Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Restaurant Espresso Experience
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 9:19am
Subject: Re: Restaurant Espresso Experience

GaryH Said:

Actually I almost always pay more than $2 for an espresso. Ritual coffee in San Francisco charged $3.75 for a single origin Costa Rica espresso. Intelligentsia in Pasadena also charged $3.75 for a single origin espresso when I visited a few weeks ago.

Posted October 3, 2011 link

Ok, Ritual is the exception to the rule.  Their pricing on beans is through the roof (justifiably)...so their shots definitely will cost more.  I like their beans, but buying from them is an extreme treat for me.   Intelligentsia, though, I'm surprised at that price! Granted, it's the CA economy to some degree I'm sure.  I'd be curious to hear if they charge that price everywhere or if its lesser in other states.  That's pretty extreme, and I can't imagine actually paying that much for a shot...no wonder everyone buys lattes! :)  On the other hand, if that's a viable pricing structure....I may have to revisit the cafe idea at some point...I'd figured it on $2 a shot which provides VERY little margin by the time you get done with equipment and electric/water costs.  I looked only at the area, determined it was a bad idea at that price, and quickly dismissed the notion before the point of looking at third waves in other regions.

GaryH Said:

There are a few coffee houses in Los Angeles that use roasted coffee beans from Seattle, like this Victrola Streamline espresso I had at the Commissary coffee house, and it was a very good shot!

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

"Beans from Seattle" do not automatically mean *$ . . . in fact, at least in California, *$ coffee is roasted at a facility just outside Carson City, Nevada and doesn't come from Seattle at all . . . .

Oh there's quite a few very excellent roasters in/near Seattle.  I'm a fan of Zoka's Quattro myself (again a treat...the beans are average in price but their shipping is brutal!)  I didn't mean "beans from Seattle" are inherently bad or Starbucks.  I mean that a statement of "beans from Seattle" carry an implication that the person uttering the words gets caught up in the *$/SB "It's from Seattle so it's inherently good" line.  (When was the last time someone uttered "we use beans from Minnesota!" despite the fact that excellent roasters like Paradise can be found there?)

I couldn't tell from Gary's statement if the waiter actually said "beans from Seattle" as though there should be automatic quality assurance in that statement, or if he said the name of a roaster and Gary just filled it in remembering it was a Seattle roaster but couldn't remember what the name was.
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 9:58am

TheMadTamper Said:

I couldn't tell from Gary's statement if the waiter actually said "beans from Seattle" as though there should be automatic quality assurance in that statement, or if he said the name of a roaster and Gary just filled it in remembering it was a Seattle roaster but couldn't remember what the name was.

The waiter told me that the roasted coffee beans came from Seattle. He also told me the name of the roaster but I never heard about it, and I can't remember the roasters name.
TheMadTamper

Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 10:07am

GaryH Said:

The waiter told me that the roasted coffee beans came from Seattle. He also told me the name of the roaster but I never heard about it, and I can't remember the roasters name.

Oh, ok, that's better then :) Perhaps the better question to ask him would have been the roast date ;)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 12:29pm

Here's is Gary's previous post in its entirety, with my emphasis added:

GaryH Said:

Almost finished with my excellent meal, so time to order an espresso pulled on the Synesso. The waiter told me that they use roasted coffee beans from Seattle. I didnít recognize the name of the roaster. The 2oz double espresso had a nutty flavor. Better than Starbucks but not even close to an espresso I can get at TW coffee houses. But for only $2, and it being pulled on a Synesso, it was definitely worth the experience.

I thought it was obvious from the start it wasn't *$ . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
TheMadTamper

Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 12:37pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Here's is Gary's previous post in its entirety, with my emphasis added:
The 2oz double espresso had a nutty flavor. Better than Starbucks but not even close to an espresso I can get at TW coffee houses. But for only $2, and it being pulled on a Synesso, it was definitely worth the experience.

I thought it was obvious from the start it wasn't *$ . . .

Right, but I couldn't tell if he was sarcastically joking or not: "Seattle, no I don't recognize the name of that roaster" :) (Sometimes text takes on a different color in your head, I suppose.)  Or some of us just have warped senses of humor :)

Or having the experience with the handful of "espresso places" (I daren't call them cafes) around that proudly boast they use Seattle's Best (*$) has ruined me :) There's a perception, at least on THIS coast, that if it's from Seattle it must be good, as though Seattle is a coffee pilgrims dream :)  So hearing someone say "it's from Seattle" here would carry the connotation that would equal a coffee geek's version of [insert your favorite roastmaster's name here] roasted it by hand, one bean at a time, over a Bunsen burner. :)

Yes, I realize we have some amazing roasters here, though we seem to have more excellent roasters than excellent cafes on this cost :) But the public perception of coffee is still behind you West Coast rabble! :) And that goes doubly for restauraunts!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 12:55pm

Oh, have no fear -- restaurant espresso sucks universally . . . West, East, Gulf Coasts or Heartland.  Blech!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
TheMadTamper

Posted Tue Oct 4, 2011, 7:14am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Oh, have no fear -- restaurant espresso sucks universally . . . West, East, Gulf Coasts or Heartland.  Blech!

But not in Seattle!? (*A children's choir breaks out in angelic sound as a beam of light is cast upon the fair coffee heaven that is Seattle....) :P
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2011, 11:03am

I was in downtown Palo Alto to have an espresso at a new french bakery, Paris Baguette. They use coffee beans roasted by Ritual in San Francisco.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uswest/548190

The same evening I had an interesting restaurant espresso experience with a twist. In the evening downtown Palo Alto is very lively and itís fun to walk around and take it all in. I walked by this french restaurant, Bon Vivant, which opened just three months ago, and decided to have dinner there. They served me this complimentary calf liver pate plate which was delicious! Since it had such a nice presentation, and I had my camera with me, I decided to take pics of the meal.

GaryH: Bon-Vivant-Palo-Alto-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

The Hors díOeuvres selection was so interesting I decided to have that just for dinner. This is the Foie Gras which was so incredibly rich itís almost a shock to eat it, but it was so good! The peach pairing didnít work for me.

GaryH: Bon-Vivant-Palo-Alto-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

My second Hors díOeuvres was scallop plate. I selected the Chardonnay to pair with the scallops. Nice dish! I chose to sit outside. The air was a bit crisp, but the experience was nice!

GaryH: Bon-Vivant-Palo-Alto-3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 7 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438705921173)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+