Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Restaurant Espresso Experience
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011, 4:10pm
Subject: Re: Restaurant Espresso Experience

Seared scallops were a bit chewy, but overall a nice entree.

GaryH: Palace-Hotel-SFO-4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011, 4:11pm

Lunch was good, but not great. I really did enjoy eating at the Palace Hotel though. I had to try an espresso, besides it's "only" $6. Waiter told me they use pods (better be good pods). Nope. Add a sugar cube to make the espresso drinkable. Warm sugar water with coffee flavoring. Yum! The photo of the espresso looks a bit odd, but the "crema" on the espresso consisted of tiny bubbles which broke up quickly showing the black coffee underneath.

GaryH: Palace-Hotel-SFO-5.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011, 4:16pm

GaryH Said:

Espresso

Posted December 23, 2011 link

Ummm... There is something seriously wrong with that "crema," isn't there? It looks gelatinous and gloppy.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2012, 10:05am

Medium-rare prime rib with creamy horseradish and a full body cabernet Sauvignon at Hillstone steakhouse in San Francisco. Happy new year to me. Yum!

GaryH: HillStone-SanFrancisco-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Jan 1, 2012, 10:05am

Espresso is only $1! Beans are roasted by Taylor Maid Farms located in Sonoma County, located just north of San Francisco http://taylormaidfarms.com/ . Beans were ground to order. Looks like I was served about 5oz espresso. Consuming this espresso was like having a soup bowl of carbon tasting hot water. Gross! Nothing like that to top off a wonderful prime rib meal. Not!

GaryH: HillStone-SanFrancisco-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sun Jan 1, 2012, 1:13pm

The espresso was horrible and huge?  This feels like the obverse of Woody Allen's famous complaint about the awful-tasting food at a restaurant where, to top it off, "...the portions are so small!
xdavex
xdavex
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme
Grinder: Mazzer
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Ceramic
Posted Wed Feb 15, 2012, 7:43am

I've been to several continents and always keep a critical eye on anything coffee: whether it's a coffeeshop, restaurant, roaster or simply a small shop selling coffee-related stuffs.

To be on topic here, my experience varies from bad to enlightening. However they all share 1 similarities. Whether a restaurant delivers great espresso or not depends on the owner of the establishment. I'm sure we have all been to fancy places only to be disappointed with the espresso. And even more rare is the quiet restaurant at the corner which actually serve really GREAT espresso!

There was this Vietnamese pho (traditional Vietnamese noodle) restaurant place in Paris, France which actually serve espresso that can rival any cafes. Sadly I don't remember the name of the restaurantÖ Wouldn't expect that.

Instead, I was more disappointed with the espresso in Italy (despite their image of being the leader in everything espresso). Quite ironic.

There is one city where you can never go wrong with any coffeeshop you enter: Amsterdam. If you know what I mean lol
IenBell

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 9:16pm

I have no uncertainty there are dining establishments who cure their java as they do their wine beverage beverages record.  Let's wish you are right and this grabs on; it would be a amazing merger!
tina_daniels

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Jr, HX
Grinder: Lelit  PL53
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 6:32am

GaryH Said:

Next I asked the waitress if they served espresso. Now here comes the twist. Both the waitress, and the boyfriend (Jose) of another waitress, also work at a third wave coffee house, Red Berry Coffee Bar, located in San Jose, so they knew all about great espresso.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

The waitress at Bon Vivant advised me not order the espresso because the espresso machine wasnít very good, and they were not allowed to change the grind setting on the grinder. The espresso, made with roasted coffee beans from Mr Espresso, was pretty decent actually. The waitress was so embarrassed serving the espresso that she didnít charge me for it. I also had a cappuccino with latte art, but the barista told me that she didnít like the steam wand of the espresso machine, so getting quality steamed milk was a problem. So the unusual thing is that the waitress actually discouraged me from ordering espresso drinks because they actually knew what quality espresso is supposed to taste like and they warned me that I would be disappointed with it.

Posted October 16, 2011 link

i LIKE this.  A lot. You don't usually see people doing that at their jobs. Good for her!

It's kinda sad for the restaurant. But, I'm sure the waitress doesn't have enough pull to do anything about it.  

Interesting thread all around - I love it.

I have yet to have any good espresso really, at any restaurant. I had high hopes for an Italian place here, amazing food - but the cappuccino I ordered had a terrible taste.

There was a small, family owned place about 5 minutes from me that used to be here... they had amazing coffee from a Moka pot.  Not quite the same, but it was killer with the tiramisu.
jwsnyder919

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2012, 8:11pm

For all the horror stories, here's a good one.

if you ever find yourself in Lansing, Michigan, make your way to Fork in the Road.  Locally sourced ingredients done right.  Coffee service by Artie's Filling Station, another local joint -- apparently, Artie's supplies coffee service to Fork and Fork supplies Artie's with sandwiches to serve at its stand alone location.  

First, the coffee.  I had a really nice shot (Picture below -- I'm not going to mess with pixel size for this site).  Artie's owner John (who was serving tonight) sources beans from Grand Rapids' MADCAP coffee.  Shot had a great fruit to it.  Smooth and expertly pulled.  He watched it intently through a bottomless PF.  Served with some sparkling water to cleanse the palate.  Lots of win.  

http://imgur.com/PbTcf

Then, as good as the shot was, was the cap.  He told me he uses local whole milk from a local dairy (I forget the name).  Wonderful texture, perfectly made, and a nice bit of art.  

http://imgur.com/OPG2t

Setup looked to be a Nuova Simonelli 3-group and a Mazzer SJ (might have been major -- I don't know the Mazzers well enough to differentiate between anything other than the Robur and the Mini and it wasn't either of those).  Looking forward to checking out his stand alone location tomorrow.  

As for the food, I forgot to snap a picture.  Fork likes to do their high-end take on diner foods.  I had one of the two daily specials and it was outrageous.  Smoked pork belly over risotto with smoked cheddar and honey.  The honey made the dish -- added a wonderful texture and sweetness.  They either use a flat top or a quick fry to the belly to give it a good crisp.  

My friend had some of the other special.  House made tagliatelle with smoked duck and goats milk gouda.  I preferred the belly, but both were outstanding.  The rest of the menu looked really interesting.  Another of our friends had the hot ham and cheese which looked amazing.  Smoked meatloaf sandwich looked amazing (glanced at it at another table).  As did the fried chicken with greek yogurt, organic hot sauce, honey, and sea salt.  I think I may go for lunch tomorrow!

I went for the food but man was the coffee wonderful.  I had a second shot after I finished eating with dessert which was similarly ridiculous ("The Elvis": Challah toast with toasted fluff on top, tempura fried banana and PB&J Gelato).  

Unbelievably full and wonderfully content.  The coffee was near perfection and the food was as well.

I hope we get to read some more similarly good stories and not as many horror.
showing page 9 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319674015045)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+