Espresso: General Discussion
Backflush Schedule for Rocket Cellini Premium Plus
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Backflush...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Samson

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 5:21pm
Subject: Backflush Schedule for Rocket Cellini Premium Plus

Hi guys,

I just bought a Rocket Cellini and I keep reading different opinions about back flushing. The manual says I should back flush everyday. I'm assuming it is without detergent.

So what is a typical back flushing schedule (without detergent, then with detergent) for somebody who pull 3-4 shots a day?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
KKBurke

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 5:44pm
Subject: Re: Backflush Schedule for Rocket Cellini Premium Plus

That's right.  There are quite a few opinions.  Water backflushing on a daily basis for 3-4 shots is fine, but you might prefer every 3-4 days.  As for detergent backflushing (Cafiza for example), there are concerns about the removal of lubricants in the machine caused by overuse of more aggressive cleaners.  Therefore, backflushing with a detergent once every 3-4 weeks on your schedule is probably just fine, particularly if you are backflushing with water every few days, and keeping your screen wiped clean with fresh water dispensed through the grouphead.  But then again, there are other opinions...
SteveJames

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 10:32pm

I also am a newer owner (3/26/12) of an Alex II HX machine and pull an avg of 2x 17g (dry) shots each morning separated by 1-2 hrs depending on what I am doing.  So far, I have only used 2.2# of Black Pearl and 4# Redbird coffees.  I have the machine plumbed-in with the CCS cartridge softener and carbon filter setup.  Here is what I decided to do for basic grouphead and PF maintenance until determining better:

1) 1-2 plain water backflushes (BF) (0-15 sec pump on time) after straight flushing for 2-3 sec twice to remove the visible grounds left on the screen after the shot - my intent is to reduce rate of general buildup of oils/grounds by having them "bake on" as the machine idles waiting for me to pull another shot.  Generally I turn off the machine after the 2nd normal shot, but occasionally I will leave it on for any drop-in's so it could idle at temp for 6-8 hrs.

2)  I have cleaner BF once on 5/8/12 (after 1st 6 weeks operation) with the Full Circle Urnex and am due to clean again this weekend (targeting 4 weeks between cleaner BF.  Before that first clean, I had pulled my 2 shots/day and had another extra 20 shots pulled during 2 parties.  Based on what I saw com out during the cleaner BF as well as what I removed by soaking the PF and basket in the cleaner, I decided that I had waited a bit too long.  So I am basically planning to cleaner BF after approx. 50-60 shots.

3)  I decided on the same schedule for cleaning the Vario grinder.  I realize I may need to adjust depending on the "oils/chemistry" of the next coffee I use (will probably try the Redbird Blue Jag)

Thanks for asking the question KK - you and all others feel free to critique my method since like you, I want the best results possible!

Steve
SteveJames

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 10:33pm

Whoops, meant "thanks for posting the question Samson" - late night memory loss...
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 9:49pm

I have  a VBM Domobar Double. E-61. I do a plain water backflush after every session. I have gone as long as two and three months without chemical backflushing. At that time I pull the shower screen/gasket "assembly" and I have found only a light coating of coffee on teh shower head of the group and in the screen. A wipe with a towel cleans it all off easily.

I have found that backflushing with detergent cleans the lubricant out of the group (whether that be residual silicone or the coffee oils, and that has the potential for causing wear on the cam's shaft seals and the other friction parts in the group.

For more detail on the group, see these two articles on my website:
How-To 18 - Simple Lubrication of the E-61 Group
How-To 19 - Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group

If you do decide that it is time to do a chemical backflush, IMO, it is best to open the group up afterwards and give it a light lube with Dow-111 on all the rubbing points. Pulling the mushroom occasionally will also allow you to appraise the need for descaling.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
howiekaplan

Espresso: ECM Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012, 6:36am

I've had a Cellini for almost 2 years now, and pull similar amounts of shots to you.  I've followed Chris from Chris Coffee advice, and it's served me well.  I backflush every other day, w/o detergent, 5 times @ 5 seconds on, with 10 seconds off.  Then I backflush with caviza detergent once per month, 5 times @ 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off.  

Also, you may want to watch this 5 minute Youtube clip Chris did on proper backflushing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USeQBMjoNfs
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012, 7:11am

Interesting, does this apply to other machines? I've always known/was told to try to clean water backflush daily after use, but def to backflush once a week using Cafiza. Now wonder if I should extend that on the CC1, never though about lubricants etc being affected, course this is a different head setup then the Rocket.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Backflush...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22479891777)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+