Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Any mocha lovers ever do a cost breakdown?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Any mocha lovers...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
acctingguy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 5:28pm
Subject: Any mocha lovers ever do a cost breakdown?

Just curious if anyone here has ever broken down the costs of making your own triple grande mocha at home vs SB

triple grande mocha @ SB is $5

I'm GUESSING....home made?....

milk = .30c
chocolate syrup = .30c
beans = .50c

$1.10 to make your own triple grande mocha?

That seems low
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 5:54pm
Subject: Re: Any mocha lovers ever do a cost breakdown?

can't say I've broken down a mocha cost, but I have compared latte and cappa costs, and in my house (where we make 3 lattes and 2 cappas everyday) the cost of my initial setup (a Silvia plus the stainless 2 drawer base, a Baratza Maestro Plus, milk, beans, sweetener, cleaning supplies and accessories such as frothing pitcher and cups) was covered in less than 6 months.

I use powdered unsweetened cocoa for mochas, rather than chocolate syrup.  I mix it in the cup into a paste with sweetener and a little splash of milk, and then draw my shot into it and then add my frothed milk.  I don't make them often at all, but that's how I've always made them.  There was a nice thread a while back about the many different methods of preparing a mocha, and your costs will certainly vary depending on what you choose for the chocolate component.

The math isn't that hard, once you figure out how many drinks you get from a container of milk, a bag of beans and a container of cocoa powder/syrup you'll be able to get an accurate cost estimate.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 4:58am

We often go through the mental gymnastics to justify our purchases but in the end, it is just because we want the stuff. Depending on how you do the math, from memory and how these things go, the average "break even" seems to be about a year, give or take a little.

The problem is though that once you see how much better you can do it at home, few people are satisfied with staying with the starter, budget equipment they start with and many more $$$ are spent in the quest for perfection (it will never come LOL) thus blowing the calculations out of the water.

That said though, add all your costs, divide by the price you are spending for a store bought drink (don't forget to add the gasoline you spend, millage, insurance, tires, wear and tear on the car that you add by going out of your way to get that drink... hey we want to be accurate don't we?)
this will tell you how many drinks you would have to buy to equal the money spent on your gear, then divide that by how many drinks per day you buy and you will get how many days to reach "break even".

OR, you can just skip all that stuff and buy what you need and enjoy much better coffee than you can get at a chain store.

Your choice! YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 5:29am

calblacksmith Said:

We often go through the mental gymnastics to justify our purchases but in the end, it is just because we want the stuff.

Posted August 9, 2012 link

No way! It's all about the math. Today I will make three double shot espressos and two capps. That's like $10 at a shop! I just paid for my lunch by having my home machine.

Of course, if I didn't have my machine, I would have made one pot of drip coffee and then suffered through the swill at work, maybe stopping by a shop once or twice a week.

But I'm going to say that I saved $10 today!

I think you were right when you said "YMMV".

Kevin

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 7:24am

klund Said:

I think you were right when you said "YMMV".

Kevin

YEP, whatever you need to tell yourself LOL!! ;D ;D ;D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 3:24pm

calblacksmith Said:

We often go through the mental gymnastics to justify our purchases but in the end, it is just because we want the stuff. Depending on how you do the math, from memory and how these things go, the average "break even" seems to be about a year, give or take a little.

...or to quiet the spouse's complaints about the money we're about to spend ;-)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 2:23pm

emradguy Said:

can't say I've broken down a mocha cost, but I have compared latte and cappa costs, and in my house (where we make 3 lattes and 2 cappas everyday) the cost of my initial setup (a Silvia plus the stainless 2 drawer base, a Baratza Maestro Plus, milk, beans, sweetener, cleaning supplies and accessories such as frothing pitcher and cups) was covered in less than 6 months.

Posted August 8, 2012 link

calblacksmith Said:

We often go through the mental gymnastics to justify our purchases but in the end, it is just because we want the stuff.

+1 on both counts.  Even understanding the cost difference I'll still hit my favorite coffee shop fairly frequently for a latte.  Granted, it's a subjective matter but cost isn't everything and sometimes the machine just isn't warmed up if I'm not using it when the timer is set to have it on.  In the end, it's enjoying what's in the cup (however you get it or whatever you enjoy) that matters.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 6:14am

klund Said:

No way! It's all about the math.

Actually, it's all about enjoying coffee, and getting better drinks at home than you can by going out . . .

klund Said:

Today I will make three double shot espressos and two capps. That's like $10 at a shop! I just paid for my lunch by having my home machine.

Uh, no.  Not really, or at least, not unless you've already had your machine, grinder, and other equipment long enough that you've amortized its purchase and are now, finally, "ahead of the game."

klund Said:

Uh, yeah.  Whatever you need to say to yourself, Kevin . . . or to say to your wife.

calblacksmith Said:

Oh, how true . . .

calblacksmith Said:

The problem is though that once you see how much better you can do it at home, few people are satisfied with staying with the starter, budget equipment they start with and many more $$$ are spent in the quest for perfection (it will never come LOL) thus blowing the calculations out of the water.

Oh, how true . . .

calblacksmith Said:

OR, you can just skip all that stuff and buy what you need and enjoy much better coffee than you can get at a chain store.

Oh, so very true . . . .

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

takeshi Said:

+1 on both counts . . . In the end, it's enjoying what's in the cup (however you get it or whatever you enjoy) that matters.

Posted August 17, 2012 link

AMEN!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
KLIX

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 6:02am

I've never done the actual breakdown but it's definitely massively cheaper than buying from Starbucks. But there's definitely something about Starbucks coffee that you just can't seem to replicate! :(
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Any mocha lovers...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41908121109)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+