Espresso: General Discussion
I have never had an espresso
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have never had...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
Author Messages
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 5:02am
Subject: I have never had an espresso

I am a lifelong drip coffee drinker...
But yesterday I purchased an espresso machine.  I can't believe I did it.  Curiosity killed the cat, yet I couldn't resist the temptation.
I looked at some cheap new and used machines for a couple of days and decided to make the jump by getting a used Saeco Aroma off of eBay.  It's not here yet, but I am already overwhelmed in thoughts of what I am going to do next. I guess I need to get some different beans since I only have Africans on hand, and I probably should go ahead and order them now so I won't have to wait so long to try the machine out.  Maybe I'll just try some of my Rwanda in it and go from there.
Wow... can't believe I did this... I have never even tasted espresso.

Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 5:45am
Subject: Re: I have never had an espresso

Don't pass judgement on espresso based on what you will make in your new/old espresso machine.  You will need a better grinder, preferably an espresso blend of coffee and this is most important, a lot of patience, before you can make what most people would consider good espresso.  Wait, cancel that last part, most people probably do not know what good espresso tastes like since they think Starbucks = good espresso.  Replace most people with people who have taken the red pill.  

The saeco has a pressurized portafilter (the basket you are going to put the coffee in only has one hole in it that creates a back pressure and forces the coffee to come out really quick and gives it a fake crema).  You will need to get rid of it (the pressurized portafilter that is, not the machine) before you can start making real espresso.  

Your grinder unfortunately cannot grind for espresso.  You need a grinder that can grind very fine and consistently.  

Lastly, although the trend in NA is starting to use single origin coffees for espresso, the Italians make espresso by blending coffees from different parts of the world (they also blend arabicas and robustas, which is frowned upon by third wave movement).  Try getting some espresso from here: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I don't want to discourage you, but you have a lot of work to do until you can make good espresso at home, you may want to try some espresso at a local cafe with a good reputation here and over on HB.  Then, if you like the espresso, come back searching for more advice.

Good Luck
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:09am

wsikes Said:

I am a lifelong drip coffee drinker...
But yesterday I purchased an espresso machine.  I can't believe I did it.  Curiosity killed the cat, yet I couldn't resist the temptation.
I looked at some cheap new and used machines for a couple of days and decided to make the jump by getting a used Saeco Aroma off of eBay.  It's not here yet, but I am already overwhelmed in thoughts of what I am going to do next. I guess I need to get some different beans since I only have Africans on hand, and I probably should go ahead and order them now so I won't have to wait so long to try the machine out.  Maybe I'll just try some of my Rwanda in it and go from there.
Wow... can't believe I did this... I have never even tasted espresso.

Posted April 23, 2012 link

Congrats Mr. William on your new purchase - let me too chime in and call your complete set up utterly useless for espresso - wait a minute, have you tried using your Baratza Maestro Plus to grind fine - not powder fine but finer than auto drip? That is all it needs to be capable of producing using the devil a pressurized filter basket. As for coffee, those Rwanda beans will not, unfortunately, make espresso in your set up - they do, however, make espresso in my gear though, so maybe you should try using them any way.  

Oh, you need to by a used HX (in before the usual suspects) since these are the only machines in the world capable of producing espresso - I suppose new HX's clearly will not work for the new user since they are never, ever recommended...

Tongue in cheek of course - go forth and espress with your gear and beans!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Daniel437

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:10am

You have to start somewhere-- I think you will like your machine. Chances are good you'll like espresso if you've been drinking coffee your whole life. Like Eric said, you'll need to do a few things to maximize your machine's potential.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:16am

Thanks Mario... I know I have a long long way to go, but the journey should be fun.  Unfortunately I live out in the hills and mountains and we don't have any coffeeshops within 50 miles of here.  It is easier to get moonshine where I live that it is to get good coffee.  I do roast my own and love the coffee I get, but I want to try something different.  I read a LOT and I know what a challenge this will be for me... sounds like fun.
I'm thinking I will use the pressurized portafilter until I can get a better grinder, but a fellow has to start somewhere, I guess.  I am going to order a decent blend today so I will know it is not the coffee that is the problem when I start pulling my shots... maybe some Black Cat or maybe one of Tom's blends from SM.
Wish me luck...  I'm gonna need it!

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:21am

Thanks Daniel... I'm hoping this machine will be relatively simple and as a beginner I can make some swill to get started... lol.

Bill
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:25am

Give those Rwanda beans a try - I have been using them this weekend and they are delicious.  If it tastes too bright try a sample roast going a little darker.  Also, send me your address on the Green Coffee Buying Club Forum in a PM. Once you know the machine works properly I will send you some coffee through ROASTe - lots of Velton's Bonsai Blend love over there but the Deep Cello Black Tie and Klatch's Belle is popular as well - I will get you something well known so you can easily find what other people describe the taste to be.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:30am

Eric, I am going to try my Maestro Plus, but I am almost positive it will not do the job... especially if/when I go to a non-pressurized portafilter.  I watched a video on how to recalibrate my grinder to grind finer, but I have never even tried it on a fine setting yet.  I'll know more in a few days... hopefully.
I am one of those people who, once they stick their toe in the water, they have to jump in the lake... I have always been this way with my hobbies and I'm sure this will be no different.  I am the luckiest man in the world in that my wife never tells me that I can't buy something if I want it.  I'm not rich, but my wife figures that if I'm happy, she's happy.  So... look out!  I know this is going to be fun!

Bill
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 6:58am

Yep, once you switch to a non pressurized filter basket things change - actually the Maestro can grind fine enough but the burrs will wear out quickly using it this way - probably hard on the gears and motor too.  I played around with mine and got powder once but the sounds it made were not very pleasant.

MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 7:30am

Hey, I used a pressurized pf with a Brevile Cafe Roma and pre-ground Italian espresso for about 4 years and was relatively happy with it (and I did know what real espresso tasted like at the time).  The most important thing is to remember to enjoy the journey.

Maybe you can trade Eric some of that moonshine you mentioned for some espresso :)
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have never had...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279109954834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+