Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Espresso Shrines
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso Shrines  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 29 of 95 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
rudedog

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Gaggia, Spidem
Grinder: Rocky DL, Maximo
Vac Pot: not yet
Drip: Zoji, Presto Scandi
Roaster: SC/TO, I-Roast, popper
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 3:40pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Shrines

tenacioustommy Said:

hello.
how did you attach the temp readout to the group head?
Tom

Posted October 23, 2005 link

I believe there is a how to on home-barista.com
Got the temp device(meat therm) from Target or target.com
Went to Ace hardware and got a bolt the same size and length as the one thats in there.
Drilled a hole in the middle of the bolt all the way through and stuck the wire from the therm to protrude just farther than the end of the bolt.
Then sealed up the holes in the bolt where the wire goes in and out with some JB Weld.
I use it as something to go by but not sure it is a true representation of the actual water exiting the group.

Some remarks...
Use original JB Weld instead of the "Quick JB", the original is twice as strong and has a higher temp threshold. This was used to adhere the wire to the inside of the bolt only. DO NOT put it on the threads.

The bolt does not need to be longer than the original... But the problem you may find is that the head of the bolt where you would tighten it may not clear the space given where the original was. In order to get it tightened 'down' I shaved the sides of the head of the bolt with a bench grinder. Afterwards I was able to tighten it all the way down with a needle nose pliers and no teflon tape.

The Target thermometer... The black part of the therm will pull straight off the shaft with the wire included. No cutting was needed and excess wire can be stored inside the black part of the therm. You can gently pry the plastic parts apart to reveal the insides. This is what you would do to replace the battery anyway.

This is just my experience, you could email me if you want. This is probably off topic and CG probably does not want me posting a how to without disclaimers and all that. Sorry if this does violate any rules.
 View Profile Link to this post
tenacioustommy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 4:20pm

rudedog Said:

I believe there is a how to on home-barista.com
Got the temp device(meat therm) from Target or target.com
Went to Ace hardware and got a bolt the same size and length as the one thats in there.
Drilled a hole in the middle of the bolt all the way through and stuck the wire from the therm to protrude just farther than the end of the bolt.
Then sealed up the holes in the bolt where the wire goes in and out with some JB Weld.
I use it as something to go by but not sure it is a true representation of the actual water exiting the group.

Some remarks...
Use original JB Weld instead of the "Quick JB", the original is twice as strong and has a higher temp threshold. This was used to adhere the wire to the inside of the bolt only. DO NOT put it on the threads.

The bolt does not need to be longer than the original... But the problem you may find is that the head of the bolt where you would tighten it may not clear the space given where the original was. In order to get it tightened 'down' I shaved the sides of the head of the bolt with a bench grinder. Afterwards I was able to tighten it all the way down with a needle nose pliers and no teflon tape.

The Target thermometer... The black part of the therm will pull straight off the shaft with the wire included. No cutting was needed and excess wire can be stored inside the black part of the therm. You can gently pry the plastic parts apart to reveal the insides. This is what you would do to replace the battery anyway.

This is just my experience, you could email me if you want. This is probably off topic and CG probably does not want me posting a how to without disclaimers and all that. Sorry if this does violate any rules.

Posted October 23, 2005 link

rudedog,

thank you for all the info, will check out the home-barista.com site

Tom
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cannonfodder
cannonfodder

Espresso: ElektraA3,Faema2G, Isomac,...
Grinder: Cimbali, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Dont smoke pot or vac it.
Drip: Press pot
Roaster: Hottop, drum roaster
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2005, 8:54pm

Like this. I did it for a contest over at HB, easy to make.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
the_laminator
the_laminator
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 1987 Olympia Cremina after...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Braodway Cafe, KC MO
Posted Wed Nov 30, 2005, 1:07am

OK, Here's my addition to the place of worship.

the_laminator: Alter.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://retouchMOJO.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
short_black
short_black

Espresso: La Cim Jun S1
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Iberital
Roaster: 1/4 share broken(;-() Imex
Posted Thu Dec 1, 2005, 5:59am

the_laminator Said:

OK, Here's my addition to the place of worship.

Posted November 30, 2005 link

Really sweet, now with a name like the_laminator I'm guessing you made the bench top? Maybe even the Bench too?
GRB
GRB

Espresso: Expobar Minore
Grinder: Mazzer Kony
Drip: ru serious?
Roaster: oven but for beef
Posted Fri Dec 2, 2005, 3:49am

Here's a temporary shrine for ya.  For one afternoon short_black's SO was less than happy and GRB's was more than happy.  The net happiness didn't change though because espresso machine bench space is a conserved quantity.  Can't win can ya?

GRB

GRB: cg pic 1000.jpg
(Click for larger image)
martroy

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Innova I-1 d/l
Posted Mon Dec 5, 2005, 7:23pm

Here is my humble setup:
- Innova Dream
- Innova I-1 d/l
- Lava Tamp deluxe
- Illy "Rufus Willis" esppresso cups
- eBay (no name) boiler thermometer
- Home made knock box

martroy: Innova_800.jpg
(Click for larger image)
the_laminator
the_laminator

Espresso: 1987 Olympia Cremina after...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Braodway Cafe, KC MO
Posted Thu Dec 8, 2005, 11:56am

short_black Said:

Really sweet, now with a name like the_laminator I'm guessing you made the bench top? Maybe even the Bench too?

Posted December 1, 2005 link

Thanks. Well actually my forum name has nothiing to do with my skills. My last name is Lamy and some one dubbed me the Laminator on another forum so I went with it! The cabinet was purchsed at Nebraska  Furnature Mart in Kansas City.

http://retouchMOJO.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2006, 2:56pm

Wow....incredibly beautiful setups everyone.   Just recently took this shot for another thread, but it belongs here.

GrantT: Coffee 011.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
SkyRyders90

Espresso: LM GS/3
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2006, 3:01pm

GrantT Said:

Wow....incredibly beautiful setups everyone.   Just recently took this shot for another thread, but it belongs here.

Posted February 8, 2006 link

Is that an Alton Brown salt cellar in the lower left hand corner?

-- Steve

All of life’s big problems include the words ‘indictment’ or ‘inoperable’ - everything else is small stuff. -- AB
showing page 29 of 95 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso Shrines  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383056163788)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+