Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Have you spotted a trend toward overly "bright" (acidic) espresso?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Have you spotted...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
torrefaction

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Presso
Grinder: Kyocera
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 11:13am
Subject: Have you spotted a trend toward overly "bright" (acidic) espresso?

A quick question to espresso geeks out there: I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where it's always been relatively easy to find a decent espresso, or even a great one with a bit of effort. A couple of newer cafés in town serve shots so fruity and bright that to me they taste insanely unbalanced. The last drop can be so acidic that it is literally painful to swallow. These places have their roasting philosophies and equipment spec sheets posted on their websites and get pretty good reviews. Is this the new standard? I always like exploring, but I feel like the "new good" is just not for me. I like fruit and brightness, but also sweet, smokey, chocolatey, and full-bodied shots. Just curious to see if anyone else has noticed a trend towards really acidic espressos being served up by trend-setting coffee geek cafes.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 2:03pm
Subject: Re: Have you spotted a trend toward overly "bright" (acidic) espresso?

I have not tasted what you have, but it seems to me that the 3rd wave trend is more bright.  But I am not an expert.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Odin
Odin
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Compak K10 Doserless
Vac Pot: Tokio Siphon
Drip: No!
Roaster: Propane torch and...
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 3:42pm

Basically you have a large number of "roasters" who can't roast. It's the lack of roasting skill to produce a complex, snappy, and sweet espresso that's evident. Sweet fruit or floral notes or bright, sweet, and complex layers of citrus is ok, but lemony or too much acidity is a roasting fault. Light roasted coffee is not the same as a shot of lemon rind and alfalfa in your cup.

The biggest problem with a poorly executed idea is that if it actually became a trend, we'd all be worse off for it.

Learn how to roast, then experiment with various roasting styles.
coffeeshone

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012, 6:20pm

I have and i also noticed this and don't like it. In NYC there are a few places that seem to be creating a buzz who serve espresso that to me is way to acidic and bright. It really is only palatable for me if its with a lot of milk. Otherwise its like sucking on a lemon.
torrefaction

Espresso: Presso
Grinder: Kyocera
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 9:51am

That's the kind of experience I'm talking about. There's a buzz around these places in Montreal, too. It's not like they don't have the equipment, beans and know-how to make a what I consider a well-balanced shot: quite the opposite; these are self-proclaimed uber-passionate espresso alchemists who have been on caffeine-fueled pilgrimages to Italy as well as to coffee-growing countries around the world. They use varying pressure during extraction on machines that cost more than a first home and roast in-house to exacting standards. Oddly enough, though, I was recently tossing back shots in Italy and before that had the chance to taste coffees all through Central and South America, and most of the time my reaction was "yum," not "ouch." I wish I could get on board with people who are so obviously enthusiastic about coffee, but I just don't understand the vision or the final product.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 10:09am

The "old good" becomes boring and you up the bar... soon the end product is unrecognizable and nothing like what it used to be....  This is happening in a lot of things.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 12:40pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

The "old good" becomes boring and you up the bar... soon the end product is unrecognizable and nothing like what it used to be....  This is happening in a lot of things.

Posted September 26, 2012 link

You should see what US craft brewers have to done to good old English IPA... (from my English POV)  ;)
Stuart

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:18am

dyqik Said:

You should see what US craft brewers have to done to good old English IPA... (from my English POV)  ;)

Posted September 26, 2012 link

This is a good example of the "new normal." I've gotten so accustomed to the 80-IBU American IPAs that a "proper" English IPA tastes bland.

I think there are several slippery slopes in espresso. I read in a blog by a prominent West Coast roaster/cafe owner (named Jim) that the standard beverage in his cafes is about 30 mL of liquid pulled from nearly 20g of ground coffee, and I wondered what that tastes like. I'll wager that it's far from what many (most?) people make in their homes.

(I flirt with extreme ristrettos sometimes. But I'm inconsistent enough that the result is as likely to be a salty faceburner as an exotic excursion into the farther reaches of brew ratio.)

I think there's a connection between roasting lighter to emphasize the nature of the bean, updosing for the same reason, and the trend toward bright espresso.
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:44am

+1 to the above. Culture kind of swings, and right now we're on the upswing away from burnt coffees, perhaps beginning to overcorrect... On the other hand, I like the occasional "salty face-burner" or "insanely unbalanced" coffees. They are fun :) I hope balanced doesn't get thrown out the window though, I remember a Handsome I cupped oh, 6 months or so ago that tasted like tea (in a rather unsatisfactory manner) and all the baristas were raving over it... To me it tasted like the first time I tried to roast in a popper and cooled way to early. Espresso isn't wheatgrass.

Just to throw it out there, perhaps coffee, espresso in particular, is a lot more of an experience for people who don't have a home setup and the usual customer wants something crazy? Just a theory...

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:56pm

I have noticed the same.

Is it a coincidence that it happened when starbucks started pushing medium roasted coffee ???
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Have you spotted...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277662992477)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+