Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Is adding sugar lame?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 6:26pm
Subject: Re: Is adding sugar lame?

ilcaffedio Said:

Dave this isn't specifically directed at you, but It is possible to be overly politically correct.  That attitude reinforces the commodity coffee mindset and completely disregards the efforts of specialty coffee industry, and what we have strived to become.  It disregards the work of everyone from seed to cup.  

Posted February 3, 2011 link

I'm not sure it does, in the same way when Carsilver said what's the point of coming to a Coffeegeek site, im not sure that's the right way either. I say this is because if you make these people feel either unwelcome, stupid or wrong in any way and don't try to understand the mindset, then all the efforts you put in are never as effective. Tell someone the way they enjoy their coffee is lame and they may not come back, may not communicate with you again and you loose any chance you had to try and introduce them to other ways of thinking. Far better to say, "sure, OK if you like it that way, that's fine", "have you ever tried......."....far more productive. The efforts of the speciality Coffee industry are a good start, but I think could in future be more end customer, rather than mainly industry focussed. Very easy to get so caught up in it all and forget the end customer of the product....Joe public. If commodity coffee didn't exist, you would lose a valuable introductory step into the world of speciality coffee. Lot's of people start with something like a Tassimo, or a carafe and supermarket coffee, then go on to greater things.

When working with manufacturers of espresso machines or roasters, I could have said, "your machine is crap in these areas".....end of conversation. I found that "I understand why you want to do that" and genuinely trying to understand, followed by "have you thought of trying this", works better.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011, 9:05am

DavecUK Said:

I'm not sure it does, in the same way when Carsilver said what's the point of coming to a Coffeegeek site, im not sure that's the right way either. I say this is because if you make these people feel either unwelcome, stupid or wrong in any way and don't try to understand the mindset, then all the efforts you put in are never as effective. Tell someone the way they enjoy their coffee is lame and they may not come back, may not communicate with you again and you loose any chance you had to try and introduce them to other ways of thinking. Far better to say, "sure, OK if you like it that way, that's fine", "have you ever tried......."....far more productive. The efforts of the speciality Coffee industry are a good start, but I think could in future be more end customer, rather than mainly industry focussed. Very easy to get so caught up in it all and forget the end customer of the product....Joe public. If commodity coffee didn't exist, you would lose a valuable introductory step into the world of speciality coffee. Lot's of people start with something like a Tassimo, or a carafe and supermarket coffee, then go on to greater things.

Posted February 3, 2011 link

To be fair, the focus of this thread is not on whether or not cafe owners should chase sugar users out of the cafe with a broom in one hand and a spiked portafilter in the other, nor how the industry should view customers who do so, but rather a question by a cafe customer as to whether a customer should view adding sugar as proper etiquette or not.  That is end consumer centric and demonstrates actions/thoughts by the consumer on how the coffee's serving is intended.

When working with manufacturers of espresso machines or roasters, I could have said, "your machine is crap in these areas".....end of conversation. I found that "I understand why you want to do that" and genuinely trying to understand, followed by "have you thought of trying this", works better.

You've never been to New York, have you? ;)

I'll agree with Tony about "overly politically correct"....the "don't word it this way and say what you mean, cow your words behind politically correct patronizing phrases that everyone sees through and knows what you really mean but makes you look less accusational" mentality is SOOO last year.  There are people (and geographical regions) (read: NYC) that actually appreciate blunt honesty :)

And, no, I'm not suggesting to be rude to everyone, but there's a difference between kindness and political correctness.  PC tends to have a patronizing "lie to me" tone :) We expect it from governments and corporations....I don't want to hear it from my baista or espresso tech!  Obviously you're working with big corporations who expect the dialogue to be PC (sadly), so you probably don't want to tell your suppliers they build garbage.
DavecUK

Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011, 9:48am

I simply believe people are entitled to have things the way they want them, If I or anyone else thinks differently, then it's up to us to persuade them (and at least do them the courtesy of understanding their point of view), I might think a decision/elements of a product is crap, but until I understand why, it's an opinion that might be incorrect. The consumer is king, not the speciality coffee industry, even though I understand why some might hold different views about how their products "should" be enjoyed.

Politically Correct....I am not, but i'm trying to learn to be tactful. I pick and choose who I work for and when, I have no need to work (retired), I only do it if I want to, or I am interested in a project, so I don't have to be PC at all..
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011, 5:55pm

I once threw a friend out of my house for asking for ice with a 25 year Macallan Single Malt Scotch I offered him.

I guess I'm just not a "have it your way " kinda guy. :-)
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Fri Feb 4, 2011, 9:33pm

Endo Said:

I once threw a friend out of my house for asking for ice with a 25 year Macallan Single Malt Scotch I offered him.

I guess I'm just not a "have it your way " kinda guy. :-)

Posted February 4, 2011 link

I don't go quite that far but if a guest puts ketchup on the prime steak i spent considerable effort picking out and preparing, it's their last invite!

Dan Brewer
jrtp09
jrtp09

Espresso: Krups
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2011, 3:06am

frankthecrank Said:

Of course it's not lame to add sugar to your espresso if you enjoy it that way. Espresso is not a contest or a challenge. It is one of life's enjoyments given to us by the gods. Do with it what you will!

Posted January 28, 2011 link

I agree, coffee is nectar from the gods, I would never adulterate it by adding anything to it after it's been brewed - be it sugar or, heaven forbid, a vanilla flavouring!
vjhardcore
vjhardcore

Espresso: Rocket Giotto EVOLUZIONE,...
Grinder: Anfim
Posted Sun Apr 3, 2011, 4:35pm

LavazzaBlue Said:

Hi! I am a newbie on this forum.  I noticed while in Italy that Italians often put sugar in their espresso, so I was surprised by the question and answers here!

Posted January 25, 2011 link

Ha - I love this forum. Theres no such thing as a dumb question; and you'll almost always get multiple answers that are all right. With food/drink my two cents theres never a black/white.

That said, my answer inline with the above "Only Nonnas' and Nonnos' put sugar in their expresso" - because centuries ago we only had Moka machines.

Cheers

"I'm a man of simple tastes, easily satisfied by the best" Winston Churchill
DavecUK

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011, 5:33pm

gime2much Said:

I don't go quite that far but if a guest puts ketchup on the prime steak i spent considerable effort picking out and preparing, it's their last invite!

Posted February 4, 2011 link

from the land of barbecue sauce......lol
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011, 6:57pm

DavecUK Said:

from the land of barbecue sauce......lol

Posted April 4, 2011 link

I will grudgingly provide you with BBQ sauce for the ribs....but only if you insist ;-)

Dan Brewer
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Apr 5, 2011, 9:19am

gime2much Said:

I will grudgingly provide you with BBQ sauce for the ribs....but only if you insist ;-)

Posted April 4, 2011 link

LOL.  +1.

Habenaro sauce, now that's a different story .... oh yeah.  Gotta love it.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 10 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388473033905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+