Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
"Settling" the Grounds...
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > "Settling" the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Sat Nov 28, 2009, 8:23pm
Subject: Re: "Settling" the Grounds...

Nearly four years later, I'm tinkering with this again.  If you want to see my little experiment, it's on YouTube now.  Note how QUICKLY the grounds collapse into the basket.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 28, 2009, 8:30pm

JR Said:

Note how QUICKLY the grounds collapse into the basket.

Posted November 28, 2009 link

That is just too cool....I wonder why I don't remember this thread?  

Now - what if the vibrator looked like a hockey puck (or portafilter fork - or tamping stand) and you could level by just setting a filled portafilter on the puck for a few seconds?  Wouldn't that be a cool little device for a shop (or home bar)?

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Nov 28, 2009, 10:06pm

I use a vibe table like the small one in this link:
http://www.fosterdental.com/pages/vib.htm
I first put the basket with the grounds on the table with a canning funnel and declump with a small wire whisk as the vibrator is running.  I then put the basket in the bottomless handle, remove the funnel and with the portafilter handle on the vibe table I vibe and tamp. I started vibing and tamping with just the basket then putting it into the handle.  I found that putting the basket into the handle first cut down on the occurrence of squirties.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Nov 28, 2009, 11:43pm

Interesting idea.

The August 1941 edition of Popular Science (Google Books) has a project on how to make an engraving tool from a transformer... pretty simple circuit, I believe that could be built into a tamping stand.  The frequency is just the 60 cycle AC from the household current.

My mother gave my kids a bar of soap that vibrated when you took it out of the base.  It was 80% plastic box with 20% soap around it so it didn't last long, but something like that might be interesting if the amplitude was right.

Other ideas are the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner tanks or massagers.

-Chris

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
PJK
PJK

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2009, 12:40am

The cannining funnel which I mentioned is a modified one from my "Cvilized Rocky":

"I civilized my Rocky"

I don't bother with all that pre-tamping stuff with the plastic tamper any more.  I just grind, brush and purge the grounds into the basket with funnel, then lift the basket and funnel out of the former doser chamber, place them on the vibe table and de-clump.  After de-clumping I place the loaded basket into the handle, level and tamp with the portafilter on the running vibe table as I tamp.

Phil

PJK Said:

I use a vibe table like the small one in this link:
http://www.fosterdental.com/pages/vib.htm
I first put the basket with the grounds on the table with a canning funnel and declump with a small wire whisk as the vibrator is running.  I then put the basket in the bottomless handle, remove the funnel and with the portafilter handle on the vibe table I vibe and tamp. I started vibing and tamping with just the basket then putting it into the handle.  I found that putting the basket into the handle first cut down on the occurrence of squirties.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
JR
JR

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2009, 1:00pm

JonR10 Said:

Now - what if the vibrator looked like a hockey puck (or portafilter fork - or tamping stand) and you could level by just setting a filled portafilter on the puck for a few seconds?  Wouldn't that be a cool little device for a shop (or home bar)?

That's exactly what "Bertie Doe" on the Home-Barista.com forum did.  I think the dental vibrator is probably just too violent.  But I'm with you, I've been thinking of how to make practical application of anything that might be learned from these experiments.  In the two or three threads where it's come up on the H-B forum, the terms "torture devices" and "Rube Goldberg" machines come up when discussing this AND the WDT.

I linked the video here, and embedded it into a post on the H-B forum (that thread started out discussing the WDT).  I'm hoping to get the discussion started again.  So far, no takers over there.

One thing I forgot to mention.  In my experiments, once the grounds settled, if I continued to apply vibration, clumps began to FORM.  It took barely more than two seconds to achieve the maximum benefit and at about four seconds  I started noticing fragmentation and clumping.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
PJK
PJK

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2009, 3:22pm

Hi Jack,

The dental vibrator in Bertie Doe's post which you linked is the same as mine.  If you are concerned that it is too violent you can turn it down to a very gentle vibration.

I got mine new from some eBay seller for about $30.

Phil

JR Said:

That's exactly what "Bertie Doe" on the Home-Barista.com forum did.  I think the dental vibrator is probably just too violent.  But I'm with you, I've been thinking of how to make practical application of anything that might be learned from these experiments.  In the two or three threads where it's come up on the H-B forum, the terms "torture devices" and "Rube Goldberg" machines come up when discussing this AND the WDT.

I linked the video here, and embedded it into a post on the H-B forum (that thread started out discussing the WDT).  I'm hoping to get the discussion started again.  So far, no takers over there.

One thing I forgot to mention.  In my experiments, once the grounds settled, if I continued to apply vibration, clumps began to FORM.  It took barely more than two seconds to achieve the maximum benefit and at about four seconds  I started noticing fragmentation and clumping.

Jack

Posted November 29, 2009 link

Philip J. Keleshian
JR
JR

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2009, 3:47pm

Phil,

You may have reported here or somewhere else, but how does it work?  Does it help?  My conclusion that they're "too violent" was based on someone's results that were not too favorable.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
PJK
PJK

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2009, 8:25pm

Hi Jack,

Here is the string which prompted to get the dental vibrator:  "Dental Vibrator v clumping"?LastView=1259478288&Page=1   I see that you posted in that string.

I think that the vibrator works well although I am still developing my technique.  The biggest change from the time of that string is that I don't tamp the grounds until I put the basket into the handle.  Apparently the shock of putting the basket into the handle disturbed the puck.  A lot of squirties went away after I started tamping with the basket in the handle.  The bottomless portafilter rests pretty well on the vibe table.

Phil

JR Said:

Phil,

You may have reported here or somewhere else, but how does it work?  Does it help?  My conclusion that they're "too violent" was based on someone's results that were not too favorable.

Jack

Posted November 29, 2009 link

Philip J. Keleshian
JR
JR

Posted Sun Dec 29, 2013, 3:12pm

I know this topic is ancient, but I just noticed that I never posted a link to the video of the experiment. Here it is:
http://youtu.be/Xup5blwRS2U

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > "Settling" the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366366863251)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+