Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Can't make a bad espresso- Loving my new hobby.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Can't make a bad...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 9:46pm
Subject: Can't make a bad espresso- Loving my new hobby.

So I finally received my new Gaggia Classic.

I was a bit scared of crappy espresso. I'd purchased drinks from several local shops and the espresso was always pretty poor. Two cups were exceptionally poor and both were from local shops who roast their own beans and claim to be experts in espresso. One was bad enough that I poured it out after one sip- it was so sour there was no way I could stomach it.

So while I'm waiting the week for my machine to arrive I read all there is to read here and elsewhere. If you read the forums, it makes it sound like decent espresso is nearly impossible to make without years of experience, growing/roasting your own beans, a million dollar machine, and a PhD in bean science.

I was afraid my espresso would truly suck but was prepared to practice to make it great.

My first espresso drink was made with fairly good beans but a horrible blade grinder. The grind was uneven and the espresso was out of the machine in probably 10 seconds. I sipped it preparing to die a horrible death but it turns out it was pretty decent- actually better than anything I had purchased.

I figured maybe it was the beans....so I used some old Peets Espresso Roast beans I'd had for a couple of weeks in order to practice more. Again, still better than any espresso I had purchased, using old cheapish beans and a blade grinder.

I used my home roasted beans which had been roasted a few days earlier...again, a horribly uneven grind, 10 second shot....again, quite good.

I made my wife a mocha (her favorite drink). She's quite the critic when it comes to her drinks....she loved it, downed it, and asked for another.

I made several caps, mochas, and lattes.... all turned out really good- better than what I buy at local shops....

So now I'm just here to thank everyone for sharing their espresso knowledge. I've made some truly great drinks and am extremely happy with my purchase.

My new grinder just showed up today and I finally got it dialed in to my machine... I can't wait to play with it more and add espresso to every morning.

I hope everyone has the coffee gods smile on them, as they've smiled on me. Thanks for all the help folks!
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:32pm
Subject: Re: Can't make a bad espresso- Loving my new hobby.

Congratulations on your new set-up, and I'm glad you enjoy your espresso. After all that's what really counts, that you like the taste in your cup.

However, that espresso must have been horribly underextracted. It makes you wonder about the quality of the drinks you got served at those shops you mentioned. Or maybe you just like your caffè that way better?

By the way, did you use the pressurized portafilter that comes with the Classic as a standard?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:56am

Congratulations! What grinder did you get?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 7:50am

Awesome to hear, your story!  Glad we could help too.  Please stay on board here, keep us posted how your progress, ask questions, and most importantly share your experiences with other newbies.

Looking forward to hearing what grinder you got as well.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 8:40am

Agreed  Emradguy- it was horribly underextracted, and it was still better than what I've bought locally! So I wonder what kind of swill and skill they serve up at the local places. I was surprised what with everything going against it, it was still better than any of the 4 drinks I had purchased at local places.

I didn't use the pressurized basket, I went straight to the standard double basket. I wanted to do it right from the start and not start off with a bad habit.

My new grinder is a Mazzer Mini. I was going to buy a Vario but find the Mazzer for only slightly more money and liked the sturdier construction. The thing is awesome. Easily chokes my Gaggia- I'm still working on dialing it in exactly but I'm really close to 25 seconds now, give or take 5. My problem is I'm running out of beans due to all of the drinks I've been making so I'm rotating between three different kinds of beans which is making readjustments necessary. No big deal, eventually I'll settle on one roast and be all set.

I just pulled a couple of shots for my wife that were perfect. She caught me sipping her espresso while I was frothing her milk. :)

I need to browse bean selections again now that I have my equipment. I'd like to keep roasting my own- they seem to turn out really well and ensure fresh beans when it's time to grind them. I may have to actually break down and buy and actual roaster so I can do more than a couple ounces at a time.

Again, thanks all!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 7:32pm

One thing I always had an issue with, dealing with one of the local coffee shops here...

Heat Exchanging machines are supposed to be flushed before the barista brews coffee in them, especially if they've been sitting for a while. That's so the heat exchanger can be
cooled down and all of the superheated water sitting in the heat exchanger can be flushed out through the group head.

Sometimes the espresso machine would sit there for an hour unused... Then the barista would pull a shot without flushing.... So they were brewing with steam instead of water.

No wonder why the espressos always tasted horrendously bitter... After I learned about that, it surprised me but it made sense why it was happening.

Here's a good video of what a cooling flush looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covSrPrBpdY&feature=related

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 12:00am

dorkroast Said:

... My new grinder is a Mazzer Mini. I was going to buy a Vario but find the Mazzer for only slightly more money and liked the sturdier construction. The thing is awesome. Easily chokes my Gaggia- I'm still working on dialing it in exactly but I'm really close to 25 seconds now, give or take 5. My problem is I'm running out of beans due to all of the drinks I've been making so I'm rotating between three different kinds of beans which is making readjustments necessary. No big deal, eventually I'll settle on one roast and be all set ...

Posted November 1, 2012 link

Excellent grinder! However, it's not umcommon to "waste" a few pinds before everthing runs smoothly. Do you use a digital scale for dosing? It's very important to work very concistently as far as dosing, distributing and tamping is concerned in order to be able to dial in the grinder correctly. Otherwise the right setting will vary from shot to shot.

Besides that, the required grinder setting can change from day to day (sometimes even within one day) depending on factors like humidity, aging von the beans or using the single shot basket instead of the double, for example.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 8:03am

Congratulations on the new setup.  Go forth, and enjoy!  

Where in California do you live?  (It's a big state.)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 7:44am

Congrats and like Jason asked, where in this state that is larger than a lot of countries, are you?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 12:56pm

dorkroast Said:

If you read the forums, it makes it sound like decent espresso is nearly impossible to make without years of experience, growing/roasting your own beans, a million dollar machine, and a PhD in bean science.

Posted October 31, 2012 link

What's decent is also subjective and depends on experience.  If the bar's low it's pretty easy to exceeed.  If the bar's high it's a bit trickier.  As mentioned above, it's how you like what's in the cup that matters.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Can't make a bad...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298920869827)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+