Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
keeping the machines from freezing
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > keeping the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jasoncase

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: unic diva, rancilio s-20
Grinder: futurmat
Drip: bunn cwt
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010, 10:28pm
Subject: keeping the machines from freezing

hey,

looking for ideas on keeping the machines from freezing. i live in the northeast and i run a small espresso/coffee truck. (8x12 trailer)
temps are starting to drop and i'm trying to figure out the best method to insure the machines don't freeze. right now, i'm running a small space heater on low, but, i'm wondering if there's something better to do.
i've got a UNIC diva single group, a bunn cwt plumbed in and a hot water heater. the truck is getting infrequent use right now but, bringing in the machines is too time consuming because they are mounted to the truck.
anyone have any thoughts on this? thanks
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010, 11:12pm
Subject: Re: keeping the machines from freezing

Recreational Vehicle supply sources will have water system antifreeze made for keeping parked RVs from freeze damage. Check into that.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 3:34am

The best option would be to get it parked in a garage with low-level heating.

Assuming that isn't available, it might be worth looking at a Webasto or Eberspächer vehicle heater - it should be possible to control them with some sort of freeze alarm system.

Cheers

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
jasoncase

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: unic diva, rancilio s-20
Grinder: futurmat
Drip: bunn cwt
Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010, 12:02pm

hey guys,

thanks, garage would be best, i know, but unfortunately i don't have access to one that would work.
i guess the space heater is the best way to go for now. would it make sense to try and install an easy access boiler drain on the espresso machine? the UNIC has a standard bottom drain i was thinking i could attach a pipe and a valve running to a hose on the outside of the machine. but, then there's  still the water in the exchanger that i couldn't really get to...
i guess i'll keep thinking while i run the little heater at night..
DigitalSorceress
DigitalSorceress
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cuisinart EM-200
Grinder: Barataza Virtuoso
Posted Tue Nov 23, 2010, 8:30am

I'm no expert on the topic, but I have owned an RV in New England, so that's where I'm coming from...

I think your idea of installing easy-to-access drain plugs and/or plumbing is probably the best approach. The important thing is to make sure you can get ALL the water out of the tanks AND the lines, so in addition to whatever you come up with for drains, I'd recommend coming up with a way to apply compressed air to the system to blow out residual water / liquids in the small tubes and lines as well.

If you're just packing up the thing for the whole winter, I suppose anti-freeze might be okay, but personally, I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to get all the stuff out in the spring. I'd hate to think that some plastic/vinyl tubing/part of your water tank or pump system might absorb some flavor / odor from whatever you use, and you end up re-plumbing. Years ago, I managed a candy store that had a soda machine and I learned the hard way that once I put root beer in one of the lines, I could never run anything else through that hose without it tasting / smelling slightly of root beer. While I'm sure that modern anti-freezes for potable water systems are designed to not be toxic or particularly malodorous, I would still think that fully purging the lines with air would be the easiest to do and least likely to cause problems.

Cheers,
Digit
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Nov 23, 2010, 1:25pm

re:the anti-freeze. The stuff sold in the RV stores will (or should) be totally fine in any sort of plastic or silicone pipes since that is what most RVs are plumbed with, and the systems are designed for drinking water.

Funny though - Was just outside winterizing the RV and was thinking about this thread. I had drained the RV's system a few weeks ago via the two supplied drain valves (push-pull type) installed at the factory. But with temps in the low 20's forecast for tonight I decided to be sure. I have an adapter I made with a male air tool fitting soldered to a male hose bib fitting. This allows me to connect the air compressor in my garage to the water system's "line-in" inlet whee we normally would connect to city water. I imagine that you could do much the same thing. First drain the system as best you can (the boiler drain and such to the outside is a good idea). After that, you would need to have a way to switch off all the electrical heating elements while allowing full use of the machine so that you could switch to brew mode so that the air pressure could blow out the HX. There are probably other ways to do what, but I suppose it would depend on the vehicle's water system and the espresso machine. But you want to be sure that there is no way for the heating elements to be powered on before the system (boilers, hot water heater, etc.) are filled.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > keeping the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225085020065)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+