Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Lighter than roasted
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Lighter than...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 7:21am
Subject: Re: Lighter than roasted

clm Said:

It may not be hard for you, but this is new stuff for me (how I became a sr member on CG is a mystery.)

Posted April 15, 2014 link

Hi Cindy,

I have an answer on why you're a senior member here: "Re: How to become a SENIOR MEMBER"

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 1:21pm

wow.  I'm impressed with your moderator catch...and I figured as much w/o reading all the FAQs.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 3:41pm

clm Said:

wow.  I'm impressed with your moderator catch...and I figured as much w/o reading all the FAQs.

Posted April 16, 2014 link

Ha, I taught him everything he knows. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 4:06pm

IMAWriter Said:

Ha, I taught him everything he knows. :>D

Posted April 16, 2014 link

Miss ya Rob!! {:'-(

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014, 2:31pm

clm Said:

Well, I was afraid it was me all along...my propensity to want to blame the tools rather than the carpenter.  I'll tweak my pour-over methods to see if I can extract some flavors other than the off-putting lemon.  I did notice an aged quality in the Kenyan, like bourbon, but it's subtle.  I'm using a LIDO grinder, and just read a post on HB that the LIDO may fare better with a finer setting even for pour-over.  It may not be hard for you, but this is new stuff for me (how I became a sr member on CG is a mystery.)
I'm shocked, shocked, that I must say no to oily beans - I thought the point of roasting was to extract some oil.  Redbird roasted beans are not obviously oily, but they are not bone dry in the grinder either.  
Q:  In all the light roasts, I notice that some chaff is left behind (not burned off).  Could the chaff be the offending taste sensation?

Posted April 15, 2014 link

My point that it 'should be easy' is just that; You heat water to 200F, you grind at 'medium' or so for a 3-4 minute brew, and get the coffee/water ratio in the right range for your taste. If all you get is lemon juice, then don't blame yourself, or your Lido. Just try another coffee and mark that one off your list.

The extra chaff is not a problem for the flavor. With lighter roasts it can stay in the crease more from the bean not expanding as much.

I wanted to make the specific point about surface oil on the bean, that it is a separate issue from under-developed roast; You can have a fully developed roast that is not oily at all and you could have an oily bean that is under-developed... (though less likely except with home roasts that run too fast and hot in the finish)

But an oily surface is a sign the bean cell structure has been broken down from higher temperatures, releasing the oils to the surface. If you like your beans with a bit of sheen, don't let me or anyone else stop you from enjoying them!
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014, 3:52pm

I've been talking to a new food science major about the oil in beans - she doesn't totally understand (she just graduated) but she says that heat excites the molecules which may give rise to the oil extraction.  I believe she indicated that oil resides near the cell outer walls.  It happens with nuts/spices too, and isn't always a bad thing.  There's that sweet spot where some aroma begins to release.  I know from cooking, that some oils are better suited to higher heat than others; more delicate oils are unstable and break down under high heat, making them unsuitable to eat.  Also, in roasting spices, it's said that the cooling process is important, the spices shouldn't continue to steam, but are removed from the heat source to cool quickly.

Funny thing - I kept trying the Kenyan, found it really fascinating/troubling at the same time, kept tweaking and still getting lots of acidity, but now that it's gone I miss it.  So maybe this is a matter of acquired taste and a broadening of my horizons.  I would have really liked to try it with just a hint of darker roast - it was so dry and fluffy, maybe that's ok, but highly unexpected.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Lighter than...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29399394989)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+