Espresso: General Discussion
Off the Shelf Espresso Experimentation
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Off the Shelf...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 5:50pm
Subject: Re: Off the Shelf Espresso Experimentation

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Nothing if . . .
-- you like their beans; and
-- you know the beans are fresh.

Posted August 27, 2012 link

I guess I'm a little spoiled then. There are three roasters which I like and they date their bags. Which leads me to another question...

If I'm decide to freeze beans for later use, should I leave them in the bag with the one-way valve or should I put them into a sealed container?
(Especially if the bag hasn't been opened yet, but I haven't gotten around to using it.)

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

and/or the beans are stored, pre-packaged, in paper bags

I've seen this and didn't think much of it. If the roasting date is fairly current on the paper bag, (ie. Within a week) is it still worth it to buy them?

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

you can't complain about freshness when the beans are delivered to your door 48-72 hours after roasting!

Pardon me for asking, but I thought that beans are supposed to sit for a week before using them so they outgas? At least, that's what one
roaster told me. Is this correct?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 6:04pm

I think after reading one of the FAQ's, I got the answer I was looking for...

qualin Said:

If I'm decide to freeze beans for later use, should I leave them in the bag with the one-way valve or should I put them into a sealed container?
(Especially if the bag hasn't been opened yet, but I haven't gotten around to using it.)

The answer is... The coffee beans must go into a sealed container. Ideally, a vacuum packed container, but an airtight container (ie. One with a rubber seal)
is good enough because the coffee will outgas and stay preserved.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 6:06pm

qualin Said:

I guess I'm a little spoiled then. There are three roasters which I like and they date their bags.

And many do.  It isn't a question of being spoiled, but rather what you have access to, and what you prefer.  And while here in the SF Bay area we have lots of roasters, the majority of whom date their bags, by purchasing beans online, I have access to an entire country full of high quality micro-roasters.

qualin Said:

I get my coffee shipped in those sealed bags with the one-way gas valve.  As I've said, I place my order on Monday, and I usually receive it on Wednesday or Thursday.  Typically on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, I will break the bags down into Mason jars that I then freeze.  The size of the jars is no more than I will use in 2-3 days.  Every time I open a bag, there is a satisfying little pfffffffffffft of gas to assure me the jar was properly sealed and the beans are super-fresh.

qualin Said:

I've seen this and didn't think much of it. If the roasting date is fairly current on the paper bag, (ie. Within a week) is it still worth it to buy them?

My own feeling is that paper (non-airtight, non-sealed) bags make me nervous, but if you are going to use up the coffee within the week (i.e.: so the beans are all gone within 15 days of roasting), it is probably OK . . . .

qualin Said:

Pardon me for asking, but I thought that beans are supposed to sit for a week before using them so they outgas? At least, that's what one
roaster told me. Is this correct?

Depends upon the beans, but -- generally speaking -- a week or so is right.  This isn't science, it's personal palate preference:  I freeze the coffee on the 5th or 6th day, and it works for me.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 8:09pm

I'd just like to respond regarding paper bags versus valved bags. Although true a coffee will stale faster n the paper than the valved bag, simply having paper bags wouldn't deter me from frequenting the roaster. Some of the better roasters I have the joy to patron have paper bags.  Certainly be aware of the date of roast, but paper bag Aline isn't a reason to shop elsewhere.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 9:12pm

Joel, I agree that -- in and of itself -- the use of a paper bag is not a reason to, let's say, "go elsewhere."  I did not mean to imply that this alone is a deciding factor.  That said, when I see paper bags, I can't help but wonder what else is going on that I should take note of . . .

It is just me exercising the proverbial "abundance of caution," but I have -- and no doubt will continue -- to buy beans from roasters who use paper bags.

Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 6:11am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

It is just me exercising the proverbial "abundance of caution,".

Lol, I love it! Spoken like a true coffee geek.  

And your statement is fair to at least look further into what's going on.  At least around these parts people are still using paper bags.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:24am

Small roasters in the Oregon use paper often and I believe they think it is a better environmental choice.  I think they are very good and well respected.  Water Ave, Wandering Goat, Noble coffee to name a few I have bought in the last year in paper.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:45am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Small roasters in the Oregon use paper often and I believe they think it is a better environmental choice.

Posted August 28, 2012 link

That must be why I have noticed so much paper bags from good roasters lol ;-)

Off the top of my head, Ristretto, Stumptown, Coava, Courier I believe all still use paper.  Think Public Domain and Heart use valved bags IIRC.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:49am

yes, I forgot about stumptown and kobos and coava.  I have not tried courier and public domain and heart.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 10:30am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Small roasters in the Oregon use paper often and I believe they think it is a better environmental choice.

Posted August 28, 2012 link

Oh, boy . . . now we can start wasting bandwidth on the ecological uses of paper v. reusable plastic bags with one-way gas valves!

I'm not engaging, other than to repeat that it's something I take note of and -- for me (as I can only speak for myself) -- gives me a reason to look more closely at the operation.  In and of itself, the use of a paper bag does not "automatically disqualify" the roaster in my book, but I'm far more leery of (e.g.) getting my coffee shipped across the country in a paper bag than in a plastic/mylar one.

YMMV.

showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Off the Shelf...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407212018967)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+