Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Wooden Espresso Gear
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wooden Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 11:38am
Subject: Re: Wooden Espresso Gear

believe me, Helen...Dave's stuff is worth the 3 month wait.  When I first contacted him, we had a discussion about what wood I'd like, which pieces, etc.  He quoted me some price estimates as well.  When he got to my order, he sent me an email to confirm that I still wanted everything we talked about, and after I did, he had them all made withing a week or so.  He takes paypal and ships promptly as well.  Everything is well packed to prevent shipping damage.  The pieces are gorgeous when you see them in person, and in my opinion, make your machine that much nicer to look at and use.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 11:42am

I am sure it is, Oscar would look funny with wooden knobs.  Maybe I should get him to make a wooden box to put it in!  I am frustrated with tamping the basket outside of the holder, well really knocking out the grinds is where the problem is. Other than that part I think what I am doing is easy. Hot basket held with the hand doesn't knock out really easy.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 12:07pm

yeah, maybe you're right about that...lol  I forgot you have an Oscar.  You could still enjoy a custom pf handle if you choose the right wood, like...purpleheart maybe?

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 12:13pm

But you have made me think, maybe what I need is a small silicone hot pad that I could just grip the basket with when I do the knocking part.  That is the real issue with how I am doing it now. And that is really only an issue when I do them back to back. If I can let it cool it is not so bad.  

As for the handle I would want black and black wood would not look that much different from black plastic so I think I will pass till I have a machine worth doing that with.

Coffeenoobie

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 12:27pm

so...how come you can't knock out the puck with the basket still in the pf handle?  

don't you preheat the pf handle and basket together as the machine warms up?  

and...

have you considered getting another basket, so that you can knock out the puck(s) later?

(oh...right...you're looking for VST baskets...I remember you WTB ad now - sorry, I don't have extras well not enough extras to sell any that is)

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 12:34pm

The issue is because I can't hold the portafilter level so I am taking the basket out to load and tamp and putting it back for the pull so the spring is not holding it in place.  As a result, when you turn a portafilter upside down without a spring the basket falls out...... (I know you did not know that...) :P

Coffeenoobie

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 12:46pm

got it...you took the spring out so you can tamp level (and maybe to weigh your doses as well, huh?)  

I'm currently using a spring, but I've been there.  When I wasn't using one, I got pretty good at smacking the middle of the pf basket on the knockbox bar, and was somehow usually able to maneuver the handle to reinsert the basket before it fell all the way out...it took a bit of learning, but at least I didn't burn my fingers.  

I suppose the tamping stand will solve all your problems (guessing you plan to put the spring back in once you get one). Well, if Dave can't make you one, you can buy one from CCS.  The Cafelat one they sell is pretty good.  I think it's about $35.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 1:13pm

The problem with that one is that it is not made for the naked. It has a tiny hole for the spouts.  I guess I will have to get the kids at high school wood working class to make me one.  I just need it to work like this one, it doesn't have to be rounded, I don't really much care what it looks like.  My husband works at a high school so maybe they can help me out.  I was thinking I could find a small scrap of butcher block wood.

Coffeenoobie: woodenstand.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Coffeenoobie

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 1:20pm

hmm.  I use my naked in my cafelat stand all the time, and it levels it perfectly.  Must have something to do with handle brand and design.

yeah, that one looks cool.  If there's a Rockler or Woodcraft store, you can go in and browse and find a small block you like.  They'll have several hardwoods to choose from in the size you need.  If there's no Rockler or Woodcraft near you, look for a store specializing in woodworking supplies.  Alternatively, you may have a "hardwood" lumber yard in your area you can check as well. You probably won't find any stock at places like Home Depot or Lowe's. There are also online exotic hardwood stores that sell small blocks, but then you don't get to see the pieces live to inspect for knots, cracks and insect tunnels, so I wouldn't recommend them, unless you have no other choice, and then I'd talk to someone on the phone to tell them exactly what you want.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 1:22pm

Mine was homemade so I am not sure the bottom is flat. Which might be why I can't tamp flat in the filter. That is the reason I want to use the ears for level rather than the bottom. (see photo I added above.)  If I could find one made to hold the filter like that one does that is premade that is fine for me.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wooden Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291140794754)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+