Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
I have become... a SNOB
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have become......  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 1:43pm
Subject: I have become... a SNOB

I did it! I became a snob! I did not mean too.  

I saw a coffee stand that served a good brand of coffee and I bought a naked espresso just to compare to what I have been doing at home... It tasted bad.  No big shock because I don't enjoy naked espresso.  Opened the lid and stared.  NO crema.  Not even a spec of crema, not a hint, not a cling, not a wisp.  Looked like what I made with my steam toy that started this journey.   I was stunned.

I went on down the road a direction I don't often go and saw another coffee stand selling the same good brand of coffee.  So again I buy a naked espresso and this time I look first..... no crema. NADA.  It tasted worse than the first.  I put them in milk when I got home and I could not even cover up how bad they were and tossed the whole mess out.

I have be come a coffee snob.  Just call me coffeesnobie.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 2:24pm
Subject: Re: I have become... a SNOB

Coffeenoobie Said:

I became a snob!

Posted March 1, 2012 link

You might be on the way, but you aren't there yet...

...... I put them in milk when I got home and I could not even cover up how bad they were and tossed the whole mess out.

Now, a real snob would have:
- not gotten espresso in a take away cup
- would have examined the contents and smelled it before sipping
- would have handed it back without tasting when there was no crema present
- once tasted and found it bad would have at least discussed it with the barista (PBTC, actually) and possibly complained, but definitely would have tossed it in the trash
- never have tried to make bad espresso drinkable by adding it to milk (a waste of milk).

I have be come a coffee snob.  Just call me coffeesnobie.

Not yet... keep working at it.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 2:47pm

frcn Said:

You might be on the way, but you aren't there yet...

Now, a real snob would have:
- not gotten espresso in a take away cup
- would have examined the contents and smelled it before sipping
- would have handed it back without tasting when there was no crema present
- once tasted and found it bad would have at least discussed it with the barista (PBTC, actually) and possibly complained, but definitely would have tossed it in the trash
- never have tried to make bad espresso drinkable by adding it to milk (a waste of milk).

Not yet... keep working at it.   ;-)

Posted March 1, 2012 link

LMAO!

I do not consider myself a snob, I will drink almost anything coffee if I have a flask of whiskey with me, if not I put cream and sugar in it and call it an energy drink. I would never buy from a stand without said flask though, not even cream and sugar can usually help that out. I do carry a camp stove, fresh beans, and a moka pot for any road trip over 3hrs.

Now that I am looking at mini vans I am seeing how easy it would be to have a converter and maybe a CC1 for the rear. I guess I would have my own coffee cart, still don't consider myself a snob.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 2:59pm

That is funny FRCN, but last year I would not have known what the brand named beans were much less stopped to taste the brand name beans...
and I would not have tossed it out after tasting. I agree I should not have wasted the milk, I thought I couldn't tell how bad it was with milk covering it, but I could.  Because of that, I think I am farther down the road than you give me credit for...

:)

Coffeenoobie

frcn
frcn

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 3:30pm

It is a matter of drawing lines in the sand and then crossing over, looking back, and saying to your spouse, "Wow. That line is so far back there I can't even see it from here."
And spouse replies, "Ya. No kidding."

I am not sure my journey wasn't more of a jump off a cliff then a walk down the beach, but I certainly lost sight of the line about five years ago. My grinder and espresso machine's street price total is more than I spent on the purchase of my car, and I think I spent about three times more in green beans than on auto maintenance last year. But then again, I have more money invested in harmonicas than most folks spend on a grinder. I just spent $130 just to have five of my harps professionally adjusted!  :-O

Arlo Guthrie (among others) said words to the effect of, "We all say, 'you think you have it bad. Just look at THAT guy.' But what about the last guy? He can't find a street to lay in for a truck to run him over." So, the advice is, just don't be the last guy.

Visit My Website
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 4:23pm

In the cigar world we call it going down the slope, it starts with your first Cuban cigar and ends up with you bidding at Christie's Auction for boxes of 20-40 year old aged cigars from a collection where you know the original purchase date and who cared for the cigars the entire time.

This year I picked up some Don Pachi Gesha green beans that sold for I believe sohightail highest amount per pond for coffee, luckily a group buy was organized at HB and we got it direct from the farm for half the auction price, still I don't consider myself a snob.

Then there is cars for me as well, take a 5th gen camaro, break in the engine, then start modding immidiately while you kiss the power train warranty away. Well at least my electrical warranty is still intact.
IenBell

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 10:34pm

That is funny FRCN, but last year I would not have known what the company named coffees were much less stopped to taste the company name coffees...
frcn
frcn

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 11:03pm

You did learn an important lesson, no? The best beans in inept hands can easily make a poor beverage. So many of us, after numerous disappointments, will only frequent coffee shops of known quality. It's not worth the punishment on the palate to force stuff like that down the gullet. Memories linger, good and bad.

Visit My Website
Dodge1
Dodge1

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K30 Vario WBC & K10 WBC
Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012, 4:34am

A real espresso snob would know that the chances of getting a drinkable espresso from any retail outlet is close to zip and if the area that he lived in had any that brewed a good cup, hed know the first names of all of its baristas and the owner(s) and they all greet him by his first name.  Hed also be prone to spending hours at that establishment, chatting with everyone and comparing notes regarding everything related to brewing an outstanding espresso.  He might even go so far to have his own cup sitting behind the baristas and as soon as he hit the door, theyd start making his espresso.

Now if said snob had an experience like the one you had, hed know that they really didnt care what they served, which unfortunately is most often the case, and hed simply hit the door without saying anything.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012, 9:12am

So, to get zero crema on a good machine would mean stale coffee??

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I have become......  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306827068329)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+