Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Tamping
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Tamping  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DaveS

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 9:21am
Subject: Tamping

I am slowly learning the art of espresso and I have started to look more at how I am tamping.  I have read a lot here about the NSEW method and have been looking at the recent stuff from Schomer.  I started to actually stick my finger in the coffee in the portafilter to feel how uneven it is before I tamp and realised that there is often huge unevenness in there.  I have started now gently pressing the grounds down in the PF with my finger  to feel how compacted they are before I tamp and to try to level the playing field before the tamp - often I will find a spot which will almost collapse beneath my finger and will get a little more coffee in it as a result (almost feels like I am leveling off a sand bed before laying a patio now)  I do now seem to be getting more consistent shots and the pucks that come out after dont have those suspicious little pin pricks in them that were the source of my problems before I think.  Does anybody else mess around to this extent - any tips on tamping I should be aware of?
 View Profile Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 10:14am
Subject: Dosing and Tamping

I've noticed the same thing. Especially with a dosing grinder, coffee grounds often drop into the portafilter in clumps. This is troublesome, especially when you read that dosing is often 90% of the problem in pulling bad shots.

Recently I've been experimenting with stirring the grounds around with a dissecting needle to break up clumps and improve the distribution before entering my tamping routine. So far I've been pleased with the results. Attached is a collage that shows distribution before and after stirring, the tamped puck, and the shot.

I'd welcome feedback on this from the pros. Any downside to stirring the grounds before tamping?

RapidCoffee: DosingCollage.jpg
(Click for larger image)
rileys
rileys
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea AV 2-group...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Nicro Knock-off; Sunbeam;...
Drip: Melitta cone; Chemex CM-1;...
Roaster: Diedrich IL-7 (work)
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 11:22am
Subject: Re: Dosing and Tamping

RapidCoffee Said:

Any downside to stirring the grounds before tamping?

Posted April 6, 2005 link

PITA and unnecessary.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Pe_tah
Pe_tah
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Isomac Gran Macinino
Vac Pot: Bodum chambord 2 cup french...
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 2:04pm

what is PITA?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Sacramento, CA
www.flickr.com/photos/pe_tah
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
reeeneeee
reeeneeee

Espresso: expobar pulsar, elektra...
Grinder: mutant mazzer SJ, capresso...
Vac Pot: bodum mini santos
Drip: bodum FPs
Roaster: fr+8, poppery I
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 2:22pm

my guess is "pain the the [rear end]"
...kinda like PETA! :o)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
rileys
rileys

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 3:30pm

yep.   pain in der rear
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 3:52pm

rileys Said:

PITA and unnecessary.

Thanks for the, uh, concise response. Are you saying that dosing/distribution is unnecessary? I thought dosing was an important part of the espresso routine. Sweeping the grounds back and forth with your finger in an X pattern to distribute the grounds, as Schomer advocates, is just as much of a PITA. What do you recommend?
stash
stash

Espresso: ECM Botticelli II, Bialetti...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zass 169DG
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum eSantos
Drip: Presto Scandi
Roaster: Hottop & I-Roast
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 4:39pm

rileys Said:

yep.   pain in der rear

It probably depends on your grinder to some degree.  I think it probably is helpful if you have a grinder that tends to "clump" the grounds.  Some grinders, like the Solis Maestro, are known to do so.
rileys
rileys

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 4:43pm

RapidCoffee Said:

Thanks for the, uh, concise response. Are you saying that dosing/distribution is unnecessary?

dosing/distribution is very necessary.  swishing about with a very small tool is unnecessary, when you have a satisfactory tool attached to your hand already.  from a pro perspective, such a small tool would become lost/broken/lost/etc in a short time, requiring baristas to revert to using their finger...  so...  why not stay with the finger if the tool doesn't do a significantly better job.

almost all the dosing/distribution schemes i've seen in the past few years have been overkill.  get a consistent dose of coffee in the basket; spread it around w/o playing with it too much (ever work concrete?); tamp to whatever force feels comfortable; brew.

whatever ritual you develop, the key things are that it works, and that it's consistent.

--barry "quality doesn't have to be complicated"
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2005, 8:46pm

rileys Said:

dosing/distribution is very necessary.  swishing about with a very small tool is unnecessary, when you have a satisfactory tool attached to your hand already.  from a pro perspective, such a small tool would become lost/broken/lost/etc in a short time, requiring baristas to revert to using their finger...  so...  why not stay with the finger if the tool doesn't do a significantly better job.

What can I say? I'm a guy! I like tools! The only thing better would be a power tool! (Maybe I can find a power needle at the local tattoo parlor...)

But seriously, that's exactly why I tried it: the needle breaks up clumps of finely ground coffee more effectively than my pudgy fingers. I wouldn't recommend this for a barista in a commercial environment. But for an amateur at home, it's just another piece of kitchen gadgetry.

rileys Said:

almost all the dosing/distribution schemes i've seen in the past few years have been overkill.  get a consistent dose of coffee in the basket; spread it around w/o playing with it too much (ever work concrete?); tamp to whatever force feels comfortable; brew. whatever ritual you develop, the key things are that it works, and that it's consistent.

There certainly are lots of approaches. Let's see, I've tried the Schomer distribution scheme (haven't quite got the hang of the Stockfleth maneuver), the Schomer and Staub tamps, and others suggested on this site (overfill and cram under group head, partial fill and light tamp, etc.). No one technique has consistently stood out, hence the continued explorations.

One thing I have noticed: overdosing the basket helps significantly whenever I distribute with my fingers. Maybe it's just the extra coffee, but perhaps I'm also getting a better distribution with a mound of coffee to work down into the basket. This effect seems less pronounced when I stir the grounds.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Tamping  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356469869614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+