Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Best Espresso for Mochas?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Fri Sep 24, 2004, 5:57pm
Subject: Re: Best Espresso for Mochas?

Also, to increase the boldness reduce the amount of milk going into the drink by 1-2 ounces.   You can search out smaller cups, so your 'clients' don't experience half-cup dissappointment.

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sat Sep 25, 2004, 9:59am

In my opinion the chocolate is equally if not more important. Galler cocoa powder is the best I've found. You need to add some sugar, it is pure cocoa. Hard to mix, too. Or just buy one of their 70% chocolate bars, melt in a small pan on the stove in some milk, then add it to your frothed milk/espresso. Insane.

Nate
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2004, 10:55am

poison Said:

In my opinion the chocolate is equally if not more important. Galler cocoa powder is the best I've found. You need to add some sugar, it is pure cocoa. Hard to mix, too. Or just buy one of their 70% chocolate bars, melt in a small pan on the stove in some milk, then add it to your frothed milk/espresso. Insane.

Nate

Posted September 25, 2004 link

That is essentially the main question: are you featuring the coffee, or are you featuring the chocolate, or trying to balance both, so the sum is greater than the parts?  Mochas which feature the chocolate (or use too much chocolate) basically overpower any coffee in the drink (hence the hot chocolate comparo).  

Nate: I find the first method you listed to be the best way to make a mocha.  I'd add a slight amount of hot water to saturate the powder, then pull the shot onto the chocolate.  Popular among cg-ers is to also sprinkle cocoa on top of the shot, then pour your milk.  A very awesome trick that may have originated with Dismas Smith, of Zoka, is to very coarsely grind some coffee beans over the foam: the scent and aroma from the beans when your client brings the cup to her face tends to create a positive reaction.  

Any additional thoughts?

Saskatoon SK Canada
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2004, 1:13pm

MM: here's a brainy idea, try using the black cat WITHOUT the chocolate - if you haven't yet.  The lack of carbon burnination in Black Cat results in a coffee that does not require copious amounts of sugary chocolate to hide the lackluster roasting capabilities of SBUX.

Saskatoon SK Canada
MochaManiac
MochaManiac
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Posted Sat Sep 25, 2004, 2:39pm

poison Said:

Nate

I'm not sure if I'm willing to go to all that trouble to add chocolate to my drink.  Well, maybe if I was in an especially festive mood.  :D

espressobsessed Said:

Also, to increase the boldness reduce the amount of milk going into the drink by 1-2 ounces.

Posted September 24, 2004 link

Ah, yes!  I've discovered this with the Black Cat.  Good advice.

espressobsessed Said:

MM: here's a brainy idea, try using the black cat WITHOUT the chocolate - if you haven't yet.  The lack of carbon burnination in Black Cat results in a coffee that does not require copious amounts of sugary chocolate to hide the lackluster roasting capabilities of SBUX.

You know, you're absolutely right.  I have noticed that the Black Cat almost tastes like a mocha without adding chocolate!

Something I've been trying is adding a couple of spoonfulls of whipped cream right into the expresso, add just a smidgen of chocolate syrup and stir.  Now add a little beat of steamed milk.  Wow.  Excellent.

I think I'm not as concerned about the type of chocolate.  I think I really want the coffee flavor to be the star with a bit of chocolate accents and the creamy sweatness of a little whipped cream.

Thanks for all your thoughts.  I appreciate the tips.

It is my dream some day to open a coffee shop.  But right now I'm content to have my own little coffee shop at home.  :)
 View Profile Link to this post
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2004, 7:42pm

Sweet!  Reading this was actually a mini highlight for my day.  Here's why:

Mochas, from what I understand originated in Italy to mimic caffe lattes using coffees from the port of Mokha, Yemen.  Yemeni coffees are notoriously chocolatey.  The mocha was created in Italy as a replacement when supply of Yemen coffees began to grow short (or something like that) and the chocolate added to mimic the flavour of mocha.  

So when you said the BC tastes like there is chocolate already in there, it was a good sign.  This is because black cat uses high quality coffees and the chocolate comes from not overroasting the coffee akin to the starbucks/peet doctrine.  There of course are other coffees that are even more chocolatey than black cat.  Hines Public Market Coffee from Seattle, home of current USBC Bronwen Serna is a good one.  So is Vivace's Vita.

It sounds like you are on the road to being a true CG.  Way to go!  Any plans for a Silvia yet?

Saskatoon SK Canada
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2004, 8:30pm

FWIW - my mocha is a double-double espresso with one teaspoon of sugar (OK sometimes 2) and then dusted lightly with a 50/50 mixture of Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Cocoa mixed with Hershey's unsweetened dutched chocolate and then the milk added.  It ends up about 40% coffee and 60% milk.

The very best chocolately espresso I have ever made was Yemen Mokha Sunani roasted FC++ and rested 4 days.  OMG!!!  Now I have to roast some more....

JonR10: Apple2.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Espresso: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2004, 12:29pm

espressobsessed Said:

It sounds like you are on the road to being a true CG.  Way to go!  Any plans for a Silvia yet?

Posted September 26, 2004 link

lol.  Thanks.  I'd love to buy a Silvia, but .  . . um, I don't have quite the budget for it yet.  ;)   There are some things more important than coffee! :)

I think I've kind of hit a wall with the equipment I have.  I really can make some very good coffees, but obviously could get great, amazing results with different grinder/espresso machine (at least I assume).  Oh well.  Maybe some day.  

JonR10 Said:

The very best chocolately espresso I have ever made was Yemen Mokha Sunani roasted FC++ and rested 4 days.  OMG!!!  Now I have to roast some more....

Posted September 26, 2004 link

Oh, man, where's mine!!
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2004, 1:37pm

MochaManiac Said:

There are some things more important than coffee! :)

Posted September 30, 2004 link

Whaaaaat....?????   Sacrilege!!!

MochaManiac Said:

I think I've kind of hit a wall with the equipment I have.  I really can make some very good coffees, but obviously could get great, amazing results with different grinder/espresso machine (at least I assume).  

Posted September 30, 2004 link

HOME ROAST!!  I can't remember if you have said anything about roasting before, but I always say "you can start roasting for $20, and that includes the coffee beans".  It's easy, quick, and the results are wonderful!  

After that, the most pronounced difference I experienced was an equipment upgrade (the GRINDER).  I admit this can be expensive, the minimum is ~$120 and I always suggest the LUX or Innova conical burr grinders ($169 and $179).  A Zassenhaus would presumably be a big improvement over the Melitta Burr ($70 new or ~$30-40 on eBay).  The grinder does make a huge difference especially for espresso or French Press coffee.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
expobar

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2004, 1:45pm

I saw a krups Gusto today at my friend's house.  It looks like a capable little machine, but the PF is far too small to make a proper double.  

Jon, I know, it is odd people calling anything more important than coffee, but think about it.  Everyone's weird.  We jsut seem to be the only normal people, right?
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.372429132462)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+