Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Whole house water filter question
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Whole house...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
PressedForTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 12:45pm
Subject: Whole house water filter question

We are thinking of installing a whole house water filter, primarily to remove chlorine.  House has 2.5 baths, so I think a flow rate of 8-10 gpm is the minimum requirement. There seem to be a few ways to go about this.

The system that seems most appropriate are the carbon-based systems I've seen online costing anywhere from $800-$2000. These have high flow rates and claimed life cycles of 5-10 years.  In the long run these seem to be a better value. Does anyone experience with these? (PurHome, Lifesource, etc?)  This sounds like the way to go, but I can't find any reviews or real life experience with them.  Any real-world feedback on whole house systems that you could offer would be wonderful!

Other options that I don't think work as well, but am happy to reconsider if appropriate are:
1) Reverse Osmosis-- This is overkill given what we are trying to achieve.
2) Simple canister filters-- I stopped by the local plumbing supply store to see what options they have. My impression is that the canister filters they offered were inexpensive, but replacement media was $85 a pop and had to be replaced 3-4 times per year. Cheap to start out, but then it starts to get expensive over time. I could probably do better online, but even at 1/2 the cost it would still add up to exceed the cost of one of the larger systems.
3) We could do a point-of-use filter, but that would require three point-of-use filters to accomplish the same thing. I don't think there's efficiency to be found there. If the whole house costs about the same, you might as well enjoy the benefit in every water outlet in the house.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

'         ,-""-.
      _r-----i
      \        |-.
       |       | |
       |       | |
       |       |'
      (=====)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:17am
Subject: Re: Whole house water filter question

Hi and welcome.
What are you REALLY trying to gain? Soft water for your showers? Mainly filtered water for cooking? Coffee only use?

You do not need to filter all the water in your home for coffee and for coffee, you do NOT want RO water, it is TOO pure and has a flat taste not to mention that in most coffee equipment that is self filling, the RO water will cause errors in the autofill systems.

I filter water for cooking, ice, refer water and coffee. A under counter sediment filter, carbon filter and salt based water softener is all I need for great cooking/coffee water. The replacement carts are less than $20 and for my use, last about a year (yes I know you are supposed to change them every 6 months but so what? SUE ME!)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 8:24am

Removing chlorine from all your water for domestic use might cause a hygenic problem, because it'll facilitate bacterial growth inside your pipes. After all there's a reason why it's there in the first place. It's seems better to me to remove chlorine from the water you need for cooking or brewing coffee, for example, prior to use.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
TamiP
TamiP

Espresso: Reneka Viva1
Grinder: Fiorenzato T80 and Macap M6
Drip: Bunn NHBB Velocity Brew
Roaster: Whirley Pop/BBQ Drum
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 12:39pm

I disagree Nobby. I think everyone is so overly paranoid about germs that we don't get the ones we need. People with wells don't have any chlorine and yet we live and are healthy I might add.

We also lived abroad and bought our meat in the open air market for years and the kids survived and flourished. We have yet to get food poisoning even after eating the left overs we left (GASP) on the stove overnight.

Secondly, my hair and skin do much better when washed without chlorine to dry them out.

IMHP the world is a healthier place when we all get our pound of dirt.

PS....I think the chlorine is there to kill the germs from the recycled sewage.

Tami
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 2:45pm

I have been living on property where I pump my own water for the last 23 years. No additives in my food (no preservatives, no artificial colors, no artificial flavorings), no corn syrup, no artificial sweeteners.  The only thing that we eat that had parents are eggs. We also eat lots of soy products. I should have been dead long ago (an opinion shared by more than just my inlaws) .   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 10:52pm

TamiP Said:

... People with wells don't have any chlorine and yet we live and are healthy I might add ...

... IMHP the world is a healthier place when we all get our pound of dirt.

PS....I think the chlorine is there to kill the germs from the recycled sewage.

Posted May 15, 2012 link

frcn Said:

I have been living on property where I pump my own water for the last 23 years ... I should have been dead long ago (an opinion shared by more than just my inlaws) .   ;-)

Posted May 15, 2012 link

People with their own well know exactly where the water they use is coming from. And they are at a higher risk of contamination. It's different with the water provided by waterworks. It might be well water or surface water, depending on where you live. Especially surface water can be polluted by sewage. Like I said chlorine is there for a reason.

Apart from that I agree that a living environment can be too clean, too hygenic, so that it promotes allergies, for example. A little dirt won't do much harm. But bacteria like legionella that live in hot water pipes can.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
TamiP
TamiP

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 4:59am

I think we digress and I am so sorry Charlie, I will say I don't have experience with the whole house filter but we do have filtration. We have a whole house sediment filter and water softener. The softener is to protect our plumbing fixtures more than anything.

Under the kitchen sink we have an RO unit. I use this for drinking only and on the espresso machine we have a separate 3 stage filter only, no RO. While I think the coffee made from RO tastes fine, there are more people that don't care for it. My taste buds just can't detect the difference.

I buy my filters on eBay and can share the sellers name if you wish. I spend probably $60 a year on filters and I don't have a problem with that. I'm sure it would be much more if you are doing the whole house.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tami
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 7:19am

I have RO ... I don't like using RO for espresso.  As was already stated the taste is flat.  However, even though my tap water is soft enough (my city has fairly soft water) the chlorine taste/smell is very obvious and offensive to me so I don't like using tap water either.  Some people recommend half tap half RO but I can still smell the chlorine.

I've worried about the acid level of RO water and what it may be doing to the insides of my boiler.  Using test strips I can clearly see that the RO water is too acidic.

I've had some luck putting a pinch of sea salt and/or baking soda in the RO water - but I don't think this is ideal.  It does get the PH right and it does improve on the taste of espresso - but I think I can do better.

I'm thinking my next step will be to try leaving all the filters in place on my RO setup except for the RO filter itself - that way I'd be going through all the series of regular filters and carbon filters but not the RO membrane itself.  I think that will get all the Chlorine smell/taste out of the water and any particulates - but should leave some minerals.
TamiP
TamiP

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 8:55am

My espresso machine isn't on RO Andy, just a 3 phase filter. The RO is under the kitchen sink and the espresso machine is across the room with it's own water supply.

Tami
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 9:06am

I have nice good tasting well water.  I don't filter it for Oscar.  It is pretty soft and I will be watching the machine for build up.   In 8 years of living here I have never had scale build up on the shower heads and other water fixtures. If Oscar looks like he gets more build up than a once a year descale can handle I will consider putting in a filter for him.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Whole house...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29683804512)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+