Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Wet Puck vs Dry Puck
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wet Puck vs Dry...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TVC15

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 25, 2008, 1:35am
Subject: Wet Puck vs Dry Puck

Is the following statement correct?

"A dry puck can not be achieved without a solenoid switch on the espresso machine."
 View Profile Link to this post
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jun 25, 2008, 4:05am
Subject: Re: Wet Puck vs Dry Puck

Hi TVC15,

Welcome to the boards!

Most machines that give you a dry puck will have a solenoid.  But you can also get a dry puck without one, it just takes more time.  Without a solenoid you have to let your pf sit in the grouphead or on the drip tray for 3 or 4 minutes before knocking it out.  But having a non-pressurized portafilter is essential to the process, otherwise the water is retained in the basket because it isn't under pressure.

A more accurate statement would be "A dry puck can not quickly be achieved without a solenoid switch on the espresso machine."

Hope this helps,
-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:30am

TVC15 Said:

Is the following statement correct?

"A dry puck can not be achieved without a solenoid switch on the espresso machine."

Posted June 25, 2008 link

What is the matter of dry or wet puck with solenoid switch?  What solenoid switch is really?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
olph4rt
olph4rt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Modded Nemox Caffe Fenice
Grinder: Compak K6 / Nemox Lux /...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:51am

pstam Said:

What is the matter of dry or wet puck with solenoid switch?  What solenoid switch is really?

Posted June 27, 2008 link

If you know that you get a dry puck because the pressure that is released from the brew is instantly relieved by the 3-way valve...sucking off the top water from the puck in the process so the portafilter can be quickly removed, without burping boiling grinds all over you, then there are other benefits.  If you have a 3-way (in this thread "they" are calling it the solenoid switch)...then you know that you start with a dry puck.  Armed with this info, if you encounter a wet puck, then you will know that something is wrong.  You can't get that kind of analysis without it.  You're pucks can tell you a lot...like reading tea leaves to tell me my future.  

-Alan :D, who feels badly that he has broken the run-on-sentence laws...and who gets gut rot from black tea, and therefore has no future to foretell.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jacbri
jacbri
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip/Astoria Super...
Roaster: Behmor 1600/digital scale
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 8:56pm

olph4rt Said:

If you know that you get a dry puck because the pressure that is released from the brew is instantly relieved by the 3-way valve...sucking off the top water from the puck in the process so the portafilter can be quickly removed, without burping boiling grinds all over you, then there are other benefits.  If you have a 3-way (in this thread "they" are calling it the solenoid switch)...then you know that you start with a dry puck.  Armed with this info, if you encounter a wet puck, then you will know that something is wrong.  You can't get that kind of analysis without it.  You're pucks can tell you a lot...like reading tea leaves to tell me my future.  

-Alan :D, who feels badly that he has broken the run-on-sentence laws...and who gets gut rot from black tea, and therefore has no future to foretell.

so with the 3 way valve the puck should be relatively dry? My pucks generally are free of water on top, but definitely wet if I take the portafilter out immediately. If  I wait a few minutes then the puck is dry.
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 9:36pm

olph4rt Said:

......  You're pucks can tell you a lot...like reading tea leaves to tell me my future.  .

Can you?  I never heard it.  Hehehe,,,  :)

About the wet or dry puck, it is fully depends on the amount of coffee ground.  If the ground is small, there is space for water and the puck will be wet.  If the ground is quite much, there will be no free space for the water and the puck will be dry.  For wet puck, if it is left for a while, the water will be steamed out and the puck become dry.  This is our own understanding.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Wet Puck vs Dry...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282606840134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+