Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
A strange theroy I heard of
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > A strange theroy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Pazu

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: HG-ONE, FUJI ROYAL R220-DX,...
Vac Pot: KONO SK-2A
Drip: TIAMO 01, HARIO 02, TIAMO...
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 8:58am
Subject: Re: A strange theroy I heard of

Buckley Said:

A terse statement such as "espresso is blended, not roasted" can be taken as a logical statement containing two propositions (blended versus roasted), in order to imply that one supercedes the other.

In this case, we may infer that, of the two processes, good blending is rarer, harder to achieve, and/or more important in producing quality espresso, than the effects of roast.

OF COURSE the quality of the roasting is important, but we may also infer that, by comparison, good roasting is more common (perhaps not, thanks to *$), and more available than 'wizardry' in blending.  We can further infer that even excellent quality in roasting may produce only mediocre espresso if not blended well.

This opens up a whole argument about the current practice of offering single origin roasts as espresso drinks versus blends.
The ability of the espresso extraction to 'open up' the complex taste profile of a roast compared to brewing allows one to really 'get into' the total character of the interaction of the bean (ie, plantation, variety, climate) and the roast of a single origin.

If I may offer my own preference, I am not as curious and analytical as I am hedonistic and indulgent when I make a cup of espresso; therefore, I shun most single-origin offerings as subpar and go for the blend, if I have a choice.

B

Posted February 21, 2014 link

You have the point but single origin espresso with good beans are wonderful as well :)
Just tasted the SOE in Taiwan last week, Fika Fika Cafe, winner of Nordic Roaster 2013
 View Profile Link to this post
Pazu

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 9:03am

DanoM Said:

You need to upgrade your coffee house if all they can tell you about the beans is they are "French beans" or "Italian beans".  LOL  Unfortunately that may be the case at too many places.

Espresso Blend = a blend of beans roasted to compliment each other in the espresso cup
Espresso Roast = an (American?) nomenclature for roasted beans that are cooked/burned until they look like a pitch black espresso.  These roasts typically make a horrible espresso in the cup.  I think the idea is these are so dark and burned that even drip coffee will taste like a terrible $tarbuck$ shot!

Posted March 6, 2014 link

He was not talking about the espresso roast, I know your meaning of that dark oily beans :)
Pazu

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 9:07am

Dayglow Said:

I suppose it could depend on how you read the statement as a coffee for espresso can be made from combining numerous bean origins for a "profile" and batch roasting the whole lot together or -if you have the ability- each origin bean batch can be roasted to its own set amount and then the roasted beans combined in the desired proportions with the other origins so that no bean is "overroasted" or "underroasted" for the desired profile for that origin.

Posted March 6, 2014 link

I know roasters doing each of the above.
roasting different beans to the optimal level before blending and blending the raw beans before roasting in one go
I think the latter one require more skill in roasting.
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Mon May 5, 2014, 6:39am

z0mbie Said:

Not sure what you mean.  

The very nature of blending is to develop flavor profiles of roasts that would otherwise be inferior as an SO roast.

Originally, the words

"Espresso is blended, not roasted"

was said by someone here, maybe not coming now.

Since I had been supporting such an understanding very much, and quoted it all the time, even in the Chinese forums, as well as in our Barista Training courses.

It seems that not many people support it, really?  Maybe I am wrong.

And, due to the fact that I could not find the original words, and no more people support it, I would announce that it was my words.  If the guy ever here said it announce its right, I would quit.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 1:56am

Definitions are only worth diffusing much less debating if they actually change how you think about something.

On the case of espresso, why are we debating what someone else's definition if it stands no chance of changing anyone's opinion of anything?

This is just coffee babble.  I have absolutely no confusion what espresso is.
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 2:18am

In fact, this sentence says that,
"If the blend is not correctly blended, roast cannot imprve it."
Only if this was said, because many roasters did not have good blending technique, so they roasted their espresso blends to very dark, or even oily degree.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 9:13pm

Buckley Said:

The ability of the espresso extraction to 'open up' the complex taste profile of a roast compared to brewing allows one to really 'get into' the total character of the interaction of the bean (ie, plantation, variety, climate) and the roast of a single origin.

B

Buckley,
My posting is a mild disagreement with your statement regarding the ability of an espresso extraction to "open up" a complex taste profile.
This is certainly true for SOME varietals, but as an avid Kalita brew lover as well as espresso on a Strega, I can say with certainty that many SO coffee I have roasted and purchased were significantly more defined, flavors more easily delineated in the larger cup. In some cases, the Kalita was significantly sweeter, as well.

That said, the coffees I extracted in both manners was the same, meaning roasted for dual purpose. Perhaps some coffees roasted using differing roast profiles would present something else. That said, I prefer no roast taste in either espresso nor Kalita, though I eschew the ultra light roasts popular with many, even those purchased from recognized artisanal roasting companies.

Back on topic, I'll take a swing at the OP's question. I interpret it to be that if a green blend is just not skillfully put together, no matter how it's roasted,. light. darker, fast, slow, etc final result will not equal the sum of it's parts.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Sat May 31, 2014, 6:53am

Dr. John of Josuma Coffee, creator of Malabar Gold makes speeches and gives seminars at gatherings of coffee professionals around this subject.  His argument is, of course, that espresso is only a blend - in fact a blend that must contain some high quality robusta.  This definition encompasses his Malabar Gold.  He says, what many of us call espresso when it's an SOE is, in fact, only a very strong coffee.  Of course, it is a blend that must be roasted and he recommends a certain roast for his blend which you can buy from him either as greens or as roasted.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat May 31, 2014, 7:38am

(Dr. John) says what many of us call espresso when it's an SOE is, in fact, only a very strong coffee.

Hor$e$hit.  Espresso is neither a roast nor a blend, it's an extraction.

Ironically, so called "espresso" roasts never make acceptable espresso.  On the other hand, when brewed, they make for a brew with a burnt, bitterness many people unfortunately associate with espresso.  

There are plenty of good SOs which make great espresso, and plenty of blends which make great brew. The May bean from H-B's Roast and Learn project, "Jacinto Titirico" from Bolivia, pulls like a good, traditional, Italian style espresso blend. It's all body, chocolates and nuts even roasted as light as C+. What would Dr. John make of that?  

Moral of the Story: Don't let anyone tell you what you like.    

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Sat May 31, 2014, 12:50pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Hor$e$hit.  Espresso is neither a roast nor a blend, it's an extraction.

There are plenty of good SOs which make great espresso, and plenty of blends which make great brew. The May bean from H-B's Roast and Learn project, "Jacinto Titirico" from Bolivia, pulls like a good, traditional, Italian style espresso blend. It's all body, chocolates and nuts even roasted as light as C+. What would Dr. John make of that?  

Rich

Posted May 31, 2014 link

But, he's a nuclear physicist!!!  I'm just saying.......
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > A strange theroy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3360850811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+