Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Espresso Machine, Grinder, Empty Bank, Upset wife ... great cup of coffee
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
bittersweet101

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 1:10pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Machine, Grinder, Empty Bank, Upset wife ... great cup of coffee

You know what I really admire about you is your persistence... and that you have a relatively understanding wife. LOL!

Kidding aside, I agree with what was mentioned above, experience is priceless and I guess there really isn't much in this world  that can be acquired the equally taxing and frustrating process of trial and error. At least now you have tremendous amount of experience in trouble shooting espresso machines and also have a quite extensive knowledge on a number of grinders, steam wands, and machines. Or even espresso-making in general!

Thanks for sharing this story. Let us know if there are any updates when your other equipment arrive? :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 4:19pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Machine, Grinder, Empty Bank, Upset wife ... great cup of coffee

I wish he could come back and let us know what happened later...

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CaffeineFiend
CaffeineFiend
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Redbird Coffee Co.
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:06pm

You really can't go cheap with this sort of thing---and most people that haven't done the research or drank the coffee know that.  It's frustrating seeing the eye-rolling when you tell people how much you spent: especially from your mother or your girlfriend.  There were times that I was so deep in research mode my girlfriend would yell at me to "stop jerking off to coffee machines".  My brother even got me a cheap mr. coffee espresso machine.  Soon the steam wand started shooting hot water and when I looked at reviews on amazon several people said it actually exploded.  We all started somewhere--and I'm still learning the subtle nuances of making great coffee.  As men we have an affinity for technology: and as coffee lovers we combine these two obsessions: go big or go home as they say.  You go cheap and you end up spending more and more.  Women don't seem to understand: now my girlfriend doesn't make coffee anymore with our drip machine: she only drinks the cappuccinos I make for her.  On occasion I bring her the delicious caffeinated beverage--smile and look her in the eye and say "Remember when you thought I was crazy?  Yea... shut up."  I should also note I dropped over $300 on an emerald necklace studded with diamonds from Jared and gave it to her around the same time I spend the money on this machine: funny how we have to bribe our loved ones regardless of whose money it is.

"Coffee should be black as Hell, strong as Death, and as sweet as Love."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216690063477)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+