Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
I have become... a SNOB
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have become......  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Stuart

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 9:58am
Subject: Re: I have become... a SNOB

Zero crema on a good machine could mean stale coffee. Like someone once pointed out, it all starts with the beans. (Could be low-quality coffee, too.)

I have travelled a bit this year, and make a point of trying to find good espresso at my destinations. Suffice it to say that this objective isn't always acheivable, and that some of what I've gotten in the search has been spectacularly, irredeemably, undrinkably bad.

(Betterday Coffee in Santa Fe is pretty OK. Virtually everything else was not.)
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 2:27pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I did it! I became a snob! I did not mean too.

Posted March 1, 2012 link

Snob is really overused to mean someone with pickier tastes.  There's nothing wrong with knowing what you like and what you don't like.

Coffeenoobie Said:

I thought I couldn't tell how bad it was with milk covering it, but I could.

I suspect many would.  "Milk hides all evil" is repeated a lot but in my experience milk may make espresso more palatable but it can't compensate for poor espresso.  A latte made with poor espresso is a poor latte.  If one can't tell between a poor latte and a good latte then that person's taste buds are probably shot.

frcn Said:

You did learn an important lesson, no? The best beans in inept hands can easily make a poor beverage.

^ This.  Miscela is just one of the five beans.  Like a chain, the weakest link takes down the entire chain with it.

Dodge1 Said:

A real espresso snob would know that the chances of getting a drinkable espresso from any retail outlet is close to zip

Posted March 2, 2012 link

If you're just randomly selecting shops, sure.  A little research goes a long way to shifting the odds in one's favor.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 11:33am

I live in the land of coffee stands and coffee shops, so I should be able to find good coffee.  And I am sure now I am a coffee snob.  Is there a 12 step program for me?

I feel sure I am making the best coffee within 25 miles... maybe 30 of my house.  You have to drive a ways to even get people that understand what barista means.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 11:49am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Is there a 12 step program for me? I feel sure I am making the best coffee within 25 miles... maybe 30 of my house.

Posted August 30, 2012 link

Step 1  Find out if there are any other CG's in the 25 - 30 miles.  Sure you are making the best?  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 4:03pm

In the middle of no where so... pretty sure.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
CaffeineFiend
CaffeineFiend

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Redbird Coffee Co.
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 11:29am

Doesn't it suck to be a coffee geek?  Sure we enjoy coffee in a way the laymen will never understand, we brew better coffee than most coffee shops (if not all) in the surrounding area, but at what cost?  What happens when our grinder breaks (just yesterday), and we have to go to the store to buy pre-ground garbage (chock full o nuts... not too bad).  Or we just don't have time for that morning cup and the nearest place is a dunkin donuts to get a cup, or a Quik Check for a cup of pre-made urn coffee (thank god they flavor it to mask the truth).  How about having a nice family dinner at a relatives and putting your lips to a cup of watery stale beverage so hot it singes your tongue just to feign a smile when they ask "How's the coffee?"  As an artist I come across many pretentious jerks but becoming one just makes me realize how frustrating it is to know something so simple that other people are oblivious to.  And when I pay out the ass for a coffee beverage from some hipster coffee shop just to have a sour/bitter espresso blacker than Charlie Murphy served to me?  

I would say ignorance is bliss: but every time I brew a cup of sweet dark nectar I find myself nodding my head with a smile beaming on my face and I say: "F*** yea that's good coffee."

"Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as Death, and as sweet as Love."
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 12:30pm

Nicholas, it should make you happy to know that portions of your last post made it on my facebook quote wall. Right next to Oliver Holmes, Jonathan Swift, some anonymous poet from the 16th century, and Anselm of Canterbury. Congrats and thank you :)

~Nick

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 11:30am

CaffeineFiend Said:

Doesn't it suck to be a coffee geek?  Sure we enjoy coffee in a way the laymen will never understand, we brew better coffee than most coffee shops (if not all) in the surrounding area, but at what cost?  What happens when our grinder breaks (just yesterday), and we have to go to the store to buy pre-ground garbage (chock full o nuts... not too bad).  Or we just don't have time for that morning cup and the nearest place is a dunkin donuts to get a cup, or a Quik Check for a cup of pre-made urn coffee (thank god they flavor it to mask the truth).  How about having a nice family dinner at a relatives and putting your lips to a cup of watery stale beverage so hot it singes your tongue just to feign a smile when they ask "How's the coffee?"  As an artist I come across many pretentious jerks but becoming one just makes me realize how frustrating it is to know something so simple that other people are oblivious to.  And when I pay out the ass for a coffee beverage from some hipster coffee shop just to have a sour/bitter espresso blacker than Charlie Murphy served to me?

Posted September 3, 2012 link

+1000

CaffeineFiend Said:

I would say ignorance is bliss: but every time I brew a cup of sweet dark nectar I find myself nodding my head with a smile beaming on my face and I say: "F*** yea that's good coffee."

Posted September 3, 2012 link

AMEN to that!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 3:02pm

I was afraid to add anything to this thread as it's start date was a bit ago....and then I realized it was quite honestly an epic conversation I could easily understand, feel deeply within my own limited experience, and cheer for all the others who added their special take or something more - adding to my enjoyment.

Having recently discovered I no longer fit the definition of who I though I was as a member of the daily workforce, I've been trying to re-imagine what I'd like to bring to the community around me. THAT brings the many edged sword out regards a love of quality coffees. It is simply so hard to get between the gushing lust and joy of new beans, better roasts, and ever new experiences at the cup; and the common waste land witnessed surrounding me of local geography and accepted: good enough.  

Heh, thank the modern gods that be we lunatics in the desert can commune with one another - around the globe - as if we were sitting to a common table over a nice cuppa-joe.

Allow me to raise my cup to each and every one of you.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 3:14pm

MerleApAmber Said:

I was afraid to add anything to this thread as it's start date was a bit ago....and then I realized it was quite honestly an epic conversation I could easily understand, feel deeply within my own limited experience, and cheer for all the others who added their special take or something more - adding to my enjoyment.

Having recently discovered I no longer fit the definition of who I though I was as a member of the daily workforce, I've been trying to re-imagine what I'd like to bring to the community around me. THAT brings the many edged sword out regards a love of quality coffees. It is simply so hard to get between the gushing lust and joy of new beans, better roasts, and ever new experiences at the cup; and the common waste land witnessed surrounding me of local geography and accepted: good enough.  

Heh, thank the modern gods that be we lunatics in the desert can commune with one another - around the globe - as if we were sitting to a common table over a nice cuppa-joe.

Allow me to raise my cup to each and every one of you.

Posted December 10, 2012 link

Chris..
welcome to CG, and if you've already been, welcome again!
This is a nice thread to revisit.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have become......  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422348022461)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+