Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Wooden Espresso Gear
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wooden Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
CaffeineFiend
CaffeineFiend
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Redbird Coffee Co.
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 2:27pm
Subject: Wooden Espresso Gear

I enjoy a scoop or two of sugar in my espresso to cut the bite a bit.  I have become a stickler for the perfect cup--and if it ever pulls sour I dump it and start over, (I didn't spend over a thousand dollars for crap coffee).  I feel as though the cup warmer above my Silvano doesn't make the cups hot enough--so as I grind my coffee I pull a blank shot of hot water into my cup.  Before pulling the shot I dump the water and add my sugar--allowing a few seconds for the hot cup to warm the sugar.  Then I pull the shot.  Finally when I have removed the portafilter and turn the machine on to clean the grinds off the group I put my spoon under the hot water to warm it--then stir the sugar and coffee together.  This has become to much of a hassle--so recently I hand carved a small spoon just for stirring my espresso--I suppose i'm really becoming a coffee geek.  I put no finish on the spoon which I carved from a beautiful piece of walnut.  Every time I stir coffee I use a paper towel to rub the coffee oils into the wood to cure it.  I hope over time the oils from the coffee will seal the wood.  The spoon works great--because wood is insulated it doesn't every get cold and doesn't need to be heated.  This makes me think--maybe I can carve espresso and even cappuccino cups out of wood as well.  I was wondering if there were any thoughts on this--or perhaps there is a wood worker who does this?  Aside from keeping the coffee from going sour I feel as though they would be way more aesthetically pleasing than my boring white cups: and the "designer" cups out there are just too tacky.  Hoping to get some feedback on this: good idea?  bad idea?  been done?

CaffeineFiend: Image 1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as Death, and as sweet as Love."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 2:58pm
Subject: Re: Wooden Espresso Gear

This thread will keep you busy:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Sweed

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 3:39pm

I, too, use the Silvano and was not satisfied with the temp of my double espressos.  Problem now solved.  I pull a blank shot of 4-5 oz into a heavy Italian 6oz cappuccino cup.  Then grind, tamp, and insert.  But before adding sugar which is in a metal container on top of the Silvano keeping the sugar warm, I steam the water in the cup for 6-10 seconds making the water extra hot.  Dump the water, wipe cup dry, and pull shot into a very, very hot cup with warmed sugar.  Stir with plastic spoon.  Voila!  A pretty hot double shot.

Ed
 View Profile Link to this post
CaffeineFiend
CaffeineFiend

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 3:48pm

Ed,

Even with the sugar warmed you don't feel like pouring sugar in after the shot is pulled kills off most of the crema?  Even stirring settles it quite a bit.  I enjoy a good coffee mustache after my beverage.

frank828

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:04pm

conversely, my cheap saeco espresso machine leaves me a shot that i would wish was a bit cooler(my tongue is finally healing).  i may need to start using cooler shot glasses.
CaffeineFiend
CaffeineFiend

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:19pm

you definitely don't wanna do that--cold glasses will put the espresso into "shock" and cause it to sour.  I find its best to let it cool down on its own: although at 197 degrees my coffee is usually not scalding hot.  What temp does your saeco actually output?

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 6:57pm

Couldn't you just keep your metal spoons in a cup on top of the machine so they would be warm?  I would think the wooden spoon is pretty but I would think the coffee oils would go off over time......  Maybe a horn spoon like they use for caviar.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
frank828

Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 11:22am

CaffeineFiend Said:

you definitely don't wanna do that--cold glasses will put the espresso into "shock" and cause it to sour.  I find its best to let it cool down on its own: although at 197 degrees my coffee is usually not scalding hot.  What temp does your saeco actually output?

Posted May 18, 2012 link

i dont know what temperature it exactly outputs at.  i'm temp surfing at the moment and will start my brew a few seconds after my heater turns off.  the routine is usually to flush the head until the heat element kicks on then shut off the water and wait until the element turns off before i start my extraction.  The saeco has a 95C(203F) thermostat so i'd guess when the element shuts off, i'm at 203F.  A few seconds later i should be at around 200F.   This is all just my hypothesis, though, since i dont have a temp probe inside the group.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 8:05am

frcn Said:

This thread will keep you busy:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted May 18, 2012 link

I don't think Dave makes espresso spoons, but I bet if a lot of people asked for them he would consider it.  His work is beautiful.  The set you see in my profile pic is from him, and I received it less than a month ago.  I couldn't wait to install it all, so I had the pf locked into the group and the group lever knob on within about 5 minutes of opening the box, and I had the steam and water knobs installed the next day.

I have a set of stainless espresso spoons that I use for food sampling while I cook.  I like Helen's idea of putting them up on the cup warmer.  However, I have a large collection of wooden "espresso spoons" hand-imported from Venezuela by my in-laws.  I've got short ones that go nicely in cappuccino and latte cups, to really long ones that are nice in to-go cups. I also have a several really small ones that are perfect for demitasse cups. They're great...and I would recommend using wooden spoons, as suggested by the OP.  The oils are not a problem at all, in fact, "food oils" are used through the wood working industry to keep woods looking and performing great (of course, most of those come from nuts, not coffee).  But yeah, the coffee oils may even help keep the spoons in shape.  However, I do find I have to occasionally rub them down a minute or so with fine finishing sand paper or a heavy duty scotch pad to smooth out the surface.  If I get a chance within the next couple of days, I'll post a pic including one of each size.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 10:12am

I would love to see a photo of your spoons Emradguy.  Put a coin or a ruler in the shot so we can tell the size.  And the wood handle guy just told me has a 3 month back log.  I want a tamp stand for my naked portafilter. I can't seem to hold it level so I want a block with a hole in it so the ears hold it level for me to tamp.

I had no idea wooden coffee spoons were a thing, so if OP turns out spoons he might have a good market.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wooden Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299118041992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+