Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Experience with Nespresso Capsules?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Experience with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 9:34am
Subject: Experience with Nespresso Capsules?

Hi folks:

I have decided to experiment with Nespresso for my office. Of the single-serve machines it seems to be the least undesirable. :) I had a gift certificate for WLL and so I got it for next to nothing - all I can lose is the cost of the capsules ($.70 ea).

Anyone tried a number of them (Original line versions, not Virtuosoline)? Any that are less undesirable than the others?

Also do you tend to brew ristretto, normale, or lungo on the Nespresso? Are some better for milk-based drinks than others?

In case it matters, my flavor preference runs toward the semi-brighter single-origin fruity/citrusy espresso - I'm currently brewing Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Wote Konga from Red Bird at home.

I am looking at the Arabica ones:
- Dulsao de Brazil: A pure Arabica coffee, Dulsão do Brasil is a delicate blend of red and yellow Bourbon beans from Brazil. Its satiny smooth, elegantly balanced flavor is enhanced with a note of delicately toasted grain.
- Rosabaya de Columbia: This blend of fine, individually roasted Colombian Arabicas, develops a subtle acidity with typical red fruit and winey notes.
- Cosi: Pure, lightly roasted East African, Central and South American Arabicas make Cosi a light-bodied espresso with refreshing citrus notes.
- Livanto: A pure Arabica from South and Central America, Livanto is a well-balanced espresso characterised by a roasted caramelised note.
They have some limited run capsules too:
- Cauca Grand Cru: grown in the green, rolling mountainous region of Cauca in Colombia, warmed by the equatorial sunshine. These Arabica beans have been diligently processed to highlight the genuine fruity-winey aromas and juicy taste.

I am sure these descriptors are wildly overblown for what ground coffee in a capsule can deliver, so take them with several grains of salt.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 7:56pm
Subject: Re: Experience with Nespresso Capsules?

Hi, Dana. I've sampled most of what's out there for Nespresso. My recommendation would be to pull short shots using the capsules, if possible. For milk-based drinks, I like Arpeggio. For a "fruity" shot by Nespresso standards, maybe Rosabaya or Cosi, and do look out for the limited editions (though I haven't tried that Cauca).

The most extensive review thread I've seen on these is here: Click Here (www.singleservecoffeeforums.com)

Full disclosure: I'm still a moderator on that site linked above (vestige of my single-serve days).
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 11:07pm

jbviau Said:

Hi, Dana. I've sampled most of what's out there for Nespresso. My recommendation would be to pull short shots using the capsules, if possible. For milk-based drinks, I like Arpeggio. For a "fruity" shot by Nespresso standards, maybe Rosabaya or Cosi, and do look out for the limited editions (though I haven't tried that Cauca).

The most extensive review thread I've seen on these is here: Click Here (www.singleservecoffeeforums.com)

Full disclosure: I'm still a moderator on that site linked above (vestige of my single-serve days).

Posted May 14, 2014 link

I still use Nespresso today, only because I still have ~200 capsules of various flavors.    Before I got into real espresso, all I had to make espresso at home was a Nespresso.  And being a noob to what was actually good, I found it very convenient for making rather delicious lattes that I felt were on par with lattes I was buying at coffee shops.

Now today, having my own setup and considering myself a little more than noob, Nespresso certainly it doesn't compare, but it's still very drinkable to me.  I am fortunately not a supertaster so I can still readily enjoy it.  

For straight espresso I only pull short doubles. That is two capsules at for a 1.6oz shot.   And my favorite are the more mild flavors, like Dulsao, Volluto and Rosabaya.  The are very easy to drink.  The stronger flavors like Indriya and Ristretto aren't terribly good on their own, but are quite good in lattes.

It's interesting the ones i've pointed out are arabica ones. I've never read the descriptions for them.  I always go by what my mouth tells me :)
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 6:49am

When I used my Nespresso I was mostly podding my own coffee, but that's a process that takes trial and error to get right.

My wife liked the Rosbaya & Dulsao.  Not too bad for the capsules.  I haven't tried their later specialty pods though.

(Off Topic:  I know everyone has different opinions on coffee, but I couldn't stand the *$ Verismo system.  They paid me to pre-release test that thing, and while the machine was interesting I didn't care for the "espresso" at all.  I used the money they paid me to get the Nespresso, as I liked it better.  Since then I have moved on to real espresso.  The prices per shot were marketed higher than walking 2 blocks and getting a shot from *$ directly too.)

I liked the Nespresso in comparison to Starbucks cafe espresso.  Packing my own pods was better than Nespresso pods, but getting the right pressure in the pod and a coffee that will extract nicely when ground, stored in the pod at room temp, and sits there for a couple days needs to be experimented with.  I used blends containing some robusta for that.  More than you want to mess with for an office I would think though.
OJM

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (Auber PID)
Grinder: Isomac Granmacinino
Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 2:11pm

My wife uses her Nespresso daily and I have an emergency refurb Nespresso machine at the office for late nights.  I have always liked the purple or dark brown "pills" as many a Nespresso drinker calls them...the ristretto or espresso shot is the way to go.  Lungo shots all taste watered down to me, especially if/when you add milk.  That said, my wife loves the blue lungo pods.  While Nespresso will never replicate the shots I can pull on my old Italian beast, don't let the snobs dissuade you from what is a very convenient way to enjoy espresso drinks without the mess or inconvenience of a grinder/maching setup, particularly as compared to *$ and DD.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 4:43pm

The ones with red checks to the left of the capsule are my favorites:

EricBNC: nespresso.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Experience with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234838008881)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+