Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Best bottomless portafilter?
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Best bottomless...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
whitehawk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Classic, NS Appia
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 2:51pm
Subject: Best bottomless portafilter?

I want to buy a bottommless portafilter for my ECM Giotto and am wondering if anyone has experience with multiple naked pfs?  I want to get the best build quality that I can - I like 'em heavy!  

I looked at a few online:

http://greatinfusions.com/acsgroup.html
Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)
Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)
Click Here (www.1st-line.net)

I'm not terribly concerned about price, I just want great build quality.  Anyone used one of those listed above or have a good experience with others?

Thanks!

-Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: Best bottomless portafilter?

Except for the first one, I know the rest of the vendors will sell you a good product. I don't know the first one or have any dealings with them so that is the reason I excluded them.

You will get basically the same product from all of them, just as a preference I would buy one that was chromed after being cut, it looks nicer than having the raw brass showing but all will function the same.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 3:39pm

I think i would give the SCG a try. i can tell you I am no fan of my Rancilio, the dumb handle went all wanky on me after about 6 months.

I have purchased ACF cups from Great Infusions in the past. The cups are GREAT and the vendor seems ok.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
whitehawk

Espresso: ECM Giotto Classic, NS Appia
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 4:26pm

Some quotes from the 1st line model:
"Its light weight but it is sturdy and will handle many a knock."
"Let me say that 1st line was great. The portafilter on the other hand is lacking. It weights about half of what the factory one does."

People seem to say it functions perfectly they just wish it had more weight.  It seems stupid to care about the weight, but I do.  

I saw some people saying they were buying the La Marzocco bottomless and doing some light filing to make it fit their E61 groups: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

-Josh
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 5:39am

I've had good experiences with Great Infusions (for cups) in the past and am presently awaiting for the delivery of another set of ACF cups from them.  Fwiw.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 7:41am

The Rancilio OEM handle is probably the heaviest direct fit, and I feel like it's one of the best made castings for a bottomless because the handle-to-body part is thick and positioned so it doesn't get machined away when making it bottomless.  I have the one from ChrisCoffee (second from the top).  

After having had quite a few bottomless portafilters, the OEM Rancilio is one of my favorites along with the OEM LaMarzocco with ergonomic rubberized handle.  (These are also my two heaviest).  

The one I use currently is a LaMarzocco bottomless with a custom-made Macassar Ebony wooden handle from Dave Stephens (check him out at Home-Barista.com for custom wood ideas)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012, 9:04am

I'm with Jon...

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 6:19pm

The best one is the one you already own with the bottom cut off. :) $35 at my local machine shop.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Vagabond

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 6:49pm

Doing a bit of a revival on this thread, as to not make a new one asking more or less the exact same questions...

After much browsing around here and HB, I ordered a Rocket Cellini Premium Plus earlier this week from Chris' Coffee, and am trying to decide which bottomless portafilter to buy.  

I'm leaning towards the one Chris sells, but my only worry with that one is how the matte plastic handle will look will all the shiny plastic knobs/levers on the Rocket.  What I was thinking of doing would be to buy the Rancilio one then swap the handles with my single spout portafilter, but when I emailed them inquiring about handle compatibility, they weren't sure if they would fit, or break the handles, etc.

Does anyone have any opinions on how the Rancilio matte black handles looks with shinier black knobs/levers and/or possibly pictures? Or an answer to my handle swapping idea?

Thanks!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 6:59pm

yeah, I have that Rancilio with the matte finish handle.  It's ok looking, not great.  The unit is nice and heavy and I really like it otherwise.  However, I have an order for custom handles in with Dave Stephens (see Jon's post above), so when that arrives, I'll be moving this one to back up.  The only thing I would change otherwise with the Rancilio handle is the shaft going from the ring to the handle.  The shape is rectangular, rather than round.  I like the round ones better 'cause it's easier to swipe off the grounds that spill over from the grinder and tamp, etc.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Best bottomless...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2848508358)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+