Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Kaffa Cafe, still going in their way to promote the great espresso drinks
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Kaffa Cafe,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 3:18am
Subject: Kaffa Cafe, still going in their way to promote the great espresso drinks

After many years, we had the problems of talking about espresso and its tastes.  It's mostly for the difficulties of talking about coffee and their tastes through internet in terms of words.
       Only very limited people came to us, taste our coffee and talk about coffee.

Recently, I had an idea of traveling around the whole China and talking about coffee face to face with the local coffee people and the owners of cafes.  I suppose that it may help to solve those difficulties.
       Last month, I went to Shanghai for an exhibition, and meanwhile, I visited two cafes around Shanghai area.  I talked about coffee with them, and exchanged ideas about espresso extraction.  Finally, I helped them to improved their espresso extraction to a much better level.
       Both from the theory and the tastes of the extracted espresso, they all agreed that our coffee theory and espresso extraction technique works well and the results are perfectly improved as I described, as well as they can taste.
       My last trip was really successful.
       And now I am planning for my next trip to the west of China, from Sichuan to Guizhou, and also Yunnan.  It will be the next half of this May.
       It is similar to your JAMs, right?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 9:45am
Subject: Re: Kaffa Cafe, still going in their way to promote the great espresso drinks

Yes Peter, much like our Jams.

I'm glad to hear about your travels.  I think you will learn that talking to many people and cafes is a great way to share and expand on coffee knowledge.

I look forward to hearing about future trips and how well they go.

Best of luck!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: Here is my report about my first trip to Shanghai and around

On the request of a cafe in Hangzhou, I went to the cafe before going to the Expo in Shanghai last month. Together with the manager of that cafe and the owner of another small and individual cafe, we made several shots of espresso and tasted them together, I discribed their tastes and existed problems.About the problems of their tastes, all of them agreed with my description and explanation, as well as the espresso brewing technique. Since they used the beans of Illy, Isuggested them to adjust the pumps' pressure to higher. Since I'm not quite sure whether they are happy or not for me to adjust their machines' pressure, I just told them about my suggestion, but didn't do it. After I left, they told me that they did it.

Since no cafes in Shanghai asked me for help, so I spent all the time in Shanghai in the Expo. Even I went to a cafe in Shanghai for twise of times, and their espresso was terrible, I said nothing about their espresso to them.

But, in the Expo, someone came to me and asked me to their cafe for help. So, I arranged my trip to their city, Wenzhou.
In their cafe, I offered a simple talk about general idea about coffee brewing, and also made several shots of espresso for tadte of us and comparing. Since the tastes of those espresso confirmed my explanation about espresso, and after I advised them to adjust their mschine, they did it emmediately and we made and tasted several shots of espresso again. When they tasted the real great espresso, they all are excited.  Since they tasted the real good espresso, they know it and also learnt to make it.
Our theory and brewing skills may not be understood easily through forums and words, but easily by face to face, especially by tasting the same shots together. They tasted it, learnt to make it, and be able to make it.
It's very successful, finally.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 11:01am
Subject: Re: Kaffa Cafe, still going in their way to promote the great espresso drinks

What a great story.  Good luck with your adventures.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
pstam
pstam

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 11:30am
Subject: Here is my report about my second trip to Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong

After a class of several trainees, I came to my second trip for coffee, in Guang Dong province.

First stop in Guangzhou.
In a cafe, owned and runned by my trainees, I met several coffee people, and gave the same and simple talk about coffee. We also tasted several shots of espresso, compared and tasted them. They clearly understood and trusted my explanation. Unfortunately, we had not different shots to comparison.

Second stop in Shenzhen.
The local partner called more than ten coffee people, and I did the same as for the last trip to Whenzhou and Guangzhou, a simple talk about coffee and made several shots of espresso for comparison. After answering many questions about coffee, many of them understood what I said, but one barista seems not.

Third stop in Hong Kong.
Since this is the first meeting and talking between us, we didn't have better arrangement. We can only visit several cafes in Hong Kong, and talking about the shots that we tasted. They had their understands learnt from SCAA, but they seemed to started to trust my understands, without certificates yet.
My friends there became interested in our theory and brewing skills. It means that we need to organise for another meeting, prepared for a espresso machine and grinders to adjust for different brewing and comparison.
If anyone is interested in it, please contact us, and wecan plan for another metting in Hongkong in a near future. We would like to meet more people there.

This is a jam, like your do.
One can see how much our coffee theory and brewing skills can do.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
pstam
pstam

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 11:31am

Coffeenoobie Said:

What a great story.  Good luck with your adventures.

Posted May 30, 2012 link

Thanks, a lot.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
auxpomme

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 11:28pm

I stumbled into a really nice cafe while in Beijing. I'll have to go through my pictures but from memory I think it was near the Hutong
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 9:39pm

Peter, always good to "hear" from you. It's terrific that your doing what you were meant to do, educate.
I know from your previous posts this means a LOT to you.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
pstam
pstam

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 1:14am

Thanks a lot, it really means a lot for us.
After it is done, I felt that it really works a lot, much more and much more affectively than talking in terms of words alone.

As the time goes, good or not good enough, or even bad, people will know the truth at last.
It is difficult to know by words, but very easy by tasting the cup.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Kaffa Cafe,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268878936768)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+