Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Why do many CoffeeGeeks dislike drip coffee?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Why do many...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue May 17, 2005, 7:02am
Subject: Re: Why do many CoffeeGeeks dislike drip coffee?

explorateur Said:

i've noticed while browsing the espresso sections of this forum that some people don't care at all for drip coffee.  why is that?

Posted May 16, 2005 link

In fact, the brewed coffee is also staple on our coffee menu too.  I do not think it will disappear, because it is always the choice for some clients.  And, I do not really believe that it will loose all of clients at all.

I enjoy the espresso and drip coffee in different ways.  For espresso, it is so strong and tasty.  I can be satisfied by espresso and its rich tastes.  While for drip coffee, I like it too because I can feel many different tastes from one origin beans to the other.  For example, I can feel the very pleasent sour from the Harar beans of Ethiopia.  If we make it as espresso, I do not think that we can have the same taste.  It is mainly because the espresso can draw the tastes from the very deep of the beans and therefore the tastes are not two much different.

Maybe my description is not very clear, but it is my feeling.

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue May 17, 2005, 9:40am

I like drip coffee...No cream...No sugar...Just make it black...
 View Profile Link to this post
explorateur
explorateur
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: pasquini livia
Grinder: astra mega, rancilio rocky...
Drip: melitta clarity w/swissgold
Roaster: eventually
Posted Tue May 17, 2005, 2:12pm

thanks for the replies.  good to hear that many espresso drinkers don't turn their noses at well-made drip.  i hope some people who don't drink drip will respond with their thoughts

pstam Said:

In fact, the brewed coffee is also staple on our coffee menu too.  I do not think it will disappear, because it is always the choice for some clients.  And, I do not really believe that it will loose all of clients at all.

Posted May 17, 2005 link

obviously drip coffee has its place in market.  my question was concerning individual coffeegeeks. :)
pstam
pstam

Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 4:32am

explorateur Said:

obviously drip coffee has its place in market.  my question was concerning individual coffeegeeks. :)

Posted May 17, 2005 link

Yes.  It seems that the drip coffee will have more market if they can be made very well.  But, this is really hard to do for those commercial coffee shops, but easier for those relaxing coffee shops, where the clients can be patient enough to wait longer for their coffee.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
RKEM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Isomac Gran
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 11:59am

Maybe conditionning ... I've had bad espresso but by far the worst "coffee horrors" have been of the drip type ... tepid liquid that turns almost grey when you add milk to it. I've also seen coffee place take a coffee pot almost empty that's been sitting on a burner for god knows how long ... and just dump a new "load" of brewed coffee in it ... thereby creating an entirely new pot of bad coffee.

When done properly, with good coffee, with the right temp and the right amount of coffee ... it can be very good.

However, given the choice between a good drip and a good cappa, for me the choice is always the cappa.
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 3:46pm

pstam Said:

While for drip coffee, I like it too because I can feel many different tastes from one origin beans to the other.  For example, I can feel the very pleasent sour from the Harar beans of Ethiopia.  If we make it as espresso, I do not think that we can have the same taste.

Posted May 17, 2005 link

I agree that a brewed coffee extracts different (and otherwise missed) flavors than pressure-extracted espresso (90% of the coffee I drink).  But these are not the only 2 methods to compare.  IMO, press gives all the benefits of drip, but offers more control of the final cup--in my case, I like the thick muddy quality that I get with a finer grind and shorter immersion.  For guests who like a cleaner cup, I will brew the vac.  For me, the only benefit of drip is that it requires no particular attention to brew a 10-cup pot.
Martin
kymchee8

Espresso: Isomac Millennium, Alex...
Grinder: Cunill Tauro
Vac Pot: Hario, Silex
Drip: Worthmore
Roaster: Breadmaker/HG, Behmor
Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 4:17pm

When I feel like having something other than espresso or non-espresso drinking friends are over, I often get out my 20 plus year old French press. But just as often it's an old three part aluminum drip pot that I bought at a garage sale in the 70's. With good coffee it brews a great cup, though it is also what I am used to. I've wondered what temp it is actually brewing at when you boil the water, dump it in the top and it gets a chance to drip through the tiny holes. But I do love the simplicity -- no electricity, no filters and you can pack it for camping!
pstam
pstam

Posted Wed May 18, 2005, 6:35pm

heatgunroast Said:

IMO, press gives all the benefits of drip, but offers more control of the final cup--in my case, I like the thick muddy quality that I get with a finer grind and shorter immersion.  For guests who like a cleaner cup, I will brew the vac.  For me, the only benefit of drip is that it requires no particular attention to brew a 10-cup pot.

Posted May 18, 2005 link

Press is really the simplest method of brewing coffee, and fully controled by yourself.  In general understanding, it need rather coarse grinding and longer extraction time.  IMO, its ground cannot be too fine because it may destroy the taste even reduce the extraction time.  If the ground is coarse properly, in 4-6 minutes, you will have very good cup.

kymchee8 Said:

I've wondered what temp it is actually brewing at when you boil the water, dump it in the top and it gets a chance to drip through the tiny holes. But I do love the simplicity -- no electricity, no filters and you can pack it for camping!

Posted May 18, 2005 link

Not only the temperature, but also the coffee ground, water, extraction time may be different for each of the beans.  That is why I think it is difficult to make them at the best quality.

In commercial shops, one has to make all the coffee in a very short time, or even before they are served.  In this case, one use all the same machine, same water, same temperature and everything same.  This can make only averaged quality of drip coffee.  It is never the best.

If in a relaxing coffee shop, one prepare the beans roasted at the best, but different stages for each beans or blend; using different tools and therefore grinding differently, and extract in different time.  For each kind of beans or blend, one has to know how to make it at the best, so that its typical tastes can be show at the best.  So, it is also a time cost work to know all the best conditions.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
Mr_Bingley
Mr_Bingley
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 9:03am

i don't like espresso, i much prefer drip.

that's the nice thing about coffee which people at times forget: there is no "best" way, but rather how you like it.
GeorgeA
GeorgeA

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Doserless
Vac Pot: Hario Deco; Cory
Drip: Melior French Press;...
Roaster: Not just yet, but leaning
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 4:55pm

I go back and forth.  Sometimes I will drink drip and then back to only espresso.  And the sometimes press and vac pot.  Guess that is why I love coffee!
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Why do many...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346817016602)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+