Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Dealing with the coffee haters around me.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Dealing with the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
Jaytxvo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: V60 - 01
Roaster: Redbird, Barismo, Counter...
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 6:26am
Subject: Dealing with the coffee haters around me.

Ever since I got into coffee, I took the time to wake up early in the morning to preparing my morning brewing ritual. I notice alot lately my family has been snickering and making rude comments at me all the time during my brewing process. At first, they kept saying " oh wow you must have nothing to do to go thru all that trouble just to make coffee" to " wow the coffee you make is horrible ".they always have something to comment on everyday and It really annoys me and makes my peaceful and enjoying time brewing coffee not so enjoyable.

My family does not drink coffee much, they will have maybe 1- 2 cups a week. Either their burnt chicory coffee or dunkin donuts. However I noticed lately they been buying more coffee as well, mostly pre ground coffee and instant coffee from asian supermarkets. They would show me the new coffee they buy everyweek and praise how much better this coffee is then what I make.

At first I was able to ignore it, but lately it is getting out of control.

How should I deal with these people!
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 7:16am
Subject: Re: Dealing with the coffee haters around me.

Well, I presume shooting them is out of the question.  (Besides that will involve lots of paperwork, lawyers, and a rather expensive trial . . . not to mention the coffee in prison is really horrible!)  I'm guessing the best solution is to simply ignore them.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
OleVik

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 7:19am

I do the same; love having some extra time to create proper coffee! Just like anything else, people ridicule what they can't understand. If "be quiet" or "piss off" don't work, spend 15 seconds explaining why the coffee you make tastes superbly better than coffee from a supermarket or the like. Also, looking at them like they are imbeciles and plainly ignoring them could work just as good - it is in fact my preferred approach when discussing exercise or espresso v. instant coffee with people who don't know what they're talking about.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 8:34am

Best solution: Find a new family.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 12:02pm

frcn Said:

Best solution: Find a new family.

Posted March 30, 2012 link

Agreed, sounds like they're pretty immature.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 12:56pm

Speaking of immature, did you see that espresso shrine that was in the 16 year old's room?  I was shocked.  I am not sure my parents would let me drink coffee at 16 much less have any sort of coffee maker in my room. (not that I had the space for it)

I think it is great his family is supporting his interest/hobby/passion.  I am sorry your family is not doing that or at least not undermining yours.

Too bad you can't find a quiet place for your espresso shrine where you could enjoy your cuppa in peace.  Maybe they are just jealous.   Or learn to make mokas/cappas/latte's for the least hostile of the bunch and see if you can infiltrate the enemy.  :)  

Come to the dark side.... espresso siren call...

Good luck.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Jaytxvo

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: V60 - 01
Roaster: Redbird, Barismo, Counter...
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 5:02pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Speaking of immature, did you see that espresso shrine that was in the 16 year old's room?  I was shocked.  I am not sure my parents would let me drink coffee at 16 much less have any sort of coffee maker in my room. (not that I had the space for it)

I think it is great his family is supporting his interest/hobby/passion.  I am sorry your family is not doing that or at least not undermining yours.

Too bad you can't find a quiet place for your espresso shrine where you could enjoy your cuppa in peace.  Maybe they are just jealous.   Or learn to make mokas/cappas/latte's for the least hostile of the bunch and see if you can infiltrate the enemy.  :)  

Come to the dark side.... espresso siren call...

Good luck.

Posted March 30, 2012 link

Wow, did not see that; do you know roughly what page it is on in that thread?

I think I will wear headphones with loud music from now on to be in ignorant bliss.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 5:26pm

I can't seem to find it an now I am not sure if it was here or in H-B site.  Both long threads.  Let me see what I can find on that site.  I wish you could just search a topic here.

I know I saw it, I even showed my husband and we talked about what age he started drinking coffee.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
jkoll42

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 5:39am

Not to be smart, but is your coffee any good? :)  Assuming it is, I have to agree with the prior comment that you have a really immature family.  You could a) save up to move away or b) save up for the inevitable defense lawyer you will be needing to keep you out of jail.

How bout a thinly veiled threat like "Wow this coffee is hot.  I bet it would really burn if I tripped and it spilled on you"  

Seriously though, when you have people around you that always just want to cut you down there isn't a whole lot you can do but try to ignore them.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 6:35am

If no one is allergic, grind up a few aspirin (or some citric acid powder) and put it into their preground coffee or their instant. Start with one or two for the first week or so, then slowly increase it. It will add bitterness. After a while you coffee will start tasting pretty good to them. Then tell them they can't have any. Tomorrow's the first as well!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Dealing with the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290381193161)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+