Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
what is the worst espresso you have had?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > what is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
side

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 8:40am
Subject: what is the worst espresso you have had?

Last weekend i ordered a latte macchiato. I also started looking how he brewed it, first time i really do.
First thing he didn't clean the steam wand so it was full of old milk (you should have done that after you steam) then for the espresso he had a brush to clean the filter but he didn't use it lol so you could se the old beans as he was adding new...
I should have looked before... next time i wont get anything with espresso at that place.
They have great gelato but now i have started thinking about how they make their gelato...

What is your worst experience at an espresso bar
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 9:38am
Subject: Re: what is the worst espresso you have had?

unless he owns the place I would complain to management about the espresso treatment you just described.  That could just be one barista and not the whole place.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
side

Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 3:10pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

unless he owns the place I would complain to management about the espresso treatment you just described.  That could just be one barista and not the whole place.

Posted May 7, 2012 link

True but i think i have seen him there before, and only 2 people are working there, so i guess it's his place
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 8:46pm

In a shop, or at home??  :-0

When I first started out with my first machine, my first grinder, and my early attempts at roasting, I tried a very light roast. It was stopped not long after the end of first class- not long at all. Honestly, it was over eleven years ago, I can't remember if the roast ended early by accident or by some misguided experiment.

The espresso... As I took the first sip, the first thought towards action began with, "I am sure glad that I chose a location for the espresso machine so close to the kitchen sink." Unsweetened grapefruit, but not in a good way. Out of my mouth and into the sink it went.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
red_ghost
red_ghost

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: QuickMill Replica
Drip: Cuisinart w/Built in Grinder
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 8:29pm

I had horrible espresso at a local cafe.  I asked for a double shot of espresso and a mocha.

The espresso was more like an americano.  It was really watery and bland.  It was also served in a paper cup.  It was bigger than a double shot too.

The mocha tasted like warmed up chocolate milk.  There was almost no coffee taste to it.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 9:02pm

frcn Said:

In a shop, or at home??  :-0

When I first started out with my first machine, my first grinder, and my early attempts at roasting, I tried a very light roast. It was stopped not long after the end of first class- not long at all. Honestly, it was over eleven years ago, I can't remember if the roast ended early by accident or by some misguided experiment.

The espresso... As I took the first sip, the first thought towards action began with, "I am sure glad that I chose a location for the espresso machine so close to the kitchen sink." Unsweetened grapefruit, but not in a good way. Out of my mouth and into the sink it went.

Posted May 7, 2012 link

LOL. Been there as well, but as I've often said, these days, a less than perfect shot becomes a spousal Americano.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 9:10pm

IMAWriter Said:

LOL. Been there as well, but as I've often said, these days, a less than perfect shot becomes a spousal Americano.

Posted May 11, 2012 link

Well, the shot which I related above, if used for a spousal Americano, would have gotten me a blues song, and probably 90 days... Or worse!  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 6:10am

Just about any U.S. restaurant . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
CaffeineFiend
CaffeineFiend

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Redbird Coffee Co.
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 3:31pm

I wish we could "like" posts like on facebook--this is so true.  Any restaurant and even most coffee places make terrible coffee--especially dunkin donuts and starbucks.  I will say that starbucks makes awesome frozen coffee beverages--but with the amount of sugary syrups in those you probably don't even taste coffee.  The worse cappuccino I ever had was recently at a wedding in a very nice banquet hall--the meal was delicious--the cappuccino came out watery, absolutely no frothed milk at the top, and was all around disgusting.  I tried pouring sambuca in to kill the flavor--somehow it made it worse.  As for espresso---as Jason said: just about any restaurant i've been to: possibly Krispy Kreme makes the worste--but again, DD could be the winner of horrible coffee.

"Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as Death, and as sweet as Love."
xeonsamari
xeonsamari
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: bezzera Medea
Grinder: compak k3 touch
Drip: bunn Velocity
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:01pm

ive had two one i got at a great wolf lodge in which I firmly believe the barista used the same coffee puck for mine as the guy half an hour before because there was no grinder noise and the second from a cafe returning from the regional barista competition here in canada inwhich the barista pulled a 5 second shot that was undrink able and when I suggested she check her grind and shot times she looked at me all confussed haha shot was pulled on a beautiful N. Somonelli tho
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > what is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347811937332)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+