Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Tried freezing some Terroir beans and.........
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Tried freezing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
psaigh
psaigh
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Z9 (lever piston),...
Grinder: Roburr E, K10, KR1203, Mini,...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2, 3
Drip: Kona, aeropress, melitta,...
Roaster: 5 Senses
Posted Thu Feb 12, 2009, 3:27am
Subject: Re: Tried freezing some Terroir beans and.........

MarkPrince Said:

IMO no, they won't.

Buy fresh roasted. Use. Buy more fresh roasted. Or roast at home.

Posted February 12, 2009 link

I'll second that.

Though, i have had decent (not great, but decent) results when freezing coffee within 2hours off the roast.  Obviously this wouldn't be possible with freighted coffee.

...Ian

Http://www.bar9.com.au
Http://BarNine.Blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/BarNine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
docnlaw

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Proteo Grande
Grinder: Macap m4 stepless doser
Drip: Bunn-o-matic
Posted Thu Feb 12, 2009, 6:25am

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will wait on the sideline while other geeks run the above mentioned study.  For now, I think I will just pay the extra price of shipping and spend the time enjoying the espresso.  The frozen bags will need to be made casualties of freezing.
 View Profile Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Thu Feb 12, 2009, 5:00pm

Real data on freezing coffee as opposed to opinions: http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

John
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Feb 12, 2009, 8:33pm

JVBorella Said:

Real data on freezing coffee as opposed to opinions: http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

Maybe it goes without saying based on my previous response, but I don't agree with the findings in that test, as admirable as the effort is.

Crunching numbers doesn't always have a correlation or relation to taste. And I'd like to point out, the bulk of that experiment is based on subjective taste as well - in other words, opinions. Lots of science and number crunching too, but sometimes, you can throw too much science at something that's better done with experienced tasters alone. Otherwise, the CoE would just be run by hooking up a bunch of machines to the brewed coffee, and "spitting" out the results.

Based on taste, and based on doing freezing experiments on my own and with some experienced coffee guys in town here in Vancouver, I am not a proponent of freezing roasted coffee.

If someone wants reasonably good coffee and espresso in the home, your options are buy fresh roasted, use in a reasonable time, then buy some more fresh roasted. Or roast your own.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:59pm

IMO freezing roasted coffee beans is acceptable when the beans are used to pull espresso. Since an espresso brings out the main flavor of the bean, a little loss of the main flavor due to freezing isn't that detrimental because an espresso has such a concentrated flavor. Because an espresso does a poor job bringing out the delicate flavors of a bean, if freezing beans reduces the delicate flavors, it won't be very noticeable in an espresso anyway.

When making press pot coffee there is a lot more focus on all the delicate flavors, so if freezing beans reduces those delicate flavors it will most definitely be noticeable when making press pot coffee.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009, 7:31am

MarkPrince Said:

Based on taste, and based on doing freezing experiments on my own and with some experienced coffee guys in town here in Vancouver, I am not a proponent of freezing roasted coffee.

If someone wants reasonably good coffee and espresso in the home, your options are buy fresh roasted, use in a reasonable time, then buy some more fresh roasted. Or roast your own.

Mark

According to you. I've been vacuum bagging & freezing roasted coffee for 1.5 years & I am a proponent of freezing coffee. Used within a reasonable amount of time & frozen properly I've found that the flavor holds up just find as have many others. To each his own.

John
Bushrod

Espresso: Vivaldi II, Elektra MCaL
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C20B
Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009, 7:40am

I'm really happy that my palate is not developed enough to taste the difference between previously frozen and totally fresh!  I get 5 lb bags from gimme! and split into quart mason jars then freeze.  I've never been disappointed with the results.

Rich A
BrainInAJar
BrainInAJar

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancillio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: no thanks
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 49th Parallel
Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009, 5:51pm

JVBorella Said:

"real" data from Ken Fox ( who claims that 14g is an absolute maximum because that's how the Italians do it ), and a couple of his undefined friends that nobody's heard of, but he assures us they "love espresso" (but still don't know how to make the stuff). Even with a palate that unrefined, one of Ken's buddies was still able to taste the difference.

I can't really say that that's damning evidence right there...
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009, 6:10pm

BrainInAJar Said:

"real" data from Ken Fox ( who claims that 14g is an absolute maximum because that's how the Italians do it ), and a couple of his undefined friends that nobody's heard of, but he assures us they "love espresso" (but still don't know how to make the stuff). Even with a palate that unrefined, one of Ken's buddies was still able to taste the difference.

I can't really say that that's damning evidence right there...

Posted February 13, 2009 link

Perhaps you can refer us to more complete study on the subject that you have conducted???

Dan Brewer
JWFokker

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Aerobie Aeropress
Posted Sat Feb 14, 2009, 12:00am

Even vacuum-sealed flash-frozen food goes completely bad after a while. To say that there isn't a significant difference between fresh roasted and freezer stored coffee is naive.

And one "study" with far too many uncontrolled variables is hardly proof otherwise. The lack of a study performed by individuals who are against freezing roasted coffee doesn't make that one flawed study any more valid or accurate.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Tried freezing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337891101837)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+