Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Great Idea
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Great Idea  
view previous topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeebeing
coffeebeing
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro,Silvia,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,Rocky,Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama,Cafetino,Silex
Drip: Cusinart Brew Central,...
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hearthware...
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2002, 3:02pm
Subject: Great Idea

For many folks the newsgroup, alt.coffee, is a bit of a challenge to get to.  This presents an easy to use alternative for them.  For others the options of adding pictures or files is a neat addition to the internet discussion experience.

I also rather like the idea of a moderated discussion board.  

I have high hopes for this great CoffeeGeek feature.

Thanks Mark and all the folks who worked on this !

George W.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2002, 3:31pm
Subject: Re: Great Idea

coffeebeing Said:

For many folks the newsgroup, alt.coffee, is a bit of a challenge to get to.  This presents an easy to use alternative for them.  For others the options of adding pictures or files is a neat addition to the internet discussion experience.

I also rather like the idea of a moderated discussion board.  

I have high hopes for this great CoffeeGeek feature.

Thanks Mark and all the folks who worked on this !

Posted June 26, 2002 link

Again,Many thanks to Mark,Wayne & everyone else who worked on & made all of this possible!! Having it moderated too,is a great idea to keep a watchful eye out if things get out of hand.Cheers! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2002, 11:59pm

I agree. I particularly like the regional forums -- Lets me really narrow down the reading. I'll still check alt.coffee every day, but I enjoy this forum more in general.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 12:14am

dana_leighton Said:

I agree. I particularly like the regional forums -- Lets me really narrow down the reading. I'll still check alt.coffee every day, but I enjoy this forum more in general.

Posted June 27, 2002 link

Same here, It's great to be able to click on a specialized forum link & your there!,without scrolling through 10,000 posts like on alt.coffee.I still spend lots of time there,but having these two specialized sources of information is super!

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
lizellis
lizellis

Espresso: Saeco Syntia Focus
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: BUNN ST Velocity Brew
Roaster: Behmor -  i-Roast 2
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 12:16am

So, Mark, can we have our own t-shirts?

liz
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 8:03am

lizellis Said:

Hi Liz, Yes! I love it!! Having a Coffeegeek T-shirt would be great,like the T-shirts Randy organized on alt. And the Coffeegeek logo'ed espresso cups & saucers,logo'ed cap cups & saucers. I remember Mark saying that after several emails to Italy about the possibility of the logo'ed espresso cups,& not getting a response,that it isn't(might not)be worth it. These are the same beautiful cups that David Schomer uses in his Vivace cafe,from the best porcelain manufacturer in Italy,Tognana.

Foxbat
Foxbat
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia
Grinder: Macap M4, Solis Maestro
Drip: Barista Aroma 8 cup
Roaster: HWP, HotTop
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 4:15pm

lizellis Said:

This is a pretty easy alternative for CoffeeGeek.Com shirts. CafePress does a pretty good job of print to order. It's not the cheapest solution in the world, but the prices can be set at any level over cost, allowing Mark to make a small profit as our way of contributing to the costs of running the site.

I've used CafePress to do one-off mugs and t-shirts for a project I was working on at Infogrames and for my web site, respectively. The mug was excellent quality; it's a large (14 oz?) ceramic, and the printing has stood up through multiple washing in the dishwasher.

The t-shirt was decent quality, and I understand they've gotten better since then. Also, their size range has expanded; when I ordered mine, they only went up to XL.

I'm not going to post the link, as I don't want to violate the "no advertising" policy, but any interested parties can probably find their site from the information listed above.

Bruce

Bruce Harlick
Game Designer, Writer, and Editor
ICQ #4166560
www.newblackboard.com
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 4:43pm

Foxbat Said:

This is a pretty easy alternative for CoffeeGeek.Com shirts. CafePress does a pretty good job of print to order. It's not the cheapest solution in the world, but the prices can be set at any level over cost, allowing Mark to make a small profit as our way of contributing to the costs of running the site.

I've used CafePress to do one-off mugs and t-shirts for a project I was working on at Infogrames and for my web site, respectively. The mug was excellent quality; it's a large (14 oz?) ceramic, and the printing has stood up through multiple washing in the dishwasher.

The t-shirt was decent quality, and I understand they've gotten better since then. Also, their size range has expanded; when I ordered mine, they only went up to XL.

I considered cafepress at one point, but a couple of things stopped me

• Other guys that I know who run community sites have had really bad experiences with them, to the point where they dropped the "store"

• If I sell anything with the CoffeeGeek logo on it, I want it to absolutely reek of quality and "the best", esp. in the area of cups, mugs, tampers, etc.

I'm not going to post the link, as I don't want to violate the "no advertising" policy, but any interested parties can probably find their site from the information listed above.
Bruce

Oh no!!

K, this is one thing I was worried about. I don't want people to tip toe around "posting rules" here, worried if something will or won't break the rules and "incur a moderator's wrath!"

Basically, if Cafepress came in to these forums and said "hey, buy our stuff... link link link", then that would be a clear break of the non-commercial status.

If someone legitimately comes in and says "check out this stuff I saw at this site, link, here's why it's cool, etc etc etc" I don't consider that commercial and wouldn't ban it - in fact, I want those kinds of posts.(sneaky internetmarketing book readers excepted, but there's a way to find those people out).

Now if some guy continually posts the same promo message for a supposedly unrelated business, then that is taking it a bit extreme, and I'd probably privately email the person to say, please stop, your posting is in the records, people will find it if they use search, etc etc

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Foxbat
Foxbat
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia
Grinder: Macap M4, Solis Maestro
Drip: Barista Aroma 8 cup
Roaster: HWP, HotTop
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 7:14pm

CoffeeKid Said:

Oh no!!

K, this is one thing I was worried about. I don't want people to tip toe around "posting rules" here, worried if something will or won't break the rules and "incur a moderator's wrath!"

I left out the little smiley face that was supposed to go with my comment... but thanks for the clarification, Mark. I won't be so cautious in the future (but it helps that I don't have any online businesses to push. :P )

Bruce

Bruce Harlick
Game Designer, Writer, and Editor
ICQ #4166560
www.newblackboard.com
view previous topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Great Idea  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325922012329)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+