Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Is adding sugar lame?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:52am
Subject: Re: Is adding sugar lame?

cappuccinoboy Said:

Well, I feel a scent of sarcasm in your words, so I can only answer that if you did you would know the difference and then decide for yourself which you like best : I repeat that the matter is strictly personal (like taste buds..)I can assure you that there are lots of Italians who do not ADD sugar, some prefer it corretto with grappa or else..., what really I have never seen is adding any of those so called Italian syrups....
Ciao, pietro

Posted January 27, 2011 link

I've always been curious about the syrups.  As far as I know the story it's really an American thing started by Torani...though the syrup recipes themselves supposedly did come from their family in Italy....but what they USED them for there...no idea.  I'd almost guess it was for a candy or pastry of one form or another once upon a time, but I imagine the story of it is lost.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:55am

secondo Said:

No it definitely isn't!  I don't add sugar, but I view that as a flaw on my part not a virtue.  The refusal to add sugar forces roasters to emphasize certain aspects of their coffee (such as sweetness) at the expense of others.  Ideally some espressos would have a little sugar added and others wouldn't allowing us to achieve even higher heights and more sophisticated and diverse tastes.  None the less I can't get over my bias against adding sugar so I never do it.  I do add milk to about 1/5 of my drinks however (and have the other 4/5 as straight espresso black).

Posted January 27, 2011 link

I think it's a philosophy thing.  I'm not sure it "forces roasters to emphasize certain aspects" so much as if the coffee on its own lacks aspects that make it drinkable without adding other ingredients, can you consider it a good coffee blend/bean?  Just as adding sauce to a mediocre steak would improve it, an excellent steak needs none, does that apply to espresso?  Does a proper espresso need additives, or is that something to compensate a flawed bean?  I doubt there's a right answer, but the one most accepted by the coffee community seems to be that the best bean is the one that stands out well on its own without additives.
ilcaffedio

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:56am

The Italian lumberjacks put it on their pancakes.  

Probably candy, that would be my guess.  No idea on this one...
GearDriven

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:40am

Why all the narcissism?  And who cares what the Italians do?  Should I talk with my hands when I drink espresso too?  The Reinheitsgebot forbids anything other than barley, malt, and hops in  beer--but some heffeweizens taste great too.  

I like sugar with some varietals and others straight.  The sugar can bring out other flavors.  If you are adding it to cover a nasty shot -- then it is just that.  But it can really enhance other great shots.  While touring Miami, I hung out with some cubans who were the most anal-retentive people I have met when it comes to espresso-- but they sweeten it up to the point where it tastes like those coffee hard candies -- but it is still delicious!  In Turkey I've had coffee loaded with sugar (gasp), boiled (OH NO!) multiple times (HAVE MERCY!!!) and it was delicious as well.  I've had shots of espresso brewed with Robusta blends that knocked my socks off.  

The idea that if you do x "you're doing it all wrong" is beyond elitist and pushes into the levels of ignorance I expect in a Starbucks line at a train station.  Have _your_ coffee the way _you_ want it.  Mix it up.  I thought most of the coffee I had in Italy was pretty crummy compared to other parts of Europe.  Same goes for many of the "great" places in the states.  If a barista is upset that I added sugar to the coffee, then they should not be upset when I return my espresso (perhaps multiple times) because the crema/taste/etc was off.   Even the baristas get lazy sometimes because most customers don't really know what they are drinking.  There was one particular Angel at Caffe Darte in Seattle that did dump my espresso twice until she got the perfect extraction (she got a 1000% tip as it was one of the best espressos I have ever had).

The idea that there is one right way to enjoy espresso leads away from the great experimentation that can be had from dancing outside of the lines.  Ever try milkduds with a really bold ristretto?
ilcaffedio

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:51am

Relax big guy.  Ever try having a sense of humor?
frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 3:35pm

Of course it's not lame to add sugar to your espresso if you enjoy it that way. Espresso is not a contest or a challenge. It is one of life's enjoyments given to us by the gods. Do with it what you will!
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:50pm

TheMadTamper Said:

Just as adding sauce to a mediocre steak would improve it, an excellent steak needs none, does that apply to espresso?

Posted January 28, 2011 link

I think it does and it's an excellent analogy. And if the steak is really bad no sauce will ever make it a good steak. On the other hand if you add sauce to an excellent steak you should be aware that inevitably you will lose some of the steak's own (and excellent) taste. But of course itīs your choice because it's you who are going to eat it...
Besides you will perceive more easily the differences between coffeees and origins if you drink them straight (that's why professional coffee tasters don't add any sugar)
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Jan 29, 2011, 9:32am

Actually, adding milk to espresso is closer to adding sauce to a steak.  Adding salt to allow the savory flavor to be experienced more intensely is the equivalent of adding sweetener to espresso - the bitter is diminished and the sweetness in coffee created by caramelizing during roasting is intensified - complemented.

Just as a person can add so much sauce or salt to a steak to overwhelm any natural flavor, too much milk or sugar can overwhelm the taste of roasted and brewed coffee.  The ratio of these (or any other ingredients) at which one finds happiness is completely individualized and subjective.  What ever a person says tastes good to them is just that irregardless of outside opinion.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:05am

I think you mean disirregardless. ;)
I'm in agreement with Eric, he pretty much said what I was thinking. And baristas, if you're too snobby to think that adding sugar to your Precious Beverage, why put the sugar out in the first place?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ginalola

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II; Pasquini...
Grinder: (2) Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:43am

Eric, I think you just won the debate.
showing page 5 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287541151047)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+