Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Is adding sugar lame?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ilcaffedio

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 9:44am
Subject: Re: Is adding sugar lame?

I'm pretty sure that what CCC means by that copy is that it pairs well with desserts in the southern Italian tradition.  Milk based espresso beverages are regarded as breakfast items or espresso beverages for children (I.E. an accompaniment of pastries would be common).

I've only had La Forza once.  It cuts through milk better than something like Apollo (which is best as espresso).  It's excellent in a cappuccino.

CCC is solely a roaster, they don't have a shop.  Their regional training centers hold public cuppings on Friday mornings at 10 am; a wealth of coffee education is provided.  In return, they get cupping notes/feedback on their product from actual customers and John Q. Public.  Afterwards they let you pull your own shots on their equipment if you know what you're doing, and even if you don't know what you're doing they'll help to a certain degree.  In Raleigh/Durham, you get a tour of their roastery.

Disclaimer: I don't work for CCC.
 View Profile Link to this post
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 10:18am

aecletec Said:

It's criminal!

(So... maybe not lame. ;D)

Posted February 3, 2011 link

Well...by analogy that about answers the OP question ;)
jsaliga
jsaliga
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 10:33am

ilcaffedio Said:

I'm pretty sure that what CCC means by that copy is that it pairs well with desserts in the southern Italian tradition.  Milk based espresso beverages are regarded as breakfast items or espresso beverages for children (I.E. an accompaniment of pastries would be common).

We must be reading different copy then or my understanding of plain English is deficient (a distinct possiblity I have to admit).

http://counterculturecoffee.com/laforza

"the espresso enjoyed in local coffee bars is strong and sweet."

"This is the Southern Italian and Sicilian interpretation of the Mediterranean coffeehouse, where people gather to drink strong, sweet coffee."

How that might literally translate into "pairs well with desserts" escapes me.  Sweet is sweet.

CCC might be wrong in its assertion, but the copy is as plain as day.  Oh, the evils of sugar! :-D  Your post does give me an interesting idea, though.

--Jerome

Note to self: Call Hostess Cakes and talk to them about producing a espresso flavored Twinkie.
DavecUK

Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 10:49am

The only "lame" thing would be not to have your drink exactly as you like it, just because someone else might think it's "lame" or an incorrect way to have it!

If you want to add barbecue sauce to espresso and that's how you like it....just go ahead and enjoy it.
carlsilver

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 11:10am

DavecUK Said:

If you want to add barbecue sauce to espresso and that's how you like it....just go ahead and enjoy it.

That's ok...but what's the point of coming to a coffee geek site then???
ilcaffedio

Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 11:17am

Dave this isn't specifically directed at you, but It is possible to be overly politically correct.  That attitude reinforces the commodity coffee mindset and completely disregards the efforts of specialty coffee industry, and what we have strived to become.  It disregards the work of everyone from seed to cup.  

For example,
The farmer says: "Why bother if everyone is just going to add sugar, barbecue sauce, etc...  I'll get lazy with my farming, and just sell my crop to Folgers, or Nestle (they'll buy anything) and get a fraction of what I get paid from Direct Trade.  Sorry kids, we can't afford dinner tonight."

The specialty buyer/roaster says: "Why bother if everyone is just going to add sugar, barbecue sauce, etc...  No one's buying my coffee because it's more expensive than the cheap stuff that they can just add sugar and syrup.  I'm treading water, maybe all of this direct trade isn't worth the effort.  Another year of this, and I'll have to close the business.  Sorry kids, we can't afford dinner tonight."

The Barista says: "Why bother if everyone is just going to add sugar, barbecue sauce, etc... No need to perfect my skill to provide the best possible espresso beverage or customer service.  I'm the face of specialty coffee, and I'm a part of something which makes a positive difference in third world countries; but it's a lost cause it all tastes the same in the end if you add sugar or syrup.  I guess I'll go back to my measly under $10/hour wage because I'm unskilled, and I don't care.  Sorry kids, we can't afford dinner tonight."
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 11:39am

DavecUK Said:

The only "lame" thing would be not to have your drink exactly as you like it, just because someone else might think it's "lame" or an incorrect way to have it!

Burger King's slogan: "Have it your Way".

Harvey's slogan: "Just the way you like it".
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 11:56am

ilcaffedio Said:

I've only had La Forza once.  It cuts through milk better than something like Apollo (which is best as espresso).  It's excellent in a cappuccino.

CCC is solely a roaster, they don't have a shop.  Their regional training centers hold public cuppings on Friday mornings at 10 am; a wealth of coffee education is provided.  In return, they get cupping notes/feedback on their product from actual customers and John Q. Public.  Afterwards they let you pull your own shots on their equipment if you know what you're doing, and even if you don't know what you're doing they'll help to a certain degree.  In Raleigh/Durham, you get a tour of their roastery.

Disclaimer: I don't work for CCC.

Well, since Italians do add sugar often enough, from the slightly ambiguous wording from CCC's post, I can't tell which way they mean it.  I have a bag of Forza on its way, my first time trying it, so I'll get to decide for myself how it fares on its own...  I really enjoyed my bag of Klatch House Espresso I just went through, and I thought I wouldn't since it was a "chocolate bomb milk" blend next to Belle....but it actually produced PHENOMINAL sweet & salty shots (as addicting as chocolate pretzels!) so I need to try Forza :)  I actually wasn't find of Apollo 3.0, the first one I tried...I found it boring next to Aficionado and Rustico.  I also find Toscano boring and one dimensional.

"Espresso beverages for children." That phrase really says it all, doesn't it? ;)

Pulling Rustico shots an an FB80.....that sounds like a fun day ;)
TheMadTamper

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 12:08pm

ilcaffedio Said:

Dave this isn't specifically directed at you, but It is possible to be overly politically correct.  That attitude reinforces the commodity coffee mindset and completely disregards the efforts of specialty coffee industry, and what we have strived to become.  It disregards the work of everyone from seed to cup.  

For example,
The farmer says: "Why bother if everyone is just going to add sugar, barbecue sauce, etc...  I'll get lazy with my farming, and just sell my crop to Folgers, or Nestle (they'll buy anything) and get a fraction of what I get paid from Direct Trade.  Sorry kids, we can't afford dinner tonight."

The specialty buyer/roaster says: "Why bother if everyone is just going to add sugar, barbecue sauce, etc...  No one's buying my coffee because it's more expensive than the cheap stuff that they can just add sugar and syrup.  I'm treading water, maybe all of this direct trade isn't worth the effort.  Another year of this, and I'll have to close the business.  Sorry kids, we can't afford dinner tonight."

The Barista says: "Why bother if everyone is just going to add sugar, barbecue sauce, etc... No need to perfect my skill to provide the best possible espresso beverage or customer service.  I'm the face of specialty coffee, and I'm a part of something which makes a positive difference in third world countries; but it's a lost cause it all tastes the same in the end if you add sugar or syrup.  I guess I'll go back to my measly under $10/hour wage because I'm unskilled, and I don't care.  Sorry kids, we can't afford dinner tonight."

There's a lot of truth in this.  Adding things to coffee...fine.  But what's the point of buying an expensive well crafted well blended drink if it's to obscure the flavor? Perhaps the proper solution is to buy something other than shots if you don't like the flavor of shots :)  It does effectively negate the whole point of specialty high end coffee.  Now I realize some people are talking about adding just a dab of sugar to offset a certain blend profile, but I think that's really not the origin of the thread, and requires a much more refined palate to appreciate in subtlety.  You'll find that person dosing sugar by a .001g scale or counting crystals as they drop them in every bit as OCD as the barista prepares the shot.

Most of the "sugar in espresso" we're talking about is the "I don't like it if it's not sweet enough" crowd, that really means "I don't like espresso normales, so I make it something different."  Maybe, for some, ordering the espresso instead of the cappuccino in the first place was every bit as much of pretension of looking "proper" instead of ordering the "lamer" drink they really wanted as some claim the barista would be doing by taking offense?  I mean, the barista prepares sweetened drinks...machiatto, cappuccino, latte, espresso con pana (some cafes), why not just order one of those drinks if you don't like the espressos?  It doesn't make it wrong for someone to like it with sugar, but I do also believe that there's a fair number of people who order espressos that don't actually like espressos, but order it because they believe it gives them status or creates an image that they're "in with the culture" in enjoying the "pure" or "more refined" drink.  "I'm tough, I can handle it!" (*Gets out sugar packets...)  Sort of a macho thing.  It would be interesting to see how many males order espressos then try to make it palatable to them by adding sugar, versus how many females do that rather than just buying the sweetened milk drink they really wanted without fear of looking "weak" :)
ilcaffedio

Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 12:23pm

TheMadTamper Said:

Well, since Italians do add sugar often enough, from the slightly ambiguous wording from CCC's post, I can't tell which way they mean it.  I have a bag of Forza on its way, my first time trying it, so I'll get to decide for myself how it fares on its own...  I really enjoyed my bag of Klatch House Espresso I just went through, and I thought I wouldn't since it was a "chocolate bomb milk" blend next to Belle....but it actually produced PHENOMINAL sweet & salty shots (as addicting as chocolate pretzels!) so I need to try Forza :)  I actually wasn't find of Apollo 3.0, the first one I tried...I found it boring next to Aficionado and Rustico.  I also find Toscano boring and one dimensional.

I think you'll like Forza then.  It's probably going to be a little more sensitive to brew temperature.  I liked Apollo in it's earlier versions, though I haven't had it lately.  Aficionado, and Rustico are underrated, I wish more shops would use them.  Coffee and Crema in Greenville, SC (excellent, btw) uses Rustico for decaf.    Toscano is my least favorite among those mentioned, but it is the most common CCC offering used for espresso in shops around ATL.

TheMadTamper Said:

"Espresso beverages for children." That phrase really says it all, doesn't it? ;)

Yes it does! :-D

TheMadTamper Said:

Pulling Rustico shots an an FB80.....that sounds like a fun day ;)

Along with a Robur E, and the latest crop from Aida Batille and others, I highly recommend it!  I had Apollo before they had a name for it... ;-)
showing page 8 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is adding sugar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367326021194)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+