Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Is adding sugar lame?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bdbayer
bdbayer
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Baratza Maestro
Drip: Chemex. Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 25, 2011, 6:33pm
Subject: Re: Is adding sugar lame?

I'm kind of a sugar freak.  I love sugar, but I usually take my espresso without sugar.  However, for a latte I start with one pump (about a 1/4 shot) of Monin Pure Cane Syrup.  The sugar taste is far better than most others.  I only do that at home though.  If i go to a great shop, it's straight.

Barry B
 View Profile Link to this post
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 2:21am

Of course you can do what you want with your food and it's nobody business. You can even go to a top class restaurant and put sugar in the soup or on the chef's speciality if you like it. The point is if it's worth buying an expensive machine and grinder, order speciality freshly roasted coffee, read all about how to make great espresso, go in the "geeks" sites to learn everything about making the best espresso,  make a careful distribution, weight the dose and the tamping, time the shots,etc. etc. make a top class espresso and in the end...add sugar to it (thus masking and altering its flavour or in other words - spoiling it)! Isn't this a bit contradictory?
As for Italians putting sugar in espresso yes most do but theirs is a different approach they don't take it as a gourmet food but as a hot quick drink in the cafe while talking and thinking about other things (besides the fact that most Italian blends have robusta in it)
jsaliga
jsaliga

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 5:12am

If adding sugar is lame then what about milk?  Are not people who enjoy cappuccinos and lattes betrayers to the faith?

As has already been said, life is way too short.  Enjoy your coffee any which way you prefer it.

--Jerome
aecletec

Espresso: Presso
Grinder: Faema A6
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 5:24am

If the coffee is prepped well enough then sugar is not only unnecessary, but hides the flavour of the brew. I don't take milk either. That masks coffee more than sugar to my taste.
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 3:07pm

mdf007 Said:

After three years of espresso exploration I have a question.  Let's just say I know a guy that puts sugar in his espresso.  What I have not read about or heard about is whether this is a horrible practice and viewed as offensive if done in full view of the barista.  So, is adding sugar lame?

Posted January 25, 2011 link

I read all following posts, I personally take with or without sugar depending on mood... still in Italy we say DOLCE IL CAFFE', AMARE LE DONNE and that goes : sweet the coffee, love women (amare means bitter (plural feminin) and also to love)
Thanks to God, we all have very personal taste buds...and there is nothing lame either way...(still it is true that a poor espresso does not taste as bad if you add sugar or milk...)
Ciao, Pietro
ilcaffedio

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 3:31pm

Sure, and on that same token, a well prepared espresso does not need sugar.
Do you want to eat an apple that is naturally sweet, crisp, and delicious, or do you have to add sugar to your apple to enjoy it?
Some amazing apples exist that go way beyond that former deacription, and the nuances vary from one variety or origin to the next.
The same is true of espresso and specialty coffee.
With all of this quality coffee and wealth of information avalaible in the specialty coffee world; if you still have to add sugar, "yer doin' it wrong".
aecletec

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 3:57pm

I didn't realise that Italian espresso is the pinnacle of espresso anywhere. I guess I should fill my doser and start adding sugar?
jsaliga
jsaliga

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 4:26pm

ilcaffedio Said:

if you still have to add sugar, "yer doin' it wrong".

Posted January 26, 2011 link

It could be, and indeed has been argued that since espresso is an Italian creation that they are doing it right in Italy and eveyone else is doing it wrong. ;-)  Naturally the folks here would resist that argument since they are doing it differently and would not want to be perceived to be on the wrong side of tradition.

I get a helluva good chuckle when coffee devotees on an internet forum believe they are going to define for everyone else how they should enjoy their coffee.  I think advocacy is a great thing when not taken to extremes.

--Jerome
ginalola

Espresso: Alex Duetto II; Pasquini...
Grinder: (2) Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 4:47pm

"Suum Cuique"...To each his own!
aecletec

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 4:52pm

jsaliga Said:

Naturally the folks here would resist that argument since they are doing it differently and would not want to be perceived to be on the wrong side of tradition.

Posted January 26, 2011 link

I think the very nature of constantly striving to improve flies right in the face of tradition.
On the other hand, coffee started in Ethiopia. The rest of you are all doing it wrong.
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350332975388)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+