Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
I have never had an espresso
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have never had...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wsikes
wsikes
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 3:21pm
Subject: Re: I have never had an espresso

Coffeenoobie Said:

yes fat milk is better, but since I am fat already I use 2%.  :)  And Call me Noobie! Or Helen, Noob sounds bad.  And why don't I already own metric allen wrenches?

Posted April 23, 2012 link

Will do, Noobie... nice map!

Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 3:24pm

Thanks, I often find myself out and about on a whim so I wanted to have stuff marked ahead of time so I try coffee beans when I am in the area.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 3:33pm

I will froth up some half and half at times and have even done light cream, perfect for after dinner with desert, the more fat seems to equal more sweet. Most of the time I use 2% and fat free for my wife, I find 2% much easier to do well of the two.
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 3:54pm

germantownrob Said:

I will froth up some half and half at times and have even done light cream, perfect for after dinner with desert, the more fat seems to equal more sweet. Most of the time I use 2% and fat free for my wife, I find 2% much easier to do well of the two.

I've read where others use 2%... I bet the cream is good!

Bill
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 6:02am

EricBNC Said:

Oh, you need to by a used HX (in before the usual suspects) since these are the only machines in the world capable of producing espresso - I suppose new HX's clearly will not work for the new user since they are never, ever recommended...

Tongue in cheek of course - go forth and espress with your gear and beans!

NOW NOW NOW, HX machines are NOT for everyone, not even close!!! If you make a lot of drinks a day OR leave it on all day OR make a lot of drink and they are milk based, then yes, you are a great candidate for a HX but if all you want is one or two drinks a day and they are mainly straight, then a PID'd SBDU can turn out great espresso with the least fuss. I am not a fan of PID units for ALL machines (on some machines they are worse than useless) but on a SBDU, they make life much easier. You can get great espresso without a PID but it will require more work on your part to get the temp correct.

Just one of the USUAL SUSPECTS point of view.

Carry on,  the Saeco with a PPF and his grinder will get him something better than the corner coffee shop, even if there was one there, which as there isn't one, he will have the best coffee in his neighborhood!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 6:22am

calblacksmith Said:

Carry on,  the Saeco with a PPF and his grinder will get him something better than the corner coffee shop, even if there was one there, which as there isn't one, he will have the best coffee in his neighborhood!

Posted April 24, 2012 link

I certainly hope so!  I read where the shots are less bitter if drawn using a non-pressurized pf, so I splurged and bought a tamper last night.  I plan on trying the pff first, and then either buying a good pf or cannibalize the ppf.  I want to eventually do this the right way.
Last night I read the entire glossary relating to espresso and found that it was very enlightening.  Even though I knew the meanings of most of the terms, the explanations were very educational.  Good stuff.

Calblacksmith, wanna buy a 292 pound "bootleg" anvil?  I could ship it in via priority mail.  I'll let you have it for the postage...lol.

Bill
wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 6:24am

germantownrob Said:

Wifee and I drink fat-free... I wouldn't think it would froth up very well.  In fact, I'm surprised that it will even froth up at all.  Thanks for that note.

Bill
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 7:18am

wsikes Said:

Calblacksmith, wanna buy a 292 pound "bootleg" anvil?  I could ship it in via priority mail.  I'll let you have it for the postage...lol.

UH, OK, I have to ask, what is a "bootleg" anvil? Would that be home made, counterfit, black market? LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 7:21am

Until you get a grinder that is able to properly grind for espresso, I feel your best results will be from the PPF. If you can remove the guts without destroying the PPF, you have nothing to loose by giving that a try. The Aroma is a basic, no frills machine but it does provide proper pressure and with temp surfing, you can get the temp too.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

wsikes
wsikes

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 8:23am

calblacksmith Said:

UH, OK, I have to ask, what is a "bootleg" anvil? Would that be home made, counterfit, black market? LOL!

From what I have read, these anvils (which have poor casting quality and don't give that "ringing" sound as nicely as a !st line anvil) are apparently made in Mexico using scrap iron and there is/was apparently a market for them in the States at one time.  I hear that many can be found in the southwest... I paid $50 for it and it is worth more than that as scrap.

Bill
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have never had...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362615823746)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+