Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
A strange theroy I heard of
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > A strange theroy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Pazu

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: HG-ONE, FUJI ROYAL R220-DX,...
Vac Pot: KONO SK-2A
Drip: TIAMO 01, HARIO 02, TIAMO...
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:55pm
Subject: A strange theroy I heard of

Somewhere in other part of the world I saw a quote
"Espresso is blended, not roasted"
Its hard to believe, first ignore the grammatical mistakes
Nice espresso blend can produce nice coffee, I agree
But if the beans are not roasted to the optimal level and taste, can blending reverse the bad taste?
And what about single origin espresso?

For open discussion, thank you :)
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 2:44am
Subject: Re: A strange theroy I heard of

Not sure what you mean.  

The very nature of blending is to develop flavor profiles of roasts that would otherwise be inferior as an SO roast.
Buckley

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 5:37am

A terse statement such as "espresso is blended, not roasted" can be taken as a logical statement containing two propositions (blended versus roasted), in order to imply that one supercedes the other.

In this case, we may infer that, of the two processes, good blending is rarer, harder to achieve, and/or more important in producing quality espresso, than the effects of roast.

OF COURSE the quality of the roasting is important, but we may also infer that, by comparison, good roasting is more common (perhaps not, thanks to *$), and more available than 'wizardry' in blending.  We can further infer that even excellent quality in roasting may produce only mediocre espresso if not blended well.

This opens up a whole argument about the current practice of offering single origin roasts as espresso drinks versus blends.
The ability of the espresso extraction to 'open up' the complex taste profile of a roast compared to brewing allows one to really 'get into' the total character of the interaction of the bean (ie, plantation, variety, climate) and the roast of a single origin.

If I may offer my own preference, I am not as curious and analytical as I am hedonistic and indulgent when I make a cup of espresso; therefore, I shun most single-origin offerings as subpar and go for the blend, if I have a choice.

B
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 6:33pm

Context sir, context. However, I believe its utilizing irony (sarcasm) to make a point. Its safe to assume the quote knows that you have to roast coffee in order to make espresso, while explicitly stating its not roasting that makes espresso. I don't think its trying to say roasting isn't important, but perhaps that blending an espresso is an entirely unique thing among roasting and or coffee culture.

e.g. "Whiskey is blended, not aged" - most whiskey is blended, but not all in the case of single barrels, but all whiskey is definately aged.

As far as the tasting side of it goes. I think single origins are like short stories with a few characters and alot of vivid detail; blends are more complex stories with more characters but not as much detail-per-character, but more characters present more potential for "interaction" and developement beyond their base selves. [/coffee romanticism]
flathead1

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni pro, 67...
Grinder: Macap M4, Lelit 53, Solis...
Drip: Bodium Press
Roaster: I-Roast1, Behmor, RK Drum
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 3:43am

While it may not be exactly true, doesn't Maxwell House have an Espresso Roast Coffee? The quote is saying Espresso is a process (blending beans) for making a coffee beverage not a degree of roast.
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 8:23am

Espresso is a by-product of ground roasted beans and water. its is like going to a coffee house, not a roaster and ask what kind of beans are in the Frrench roast, Italian roast, they will all most always say French beans or Italian beans. Ask the same question about the Espresso roasted beans and they look at you like, WT_ you talking about.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 9:02am

steamer Said:

Espresso is a by-product of ground roasted beans and water. its is like going to a coffee house, not a roaster and ask what kind of beans are in the Frrench roast, Italian roast, they will all most always say French beans or Italian beans. Ask the same question about the Espresso roasted beans and they look at you like, WT_ you talking about.

Posted March 6, 2014 link

You need to upgrade your coffee house if all they can tell you about the beans is they are "French beans" or "Italian beans".  LOL  Unfortunately that may be the case at too many places.

Pazu Said:

"Espresso is blended, not roasted"

Posted February 20, 2014 link

Espresso Blend = a blend of beans roasted to compliment each other in the espresso cup
Espresso Roast = an (American?) nomenclature for roasted beans that are cooked/burned until they look like a pitch black espresso.  These roasts typically make a horrible espresso in the cup.  I think the idea is these are so dark and burned that even drip coffee will taste like a terrible $tarbuck$ shot!
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 10:38am

I suppose it could depend on how you read the statement as a coffee for espresso can be made from combining numerous bean origins for a "profile" and batch roasting the whole lot together or -if you have the ability- each origin bean batch can be roasted to its own set amount and then the roasted beans combined in the desired proportions with the other origins so that no bean is "overroasted" or "underroasted" for the desired profile for that origin.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 3:38pm

DanoM Said:

You need to upgrade your coffee house if all they can tell you about the beans is they are "French beans" or "Italian beans".

Posted March 6, 2014 link

Agreed, but I don't think I have ever been told that . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Pazu

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: HG-ONE, FUJI ROYAL R220-DX,...
Vac Pot: KONO SK-2A
Drip: TIAMO 01, HARIO 02, TIAMO...
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 7:51am

z0mbie Said:

Not sure what you mean.  

The very nature of blending is to develop flavor profiles of roasts that would otherwise be inferior as an SO roast.

Posted February 21, 2014 link

That's my understanding as well but you still need properly roasted beans before blending, otherwise a good blend cannot be made.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > A strange theroy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302649021149)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+