Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Dealing With Cross Posting and Newbie Questions
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Dealing With...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
BodieWavejammer

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 4:05am
Subject: Dealing With Cross Posting and Newbie Questions

Cross Posting... Who cares if it's done as not all CoffeeGeek members keep up with what's going on at Home-Barista, vice versa. I've seen people post the same question on 5-6 forums. They're simply looking for more input. No reason for anybody to get their panties in a bunch over it.

Newbie Questions... I understand the purpose of using search engines, but tracking down definitive info is usually more trouble and time consuming than it's worth and easier to just ASK. Of course those that ask the newbie questions seem to get reamed about not "searching" first. I don't blame them as it's a PITA to do so.
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 7:48am
Subject: Re: Dealing With Cross Posting and Newbie Questions

I've never seen cross posting used to refer to posting on multiple sites.  It's generally used to mean posting in multiple subforums on the same site.  No problem with the former but the latter is definitely not acceptable on any forum site I've been on.

As for searching -- if one doesn't feel that it's worth the effort to take the initiative and search first then why would one expect others to think that it's worth the effort to spoon feed answers?  In many cases searching is a PITA because the signal to noise ratio is on the noise end due to people who can't be bothered to read up on the endlessly rehashed common questions.  Its proper etiquette to search first and then ask.  If you need help searching then ask for help searching.  Search is a skill that everyone needs to have in their tool set these days.  You can't expect everyone to hand you the answers on a platter every time you have a question.

Someone can give you the fish or you can learn to fish for yourself.  "It's easier to ask and searching is a PITA" isn't a justification.  Many worthwhile things aren't easy and are a PITA especially if you don't put forth the effort.  Take the very topic of this site, for example...
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 8:36am

Good advice and comments takeshi.

BodieWavejammer , I am guessing this post is a response to a new owner's post on H-B about espresso machine temps.  Another member mentions cross posting across forums in response.

This topic has come up before - CG doesn't have a problem posting the same question here that was posted on H-B. H-B, however, does not want those posts.  
H-B pays for the space they use so they get to make rules as they see fit - doesn't make one good and the other evil - they just have different visions of what is considered constructive content.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:13am

BodieWavejammer Said:

Cross Posting... Who cares if it's done as not all CoffeeGeek members keep up with what's going on at Home-Barista, vice versa. I've seen people post the same question on 5-6 forums. They're simply looking for more input. No reason for anybody to get their panties in a bunch over it.

Posted April 11, 2012 link

BodieWavejammer Said:

How is it cross posting when you're talking about two different forums and not all members participate on both? I've frequented as many as 6 coffee forums in a day and have seen the same thread posted by the same person. Nobody seems to mind so keep it that way.

Posted February 15, 2012 link

Apparently you think it's fine to post and repost, even on the same forum. I consider it a waste of everyone else's time - the sort of behavior I'd expect from a troll, not a valuable participant.

BodieWavejammer Said:

Actually this is a ____________ forum and it's sort of fun taunting all the newbies and there are lots of them.

Posted February 15, 2012 link

Looking through some of your other posts, I'm surprised you haven't been called out before.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:44am

I personally would like some sticky posts at the top of each section that has the FAQ.  I look for FAQ's when I join a board. Like the one posted every time someone asks the freezing question.  I am sorta trying to write one for the I have less than 1000 dollars and I still want espresso post.  Since I just went through that myself recently.

I feel like a few more FAQ's with links to the guides would be really useful to the noobies like me that do research before they ask questions.  And we can point the ones that don't look to that one spot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:49am

I agree that it's inefficient to post the same questions in multiple places on one site.  Not just because the OP has to look to each thread for the answers, but then people who try to help end up typing the same thing over and over, and that is a waste of time and effort.

Not proud of it, but I've been guilty of posting a question without searching adequately first.  It was definitely my bad and when someone did the search for me, it had all of my answers.  My search had the thing I was looking for mispelled, so I got 0 hits.  Having said that, I definitely see there is a huge lack of "signal" in the large field of "noise" one often gets from doing their own searches and it can be extremely frustrating and time consuming...and then end up being fruitless.  I, personally, don't mind people just logging in and asking for the info they seek, but at the same time agree, the inquirer should do at least a minimal search to see if his/her topic is easily answered without (for lack of a better word) bothering someone else.

As for posting here and on HB.  Well, yeah, they have the right to make whatever rules they want, and they can get upset, but I don't see any problem asking more than one "person" (in this case group of people) the same question.  They'll argue that many of their members frequent both of these sites, but both sites have many members who very rarely visit the other site.  Why should someone be restricted to who they can ask a question?  From that perspective the rule is ludicrous.  Again, it's their prerogative.  My choice is to not bother going to their site, unless someone posts a link to one of their threads that I want to read.  Besides, I like the people here and find this site extremely thorough and easier to navigate.

anyhoooo...my $0.02

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 11:17am

Yes, it is a crazy rule if you post something on site A you can't post it on site B.  They are 2 different sites.  But I just spend my time here instead I don't like unfriendly boards.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 11:49am

I do not have a problem with the rule.  It is explained well enough in FAQ.  

"Search" does however cause some difficulty.  I have found topics on CG by using Norton search or Google, and then could not find the topic again, later date, using search on CG.  After I went to an outside search and found it again, I still could not easily find it using its title, swiped, in the CG search.  I am a proponent of search first but that means a good search engine.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
BodieWavejammer

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 1:41pm

emradguy Said:

I agree that it's inefficient to post the same questions in multiple places on one site.  Not just because the OP has to look to each thread for the answers, but then people who try to help end up typing the same thing over and over, and that is a waste of time and effort.

Not proud of it, but I've been guilty of posting a question without searching adequately first.  It was definitely my bad and when someone did the search for me, it had all of my answers.  My search had the thing I was looking for mispelled, so I got 0 hits.  Having said that, I definitely see there is a huge lack of "signal" in the large field of "noise" one often gets from doing their own searches and it can be extremely frustrating and time consuming...and then end up being fruitless.  I, personally, don't mind people just logging in and asking for the info they seek, but at the same time agree, the inquirer should do at least a minimal search to see if his/her topic is easily answered without (for lack of a better word) bothering someone else.

As for posting here and on HB.  Well, yeah, they have the right to make whatever rules they want, and they can get upset, but I don't see any problem asking more than one "person" (in this case group of people) the same question.  They'll argue that many of their members frequent both of these sites, but both sites have many members who very rarely visit the other site.  Why should someone be restricted to who they can ask a question?  From that perspective the rule is ludicrous.  Again, it's their prerogative.  My choice is to not bother going to their site, unless someone posts a link to one of their threads that I want to read.  Besides, I like the people here and find this site extremely thorough and easier to navigate.

anyhoooo...my $0.02

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I don't bother with the super anal retentiveness H-B offers. Super scientific, wannabe home baristi................
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 1:59pm

BodieWavejammer Said:

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I don't bother with the super anal retentiveness H-B offers. Super scientific, wannabe home baristi................

many of the members there know more and could probably make a better espresso than most of the professional baristas in the world.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Dealing With...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335648059845)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+