Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Dealing with the coffee haters around me.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Dealing with the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
KennyH

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 2:56pm
Subject: Re: Dealing with the coffee haters around me.

Wow, thanks for that. It means a lot.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 3:19pm

You are most welcome. I am just sorry you did not take me at my word the first time.  :)  It was late, I guess I should have explained myself more clearly.  Passion is what makes life worthwhile.  This site is a shrine to coffee passion.  We would not be here if we did not have that in common.

I am looking forward to seeing the star baristas at work in Portland in a few weeks.  I will probably be blinded by the shinies.  I wish I could take you and the OP with me to the event see your faces when you see all the vendors and machines and baristas.  That would be a priceless image.

:)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 3:30pm

Buy a Pharos grinder. That should really piss them off.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 3:59pm

Tie them up. Force them to sign the pink slip to the car. Sell the car. Buy a two group and a Robur.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 2:24pm

KennyH Said:

I would love to do something in coffee, but I'm torn between this and getting a career in medicine as a radiation oncologist or a neuropharmacologist. Pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum, I know. The good thing is that I have awhile to decide. I'll probably end up working as a barista for at least a decent amount of time, though.

Posted April 1, 2012 link

Dude, seriously...if you go into "medicine" you can buy yourself good equipment and then make great espresso drinks at home whenever you want.  Rad oncs do very well financially and have a great lifestyle.  One I know at MD Anderson takes weekend call once a year.  Neuropharmacologists are specialized pharmacists, not MDs...they do well, but not nearly as well as neurologists, neuroradiologists, neurosurgeons.  Maybe you know all this already?  Also, keep in mind that money isn't everything.

ok, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
KennyH

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 3:39pm

Oh I know, but I meant a research career in neuropharmacology (neuropsychopharmacology is what I'm actually interested in) which is still related to medicine. It's definitely not due to the pay- I just think there's such a huge amount of good that can be done in that field. Rad oncs have a great lifestyle and I'm very interested in that as well, especially with all of the emerging technologies. I think diagnostic radiologists  can make somewhat better pay, but that would bore me to death if I had to do that for years. The reason I'm still considering coffee is not exclusively for my benefit. I think it'd be nice to be able to start up my own business and provide a service that I'm really passionate about to others, and also educate them if they wish to be educated. I like helping others with this a lot.

Anyway, we should probably get back on topic.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 5:16pm

Well, without the OP giving us more info I am not sure what else we can say on topic.  I hope he checks back in.

Coffeenoobie

Jaytxvo

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: V60 - 01
Roaster: Redbird, Barismo, Counter...
Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 8:53am

Haha ohh man...

I was quite taken back by all the responses, then I saw the humor in this thread.

Despite my families hatred or annoyance of my coffee brewing. They seem to put the effort of being around when I brew.

I started to wake up at different hours in the morning and for some reason the second I get up, my mother, gets up as well. I think she's just getting up the same time I do just to snicker and comment about my coffee making.

Also in the evening when everyone is in the living room hanging out watching tv and I come home from work.I hear under atleast someones breath, "all he does is make coffee".

Headphones was option 1 and now option 2 is go prepare to make coffee and the second someone is around I leave until they leave the area and come back to make it.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 12:32pm

The control freak mom is a lot to deal with.  I know from first hand.  But the good news is most moms, if you can get them to listen to you, can be moved into supporting something you are passionate about even when they do not approve. (I know that is a big IF -my mom still knows everything and I am 100 years old now!)

This is what I would do if it was my mom.  Save up enough to treat you and your mom to a really nice coffee shop or restaurant that knows how to make espresso.  Probably would try to find one that is not "hipster" or has nice outdoor tables and keep her outside.   I would try to make it appeal to her tastes as possible.  This is about introducing her to your world so make it as enticing to her as you can. My mom considers herself very cultured and would be horrified at dread locks and ear disks etc.  The point is to spend time with her in an elegant place and treat her to some really upscale espresso.  Just chat with her and listen to her.  When she is suitably impressed, casually mention that you feel this good when you drink espresso every day.  Don't lecture, don't say "don't yell at me when I make espresso" etc.  Just say, something like "this is why I like espresso to feel this relaxed"  or something along those lines and speak from the heart about why it is special to you.  Keep it short unless she asks questions, then keep the dialog open.  If she doesn't ask questions just let her mull that statement over.

The worst thing that could happen is you are nice to your mom for a few hours and that is a good thing.  The best thing that could happen is she gets it and leaves you alone or begins to support you over time.

If she is like my mom, if you win her over the rest of the household will follow.

Good luck,

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 12:36pm

If my other idea doesn't work, move your shrine to the basement, garage or your bedroom till you can move out and still wear the headphones.

If she is a Martha fan maybe Martha can help you win her over.

Click Here (www.marthastewart.com)

Coffeenoobie

showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Dealing with the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296783924103)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+