Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
I have never had an espresso
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have never had...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 8:29am
Subject: Re: I have never had an espresso

calblacksmith Said:

Until you get a grinder that is able to properly grind for espresso, I feel your best results will be from the PPF. If you can remove the guts without destroying the PPF, you have nothing to loose by giving that a try. The Aroma is a basic, no frills machine but it does provide proper pressure and with temp surfing, you can get the temp too.

Posted April 24, 2012 link

I plan on using the ppf for a while, but I read that the crema is less bitter using the non-pressurized pf.  Using the ppf would certainly be easier on my Maestro Plus and, if the 'spro isn't too bitter, I may use it for quite a while.  I'm just gonna have to give it a whirl and see what happens.  Some have removed the "guts" from the ppf and have been able to replace them later with no problems.  Others have said that after they removed the plastic part, the spring, and the rubber grommet, that they were not able to successfully restore it.  Of course, they may have broken the little spring or chipped the plastic base when removing it.  We'll see... right now I'm just mainly speculating.

Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 10:18am

wsikes Said:

Wifee and I drink fat-free... I wouldn't think it would froth up very well.  In fact, I'm surprised that it will even froth up at all.  Thanks for that note.

Once in awhile I will get very nice micro foam from the fat free so I know it is posiable.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 1:14pm

When does the machine get to you??  

I ordered a print (cafepress) for my espresso area 14 days ago and I am tired of waiting for it.  The mail would have been 10 times faster than this fedx ground turtle delivery.  They shipped it right away but it has taken forever to get here, I expect it today or tomorrow...
Click Here (www.cafepress.com)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 1:27pm

LOL, that is what we refer to as an ASO.

Or Anvil Shaped Object! The best use for these is as a piece of yard art or if you have a really BIG door that you need to keep open!

The worst ones come from China though the UBER discount tool house Harbor Freight, did have some cast STEEL anvils that were not TOO bad, though they were very soft. The face needs to be hard to not get marked up while you are working.

There were some U.S. made cast anvils that did not ring and when they are in good working shape, they work very well though they are not repairable and when the hard face seperates from the cast base, they are yard art. They were made by Fisher and a lot of people like them because they do NOT ring! Another brand is one that is familiar to nearly every guy that went through metal shop class in High School, back in the 60s to mid 70s, they were made by Vulcan (They featured an arm and hammer logo, raised in casting. They also had a number near the foot which was the weight when new and had one number dropped. A 12 was a 120# anvil) http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/donated_007.php (yes I am a member of that site too!) and they made anvils up until the mid 60s or so. They were the last U.S. made cast anvil and though they are near the bottom of the quality scale of U.S. anvils, they are light years ahead of the ASOs coming from China.

OK, there is my little history lesson on a subject that most people just don't care about anyway!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 2:47pm

Yeah... you're exactly right.  I belong to several smithing forums, including the ones you mentioned, but had to quit because my heart went south... can't swing the old hammer anymore.  I did a lot of research on this type of anvil "after I bought it" but didn't really get burned because it is worth it's weight in scrap.  I just keep it around as a conversation piece... and an ASO is exactly what it is.  Funny thing is that it has a nice ring on one end but the other end is like hitting a piece of wood... lol.

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 2:55pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

When does the machine get to you??  

I ordered a print (cafepress) for my espresso area 14 days ago and I am tired of waiting for it.  The mail would have been 10 times faster than this fedx ground turtle delivery.  They shipped it right away but it has taken forever to get here, I expect it today or tomorrow...

That's a nice poster... I saw those listed somewhere and looked around my work area to see if I had room for one, but I would have to take down my Peyton Manning poster in order to have room for it.  He's staying on the wall, so no coffee poster...lol.
About the slow shipping... I can't think of the classification, but the USPS has a cheap rate on printed material and I know I have waited for weeks to get a book shipped via that method.  It sure is frustrating... I feel your pain.
Oh... almost forgot... my machine is "supposed" to be here by Saturday.  We'll see.

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 4:59pm

I just noticed that the picture of the machine I bought has a different faceplate (control panel face) than the pics of the new ones I have seen.  This must be the older model of the Saeco Aroma.  Anybody know the differences in the old and the new?

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 7:03am

Ordered some Brazil Yellow Bourbon today from Tom... hope it blends well with my Rwanda.  Also ordered some Monkey Blend and Gneiss Workshop #20 (at least I think that's what the name of the blend was...).  Can't wait until the machine gets here.

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 9:26am

Has anybody here ever used a phosphoric acid based cleaner for their stainless steel boiler?  I just happen to have a gallon of Milkstone Remover (approximately 50% phosphoric acid) and it is supposed to be good at descaling stainless steel if diluted.

MODS:  I am going to start a new thread with this post.  Delete this post if it will be a problem.  Thanks.

Bill
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 9:34am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I ordered a print (cafepress) for my espresso area 14 days ago and I am tired of waiting for it...

I have that poster on a t-shirt.  It's one of my favorites.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 4 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have never had...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318494081497)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+