Espresso: Espresso Blends
What I am loving right now
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What I am loving...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 7:09am
Subject: What I am loving right now

I am on my third bag of Daterra Sweet Collection: Minas Gerais, Brasil by Greenway coffee of Houston, TX.  http://www.greenwaycoffee.com  David and Ecky roast and know what they are doing.  The specific suggestion for this roast is: an 18 gr. dose with an output of 28-30 gr.  Pull the shot between 26-39 seconds.  David suggests to enjoy daterra at a lower temp, try 198-199f.
The cons: many geeks are turned off by beans sold in grams and by 12 oz bags.  Greenway sells this for $16 for a 300 gr. bag.
The pros: taste!, pretty forgiving of parameters and $1 charge for priority shipping.
Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 7:26am
Subject: Re: What I am loving right now

Buckley Said:

The cons: many geeks are turned off by beans sold in grams and by 12 oz bags.  Greenway sells this for $16 for a 300 gr. bag.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Though I understand the need for many people to try to get the best value they can for their hard earned money, I also find it odd that geeks are turned off by having to pay a premium for high quality. To me, that's part of being a geek about insert hobby here.

On topic, I agree with Buckley.  The coffees at Greenway are very good and worth buy. I have tried a couple of their Daterra blends (and others) and they've both been really good, each in their own way.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 7:49am

Thanks, Ron.  David and Ecky deserve increased recognition among geeks for the quality of their roasts.  I would sure like to see other people try them and, at best, appreciate them.
B
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 8:42am

yeah, ya know...we should have submitted them to the poll for the HB "list of favorites"!  Next year, I guess...

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 4:33pm

emradguy Said:

I also find it odd that geeks are turned off by having to pay a premium for high quality. To me, that's part of being a geek about insert hobby here.

Posted April 2, 2014 link

While I understand what you're saying, $16/300g works out to be just over $1.51 per ounce -- or $24.19 per pound; if you include the extra $1 for shipping, it's $1.606 per ouch, or $25.70 per pound.  

That IS a lot . . . or at least it seems like it to me.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 7:23pm

Yeah, maybe part of it is just me. I don't really look at the price of food (including coffee). For example, I would never have bothered with that math you just presented. There was a thread a while back discussing the price of a gallon of milk...and to this day I couldn't tell you how much I pay for one. In my house I do all the cooking and grocery shopping and we go through prolly 10 gallons a week.

Now, having said that. I do have my limits. Like...paying the premium for the Panama Geishas is ridiculous to me.

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 8:25pm

I do get it, but let me apologize in advance for the thread drift . . .

When I first got into the wine trade, I could buy the current vintage of Chateaux Lafite Rothschild, Margaux, Mouton, Latour -- and all the First Growths -- for $19.99 or less.  Grands Crus Burgundies?  $24.95 and under.  The very finest Napa Cabernets?  $20 and less . . .

Today, we're talking upwards of $1,000 for the current vintages of the very same wines, in some cases . . . do I pay it?  HELL NO!

The wines I generally buy these days (retail; not in restaurants) still cost $20-40, maybe $50, per bottle.  Were I to spend $100 for a bottle in a retail store, it had better be a damned good bottle!  (A friend of mine had a rather more explicit, graphic description.)

OK, when it comes to coffee, most of what I buy is from Red Bird.  I'm spending $12-14 a pound delivered.  For me to spend TWICE that amount, well, it had better be a darned good cup!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
coffeeshone

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 6:12pm

I gotta try this. I love Redbird daterra sweet blue for espresso. This sounds bangin'
300 gram bags? Jeez, I thought 12 oz sucked.

Anyone else find that as soon as you hit your stride, the 12 ounce bags is nearly crushed?

They should sell it as a kilo. thats the right amount.

Anyhow, they seem to be sold out, so that solves that.
Buckley

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 7:08pm

Dear Coffeeshone,
Two suggestions.  One is to email Dave through the website and beg to see if there isn't any behind the counter that he could scrape together for you - but maybe getting a little old by the time you get it.
The better idea is that sometime before June the Daterra farm releases their reserve pickings and Greeenway is allowed to buy some of it as a sort of loyalty reward program and then they roast it up nicely and it is some lovely stuff.  So, as a consolation, I would start checking Greenway around the end of May and see if they start offering their Daterra Reserve at that time.

Buckley
OJM

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (Auber PID)
Grinder: Isomac Granmacinino
Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 3:13pm

These sound great and I was thinking of pulling the trigger on an order, but the 12oz bags and pricing did make me question if it was worth it.  Your review pushed me over.  Will order tonight.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What I am loving...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252007961273)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+