9Hs

I have a scale on order so I can start to measure my dose. I see on this particular shot there was some dancing at the beginning (which I assume is not good?). Any comments on adjusting the grind / tamp / etc.?

jjsaustin: My Shot Top.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:30am
Subject: Re: A shot with my Duetto and new Vario

I am interested to see what the brain trust thinks but on the wholes it looks pretty darn decent for new to you setup. I would not be worried about the dancing at first but it does seem like rather a lot of pre-infusion followed by the first drops hitting the shot glass pretty quickly once the pump comes on. I would get the scale and make only very small changes perhaps grinding a little finer that would require less pre-infusion but yoield about the same draw time.

All comments based strictly on your taste. If you like it leave it alone

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
jjsaustin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:37am

jwoodyu Said:

I am interested to see what the brain trust thinks but on the wholes it looks pretty darn decent for new to you setup. I would not be worried about the dancing at first but it does seem like rather a lot of pre-infusion followed by the first drops hitting the shot glass pretty quickly once the pump comes on. I would get the scale and make only very small changes perhaps grinding a little finer that would require less pre-infusion but yoield about the same draw time.

All comments based strictly on your taste. If you like it leave it alone

Posted December 24, 2012 link

Thanks for your feedback. I should mention that I have the Duetto plumbed and the pre-infusion is about 3 sec long (starting at 2 sec in the clip and then ending at 5 sec when I lift he lever all the way up). How long should the pre-infusion be?

I agree that the first drops hit pretty quick. I'm not sure if I sure go finer grind or a heavier tamp.

Additional feedback welcome.

Thanks again.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:48pm

It is totally to your taste and I don't know that your pre-infusion is to long just guessing that the grind might could stand to be a tiny bit finer given the longer pre-infusion time and how quickly it hits the cup. Could be that a little larger dose would do the same.

In my case I have my grinder dialed for beans when i first take them out of freezer. Generally i freeze small enough patches I have to thaw about every day. That prevents me from having to chase the grinder much if at all. If I drink less for some reason it means may beans may hit the second day and the flow will go up a little. When it does I could bump my grinder but I generally I increase my pre-infusion about a sec. If I still don't like it will go ahead and nudge the grinder. My grinder is a Major so the grind is not that much different than your Vario in the big picture. I have it hooked to a digital dark room timer and when i get a new 5lbs batch I dial that in as well so i know my dose is right at 18 grams.  

I love my Duetto and I liked the Vario I use to have a good deal. I am sure you will like yours as well and it looks like your off to a good start with your new rig.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > A shot with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229197978973)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+