Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Why do many CoffeeGeeks dislike drip coffee?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Why do many...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
explorateur
explorateur
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: pasquini livia
Grinder: astra mega, rancilio rocky...
Drip: melitta clarity w/swissgold
Roaster: eventually
Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 9:34am
Subject: Why do many CoffeeGeeks dislike drip coffee?

i've noticed while browsing the espresso sections of this forum that some people don't care at all for drip coffee.  why is that?

personally, i've never consumed much drip coffee.  i grew up drinking espresso, and later began using french presses and vac pots.  however last month i bought a my first drip set-up, a melitta clarity and a swiss gold filter, and with freshly roasted and ground beans, i am really enjoying the results.  since i'm not using paper filters, i'm not getting the "papery" taste that's often associated with drip.  while i still prefer the flavors of espresso and will always be a french press junkie, i'm finding drip can be really good and nice change.

is it that drip coffee is often of poor quality, or something about the brewing process, or past trauma with bad drip? other than the matter of personal taste, is there anything specifically that makes drip coffee undesirable among some coffee connoisseurs?

i'm not sure if this may appear to be a silly question, but i was just wondering.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 10:06am
Subject: Re: Why do many CoffeeGeeks dislike drip coffee?

Hi Valerie,

I would think that most people who don't like drip coffee is that almost all of these brewers brew at too cool a temperature & take too long to brew a full pot. Anything much over 5 minutes brew time you will be overextracting.
Too cool a temp for brewing & the resulting brew is sour, & too long (or too hot) a brew it'll be overextracted & pulling undesirable bittering constituents into the brew.The main exceptions being the Technivorm series of brewers, the Melitta Clarity, Presto, Bunn brewers & I'm sure some others I'm not aware of. {:-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 10:11am

Most people who don't like drip have had only weak or tepid drip.  Drip done right can almost rival press-pot or vacuum.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 10:48am

Some like to think that if you do not drink espresso (or French Press) or whatever, you are not cool.  Don't buy it.

I consider myself a CoffeeGeek, and my espresso machine gets turned on about 3 times a week, but my drip is on about 10-14 times a week.

By the replies to your question so far, be assured - drip is not dead!

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 10:53am

explorateur Said:

i've noticed while browsing the espresso sections of this forum that some people don't care at all for drip coffee.  why is that?

personally, i've never consumed much drip coffee.  i grew up drinking espresso, and later began using french presses and vac pots.  however last month i bought a my first drip set-up, a melitta clarity and a swiss gold filter, and with freshly roasted and ground beans, i am really enjoying the results.  since i'm not using paper filters, i'm not getting the "papery" taste that's often associated with drip.  while i still prefer the flavors of espresso and will always be a french press junkie, i'm finding drip can be really good and nice change.

is it that drip coffee is often of poor quality, or something about the brewing process, or past trauma with bad drip? other than the matter of personal taste, is there anything specifically that makes drip coffee undesirable among some coffee connoisseurs?

i'm not sure if this may appear to be a silly question, but i was just wondering.

Posted May 16, 2005 link

You so need a roaster!  I notice your details say "eventually" for a roaster.  I am telling you that those popcorn poppers with a simple mod will cost you about $20 and the results are awesome.  I actually have abandoned my BBQ drum, SC/CO, and Stovetop pan for the popcorn popper, unless I really need larger batches.

ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 10:58am

ChicagoSandy Said:

Drip done right can almost rival press-pot or vacuum.

Posted May 16, 2005 link

Hey!  What are you saying?  That drip isnt as good as press-pot or vacuum?!?! :-)

peter_van
peter_van
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: V60
Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 11:03am

I agree with the post above about overextraction. As well, I think that it is likely that drip coffee is actually prepared worse and less consistent than espresso! (EDIT: Well... really, maybe I'm wrong here...) I stopped drinking drip soon after I had started, due to the inherent layering in the cup. It starts off beautifully, with more body and similar aromas as a vac pot, but then moves off into the realm of severe bitterness. I detest that in drip. Besides, I can get similar body and consistent flavours in an americano. For me, the alternatives are better. But I am sure that when prepared properly (I have not witnessed the results of a Technivorm or a Clarity) I would be wowed by the difference. Mr. Coffee just doesn't do.

about.me? http://about.me/petervan
barista comps in canada? http://baristacanada.com
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 12:00pm

In my opinion I think you are more likely to get a poor espresso than a poor drip coffee.  

I happen to like brewed coffee.  I have become partial to french press and vacuum over drip but if done well drip is can be very good.  

I like espresso but I can't seem to give up on regular brewed coffee.  
Armed with a roaster, good green beans and good brewing equipment my regular brewed coffee is staple on my coffee menu.
JImSaborio
JImSaborio
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Anfim
Vac Pot: Yama w/ cloth fltr
Drip: Beehouse
Roaster: 49th & Ritual
Posted Mon May 16, 2005, 8:31pm

scubadoo97 Said:

Armed with a roaster, good green beans and good brewing equipment my regular brewed coffee is staple on my coffee menu.

Posted May 16, 2005 link

Amen.  I love drip coffee.

My favorite drip brewer was a Cuisinart Grind & Brew… it died.  I bought a newer model and used it for a few weeks.  The brew temp was too low.

I swear the first one I owned must have been manufactured on a blessed day

With a low brew temp, I have trouble tasting all of the flavors in my home roast.  That makes me not want to roast, which makes me buy coffee from the grocery store, which reminds me why home roasted coffee is so much better, which makes me not want to drink coffee, which makes me sad and withdrawn, which makes me buy a new brewing device.

I’ve wasted way too much money on coffee paraphernalia.  I’m too full of hate to waste any more.

I like my Hario Nouveau… even if I’ve broken and replaced every part except for the base…

-JIm

Michigeekery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim1992/
ericphilly
ericphilly

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Roaster: Hearthware I-Roast
Posted Tue May 17, 2005, 4:35am

I love espresso at home (Zaffiro, Rocky grinder, iRoast), but at work I use a
Mellita filter cone, and a Capresso whirly blade grinder all for the sake of simplicity.
I brew with water directly from a spring water dispenser with a hot water tap.
With my own home-roasted coffees this arrangement gives great results and
is super quick. I think there might be a difference between brands of filter paper
as to how much paper taste winds up in the coffee. With the right filters, there
is no paper taste. I also have a gold metal filter, but that's more to clean up.
  By the way, the Capresso grinder is an impressive little unit with a much more
uniform grind than my previous Krups blade grinder. Compared to the Krups, the
Capresso grinds slower, but the particles are much more uniform, and very little
dust is created. It wouldn't work well for espresso probably, but for drip it's good.

Eric
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Why do many...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34659910202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+