Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Restaurant Espresso Experience
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Wed Jul 6, 2011, 2:22am
Subject: Re: Restaurant Espresso Experience

Whether or not, you have the right to call it "espresso", but for Italians, they won't call it "espresso".

The customers also have the right to call it as they like, I think.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Wed Jul 6, 2011, 8:42am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Hmmmm . . . is "Fred" a common name for a caveman?  Who knew?  Well, if you want to engage in a genuine conversation, let me know -- but I wouldn't want to tax that little caveman brain.  But, OTOH, if a worldly human being by the name of Fred wants to participate on a site like CG, I say "welcome."

Posted July 5, 2011 link

Before anyone bashes Fred too severely, I'd point out for those that may not be in the know, that he was quoting an old Phil Hartman Saturday Night Live sketch about a caveman lawyer who would finish every single closing argument with that speech followed by the "I do know one thing..." statement (after which the jury would be positively moved and convinced of his defense.)

Just thought I'd point out where the humor was intended to be going....

That I actually know this is rather depressing, however... :)
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jul 6, 2011, 8:50am

Yes, well -- in this context, it's about as funny as Starbux trying to pass itself off as top-quality espresso . . . ;^)

(Of course, my problem is that I stopped watching SNL after the original cast left.)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
TheMadTamper

Posted Wed Jul 6, 2011, 8:51am

alliewk Said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. YES! This is all possible. Especially, Especially, Especially if they had the space, cash, demand to install a full espresso bar, and have hired a full time highly trained barista. Why wouldn't it be?
No, seriously. Why wouldn't it be possible to maintain high volume sales, bean inventory, and have continuously dialed in fresh coffee?

Posted July 1, 2011 link

Thanks for taking the time to sign up and write such a superb commentary.  Welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, for a large enough restaurant such as yours, with a full service coffee program and an obviously dedicated barista running it, that certainly wouldn't be such a problem.  For the average small restaurant in most sections of the country, it would be fair to say that unlike a cafe where every customer (nearly every customer) is there for an espresso based beverage, and the hoppers can't stay full long enough, relatively few customers would be ordering espresso based beverages.  Even if it were  fantastic espresso, it would pale next to alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, and plain old drip coffee. While enough may be interested, for these establishments keeping a rotating stock of beans (or keeping the grinder running with enough frequency to not stale in the chute) would be a challenge.  Coffee would pair with the dessert program more than the dinner program in these cases, and in most small restaurants, the dessert program is low volume on its own. Obviously, the more up-scale you go, the larger the size tends to go, and certainly the numbers play out much better.
TheMadTamper

Posted Wed Jul 6, 2011, 8:53am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Yes, well -- in this context, it's about as funny as Starbux trying to pass itself off as top-quality espresso . . . ;^)

Posted July 6, 2011 link

Or a winery.... :)

(Of course, my problem is that I stopped watching SNL after the original cast left.)

Hartman was the last of the genuine comedians on it, I stuck it out as long as he was there....but couldn't stand it much beyond that...
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Jul 11, 2011, 6:32am

I agree. it's very hard to find a restaurant that offers a decent espresso. Even in Italy not all the bars and restaurants are up to it. But there's one difference: In Italy you usually don't order an espresso to be brought to your table, which ineviably leads to the coffee being too cold unless it's served immediatly. In Italy you buy and drink it at the bar (hence the word barista): The espresso is made at your oder and served at once.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
moreshots

Espresso: Cimbali DT1//Jura Z5
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pharos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Made my own 2KG roaster
Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011, 4:39pm

Thankd for the post on Woodbury, I will be taking my wife there the weekend of the GP race in Baltimore.
I am from Chicago and appreciate the help in finding a great place as I travel to Baltimore area quite often.

thanks again
Bill

jbviau Said:

For a huge exception to the general rule, check out Baltimore's Woodberry Kitchen. Their coffee program is amazing and got a nice write-up in Barista Magazine recently (click here; then go to p. 56).

Posted June 30, 2011 link

alliewk
alliewk
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Gb5/ Synesso...
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Roaster: Counter Culture Coffee
Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011, 9:46pm

moreshots Said:

Thankd for the post on Woodbury, I will be taking my wife there the weekend of the GP race in Baltimore.
I am from Chicago and appreciate the help in finding a great place as I travel to Baltimore area quite often.

thanks again
Bill

Posted July 12, 2011 link

Bill,
Please let me know when you make your reservation at Woodberry. I would love to meet you and your wife, and offer you a memorable meal in your stay in Baltimore. You can directly contact me at allie@woodberrykitchen.com. Cheers. Look foward to seeing you.-allie
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moreshots

Espresso: Cimbali DT1//Jura Z5
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pharos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Made my own 2KG roaster
Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011, 2:37pm

Allie
I will let you know what night or nights we may be in , I truly appreciate the kindness of your offer but would offer to bring you anything "almost" from Chicago. we will be in that weekend and I will contact you after making a reservation  .I look forward to meeting you and sampling your great coffees.

Thank you
Bill

alliewk Said:

Bill,
Please let me know when you make your reservation at Woodberry. I would love to meet you and your wife, and offer you a memorable meal in your stay in Baltimore. You can directly contact me at allie@woodberrykitchen.com. Cheers. Look foward to seeing you.-allie

Posted July 12, 2011 link

iDrinkCoffeeCanada

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP, Speedster,...
Grinder: Versalab, Robur E
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Roaster: Diedrich IR-12
Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011, 5:30pm

With all excuses in place; restaurateurs should realize that coffee or espresso is the last thing that your customers have and if it sucks it leaves a bad impression.  So any reasonable, business minded, restaurant owner should put a priority on providing the best possible coffee, it is certainly more important than dessert which receives considerable more attention in the average restaurant.  I have eaten at most top restaurants in Toronto and not a single one comes to mind that produced an espresso worth drinking and very much to their peril in my opinion.

Please take heed restaurateurs.  Good coffee results in more satisfied customers.  The last impression is the one we most remember.

SJ

Find www.iDrinkCoffee.com on facebook and become a fan for deals, contests and more.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Restaurant...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.340021133423)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+