Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
The real shelf life of good coffee
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > The real shelf...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeeshone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 5:42am
Subject: The real shelf life of good coffee

Hello folks,

A burgeoning coffee geek over the last 2 years. I went from knowing little to nothing about good coffee to spending day after day dialing in and practicing on my Expobar & Vario setup. After a year, I'm to the point that I rarely am impressed when I get coffee at artisan coffee shops here in NYC. I don't claim expertise, but have certainly come a long, long way.

The thing I'm surprised at is how much confusion/misinformation about the shelf life and proper storage of coffee there is among consumers and retailers. As I write this I'm finishing a batch of Redbird that is 12 days post roast and my wife and I both commented today that it all of a sudden went "flat." This coffee was incredible the first 5 days we had it, but now much of the flavor has faded. The best espresso shots I've gotten have consistently been pulled from beans between 3-8 days post roast. Having said that, I'd never buy a bag of coffee off the shelf that was more than a week post roast.

It seems like 98% of the population doesn't know this though. People seem to think "fresh" coffee is anything delivered withing the last 2 months. Have I joined some sort of snob cult that is out of touch with reality, or are people generally ignorant about this?

Also, bulk bins= ruined. Still coffee is stored and sold in huge bulk barrels all over the city.

Are we an elitist cult, or does the industry have a lot of educating to do?
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 6:56am
Subject: Re: The real shelf life of good coffee

The general coffee-drinking public has been de-educated or deceived into not even knowing what fresh coffee tastes like. Some of the coffee market coffees reportedly put artificial aromas into the plastic kegs or even in the plastic itself to make the coffee smell fresh. And then there is the allegedly misleading of the consumer with products like the Friis Coffee Vault (see my review HERE). Consider that the VAST majority of coffee drinkers get their coffee from the supermarket, and whether it is form vacuum-packed bricks, large red plastic jugs, or dispensing bins, none of it is really fresh. How would they know the difference?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Mandheling

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantaneo
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 8:13am

It has taken me 6 years of enthusiastic coffee drinking to realise that almost all "readily available" coffee is complete rubbish... I used to buy pre-ground from a well known tea and coffee chain, and was completely taken in by claims of freshness etc, despite the fact that it came in a paper bag sealed with tape...

It wasn't until I could afford a grinder that I realised what I'd been buying might as well have been sawdust, but even then it still produced something better than is available in most coffee shops here in the UK!

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been paying more than twice what my speciality roaster charges me for a bag of fantastic quality, fresh beans!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 9:15am

Mandheling Said:

....It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been paying more than twice what my speciality roaster charges me for a bag of fantastic quality, fresh beans!

Posted September 17, 2012 link

Ignorance may be bliss, but it is also expensive.
new alternator for my car = $240. Just got an excellent used one that looked very new for $10 at Pick 'n Pull. Ahh.. saved money for more green coffee!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Mandheling

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantaneo
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 1:48pm

frcn Said:

Ignorance may be bliss, but it is also expensive.

Posted September 17, 2012 link

Couldn't agree more, but I do suspect that ignorance is being exploited in the name of profit...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 6:24am

The flip side is that people have settled for ease of use for so long, they don't know any better. They can't understand why someone would want to roast then grind coffee when you can "get just as good" from a can that has been ground for you, at the factory on commercial equipment, so it hast to be better, right?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 6:37am

Like with many things, you can take different approaches to drinking coffee. One of them is to view coffee as a convenient, readily available beverage with the pleasant side effect of keeping you alert. Another is to view coffee/espresso as a gourmet product, that tastes great when prepared properly from freshly roasted and ground beans. The later is indeed an elite view.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > The real shelf...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249529838562)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+