Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Cuban - brewed with raw sugar
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Cuban - brewed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sun Nov 14, 2010, 12:22pm
Subject: Cuban - brewed with raw sugar

I was searching old posts and came across one with a long list of different types of espresso drinks - and one jumped out at me:  espresso cubano - brewed with raw sugar.  

I did a little googling and discovered, as I half expected, that the sugar is put in with the coffee grounds in the espresso machine.

I wondered where would it go?  On the bottom? On the top? Mixed in?  I figure if it were mixed in with the grounds I'd be promoting channeling as the sugar disolved and left voids.  So I ground and tamped normally - but a slightly smaller dose - and then sprinkled a little raw sugar (those large, brown sugar crystals) on top of the coffee puck.  Not much, just a sprinkle.  Pulled a shot and it worked wonderfully.

I did a few extra backflushes and shower screen scrubs with a brush - but I would expect all that sugar disolved early in the extraction (I hope so, I'd hate to plug up my solenoid valve with sugar) - it was a lot sweeter than the same amount of sugar stirred in later so I'll use even less sugar next time I try this.  

Anyway, it was just a fun little experiment - I normally don't use sugar or milk, just straight espresso - but it was fun to learn something new I can try when making a drink for others who like it sweet.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Nov 14, 2010, 4:19pm
Subject: Re: Cuban - brewed with raw sugar

Cafe Cubano
? cafe Cubano
How to make an Argentine Cortadito
Sugar in portafilter

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
kopidrinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Mon Nov 15, 2010, 12:54am

Andy and Jason,

I think what one of the comments made on one of those links made sense to me. It's about how a sugar syrup is less likely to overextract. I don't know if this is true. Perhaps it provides a buffer?
However, I do know that I am a fan of cafe Cubanos at Epicenter. Made with sugar in the portafilter, on top of the puck. Adding sugar after makes a totally different drink. Check it out when you're in the city.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Posted Mon Nov 15, 2010, 8:11am

I just had another one this morning.  I did it the same way - normal grind and tamp and then sprinkled raw sugar on top.   It definitely is different than adding the sugar afterwards and not just the sweetness but the texture of the espresso - it does seem like the extraction is different.
artichoke

Posted Mon Nov 15, 2010, 10:55am

I just tried it and it had two effects, in my very nonscientific and not-very-repeatable experience with my Krups machine:

(1) It got rid of some sourness or bitterness (not sure which it would have been since I get either or both, but most recently bitterness with these beans / grind -- so that would jibe with the observation that it minimizes overextraction.)

(2) It made the coffee taste somewhat raw.  This makes sense, if the sugar is coating the granules and preventing a full extraction from happening.  Thinking back to when I used to get "Cuban coffee" from a lunch spot in NYC midtown with their cool old gas-fired espresso machine, that may have tasted a bit raw too, although I liked it -- maybe they did the same thing.

It did take the edge off the bitterness so that I wasn't motivated to put raw honey in the espresso as I usually do.
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Mon Nov 15, 2010, 1:15pm

This is intriguing....but scary too.   Doing this in a machine with a solenoid or E61 lever.....the long-term effects of sugar buildup in an $$$ machine would be ghastly, I would think.  And I'm not sure Cafeza would break down hardened sugar...

Though it may warrant a steamtoy to give it a try ;)
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010, 1:35pm

I was listening to the radio (NPR) and they had a cooking expert on - someone asked why they could soak dry beans overnight and still not get them to cook no matter how long they boiled them.  The expert said it could be old beans or it could also be hard water (that surprised me).  Said that minerals in the water cause the water to not be able to get into the cells to soften them.   As an example, they mentioned that you can add molasses or brown sugar to the water and then cook beans much longer without them getting mushy.  Said that the minerals and sugar in the cooking water prevented the cells from breaking down so fast.

This got me wondering if that is why I get such a different (I think better) espresso extraction when I put the raw sugar on top of the tamped coffee puck.

Anyway ...  I still occasionally pull a shot this way and I continue to be amazed at how well it works and how thick and rich the espresso seems - the mouthfeel is really nice.
LiteOnPhotography

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Braville Xl
Grinder: bunn
Drip: bodum
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 9:41am

yeah, I really like cubanas.  The sugar is something that many people that are espresso drinkers don't like.  The sugar is on top and its adds a creamier texture.  Make sure you backflow often and won't have a problem with the solenoid.  We probably make over a dozen everyday at the store I work for.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Cuban - brewed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242246866226)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+